The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 8 year old mare off a feedlot in June. She was underweight and her feet were in very bad shape and I’ve taken extreme pleasure in feeding her and getting her back into shape.
She 15.2 hands, narrow in the hips and shoulder with an overall delicate build.

She came with no history or breed lineage so I sent DNA samples to Etalon in the hopes of having a least an idea of her breed!

Her test results will be back some time next week and I was looking forward to seeing if anybody had any guesses on what she is!! All in good fun and I’ll share her test results here once I receive them!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,974 Posts
She’s very pretty just very narrow!
I’ve wondered if she has a little Arabian in her, she has a pretty arch to her neck, but I only see that arch when she’s feeling sassy.
I see it in her other proportions, too. Just her general shape. I'd be shocked if she didn't have at least 1/4 to 1/2 of it in there!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My guess = Quarter Horse x Arab x Appy

I haven't used Etalon--does anyone here have an example of their breed results? I have used Texas A&M and that one was pretty cool. They don't include appaloosa, mustang, or paint in their results, though: "...some North American breeds are not on the list, – example: Appaloosa, American Paint horse, because registries are open or partially open and allow crossbreeding. Mustangs are also not on the breed list as it is now primarily a feral horse found in the western United States and managed by Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Originally mustangs were Spanish horses or their descendants, however throughout the years they had influence from many different horse breeds. There are several mustang registries, but overall there is just too much complexity to consider them in breed ancestry analysis"

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
National Show Horse (Saddlebred x Arabian) was a first thought for me, but the combination of short back + neck isn't saying that to me... Something else is in the mix too.
A friend of mine bred a NSH x Mountain Pleasure (similar to a Rocky Mountain), and your horse looks for similar to the result of that crossing. This was him as a 2 year old, but through maturity, he thickened up - he turned into a dang nice horse too!:
Horse Sky Cloud Fence Tree

The pinto definitely came from somewhere though - I could also see QH x Arab, or just a melting pot of lots of things!

Reactions: Jannhenry

·
Registered
578 Posts
If she's part arab my guess is only a small part cause she doesn't have the high tail set or araby head at all. Maybe saddlebred. Probably a QH/paint with a bit of something else.

Just for fun I added some pix for reference to compare with your mare--

Saddlebred--
Horse Liver Sorrel Tree Terrestrial animal

Arabian--
Horse Liver Mammal Sorrel Sky

Quarter--
Horse Working animal Liver Horse tack Horse supplies

Paint--
Horse Ecoregion Liver Sorrel Natural landscape

·
Registered
5 Posts
National Show Horse (Saddlebred x Arabian) was a first thought for me, but the combination of short back + neck isn't saying that to me... Something else is in the mix too.
A friend of mine bred a NSH x Mountain Pleasure (similar to a Rocky Mountain), and your horse looks for similar to the result of that crossing. This was him as a 2 year old, but through maturity, he thickened up - he turned into a dang nice horse too!:
View attachment 1135413

The pinto definitely came from somewhere though - I could also see QH x Arab, or just a melting pot of lots of things!
Totally agree with the thought of a national showhorse.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought an 8 year old mare off a feedlot in June. She was underweight and her feet were in very bad shape and I’ve taken extreme pleasure in feeding her and getting her back into shape.
She 15.2 hands, narrow in the hips and shoulder with an overall delicate build.

She came with no history or breed lineage so I sent DNA samples to Etalon in the hopes of having a least an idea of her breed!

Her test results will be back some time next week and I was looking forward to seeing if anybody had any guesses on what she is!! All in good fun and I’ll share her test results here once I receive them!!
I will guess quarter/saddlebred with a dash of arab. And wow she is a beauty and I'm not a paint horse fan !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts