The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new horse that I just picked up and I think I may have finally found a keeper. Any guesses on the breed? And yes he is standing slightly downhill, but the poor guy's back really is that swayed.

We were told maybe QH, but I am seeing something with a very up right neck such as a morgan, I think he is too stocky to be a saddlebred cross. He moves really well, and has that super flexion ankle that you sometimes see in Arabs as well.

He is super laid back and really well broke and trained.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Id almost say
TWH/QH
or maybe a
TWH/Belgian

·
Registered
879 Posts
Maybe some Welsh D in there. It's hard with that back, poor lad.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, but he vet checked out to be sound and safe to ride so you won't see that when I have a saddle on him!

He moves really well, not at all flat kneed like most QHs. Whatever he is he sure is a sweetie!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think he has some QH in there and maybe some type of Welsh..
Hes a cutie... but poor thing is like the poster child for conformation faults. At least your vet says hes sound and hes sweet :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that first picture makes it look a lot worse than it really is. He is standing downhill slightly. The more I think about it, the more a welsh cross of some kind makes sense, he moves like one, and has that cute welsh face I see a lot.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The more I look at pictures of welsh cobs the more I can see the resemblance. A lot of the older welsh's seem to be suffering from varying degrees of a sway back, I wonder if that's common in welsh's?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
without knowing his parentage there is no way of knowing what he really is; for all you know he really IS all QH...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We weren't given any real answer. The last owner said maybe some QH, maybe some morgan, maybe something else. The main thing is that he is a very sweet laid back fellow with a lot of good training on him. I was just curious what others might think he has in him.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looks like an older version of a quarter horse morgan cross I knew. Beautiful mover. Probably one of the most athletic, agile horses I've ever met.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, he certainly has something pony like in him, with his face and cute ears. The amount of substance he has reminds me most of the welsh cob.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts