The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my boy Harley. He was rescued as a yearling from a killpen in Colorado and he was all tagged and ready to go to a Mexico slaughterhouse. I bought him almost 2 years ago at the age of 6 from the woman who rescued him. He was sold to me as a Quarter Horse but she admits that she thinks he is a crossbred. He is branded on his left shoulder but I have not yet been successful in tracking it. He is about 16hh and has is a flaxen red dun with chrome and dun factor up the WAZOO. He has a dorsal from poll to tail, shoulder shadowing, leg barring, ear tips, and even has stripes on his forehead. He has a smooth easy to sit trot but has nice extension and a powerful canter. He is an awesome english horse. He also has a mysterious white dot on his loin and a couple dots within his blaze. His leg markings are splashy and his muzzle marks intricate. He dapples out a LOT as well. He also has white sclera and striped hooves.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Looks QH to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
my first thought was QH and that was before reading the other comments or seeing it in your first post

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I think he could be a solid Appaloosa. His coat color looks very Appy-ish to me, especially how he appears pangare. I had a sorrel POA mare that looked *very* similar color-wise. Her winter coat was lighter around her muzzle, eyes, and on her legs just like your gelding. If she was dun too their coats would have probably been identical.
Here's a few pictures to compare to .. couldn't find any in her winter coat which is when she really looks a lot like him, but these at least give you an idea

Next to your average sorrel/chestnut to show the difference

Her light shade and pangare (and also her silvery mane) is caused by her Appy genetics :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would guess QH or paint. His markings on his lips and his hoofs being striped make me lean more towards paint. I had a paint pony and she had the same markings on the lips as him also the spots in her blaze same as him. And she also had striped hoofs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
He's a cutey face!!! I dont know why, but something about him looks drafty to me. maybe 3/4 QH or paint and 1/4 draft (Belgin) or maybe even half and half but that's just my opinion. Whatever he is he is super cute!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think he could be a solid Appaloosa. His coat color looks very Appy-ish to me, especially how he appears pangare. I had a sorrel POA mare that looked *very* similar color-wise. Her winter coat was lighter around her muzzle, eyes, and on her legs just like your gelding. If she was dun too their coats would have probably been identical.
Here's a few pictures to compare to .. couldn't find any in her winter coat which is when she really looks a lot like him, but these at least give you an idea

Next to your average sorrel/chestnut to show the difference

Her light shade and pangare (and also her silvery mane) is caused by her Appy genetics :)

She is gorgeous!

·
Registered
4 Posts
He is gorgeous! My guess is there is some Appy in there somewhere given the sclera and hooves. Also is the skin mottled up around the genitalia? That is usually a good indicator, too.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
To me he looks just QH. White scleras are most well known in Appys, but aren't secluded to just them. I know a mustang that has them, and she's not been crossbred for many generations back.
Here's a Quarter Horse I had. I just went through her pedigree to check, there's no sign of Appaloosa in her pedigree anywhere, and the only other breed you'll find in her pedigree is Thoroughbred (mostly from Three Bars back around the 1950-60's). Yet she has a white sclera. If I'm not mistaken though, the sclera came from the first horses that came to America... But I could be wrong on that.
This mare also has some of the other things your guy has, if you look at her face marking

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Also, that white spot in your photos looks awfully close to where some saddles would be on him. It's possible it's from a poorly fitting saddle if it's close enough

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.