The Horse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I thought it might be fun to show a few of the horses I’ve ridden and have some people guess what breed / cross breed they might be. I’ve made my own guesses on most of these horses already but I figured I’d get some second opinions on what other people might think.

(Official answer is posted in the comments near the end of this discussion)

Horse #1 (Smokey black , 16.2 hh)
Horse Eye Liver Working animal Terrestrial animal

Head Horse Eye Liver Working animal

Horse Halter Horse tack Working animal Horse supplies

2.) Horse #2 (sunbleached black, 15.3hh)

Horse Sky Working animal Tent Cloud

Horse Eye Working animal Halter Horse tack

Horse Working animal Liver Horse tack Horse supplies

Horse #3 (sunbleached black) 16.1hh)
Horse Working animal Horse tack Horse supplies Liver

Horse Working animal Liver Horse supplies Horse tack

Horse #4 (standard bay, height n/a)
Horse Working animal Horse tack Cloud Horse supplies

Horse Bit Working animal Liver Saddle

·
Registered
578 Posts
OK. I'm not real good at this stuff but here's what first came to mind--

!. QH or part QH

2. TB cross maybe TB/QH

3. I want to say TWH

4. QH/Pony

Am I even close??! LOL :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am I even close??! LOL :D
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for making your guesses! You are close on a few of these, I’ll announce what breeds their owners told me they are (and what breeds I believe they could be) later on once I get some more guesses from people :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the interesting post, and the pictures of the beauties! I can only assume that they are such breeds, hopefully at least one option will be

1. American Quarter Horse
2. American Standardbred
3. Thoroughbred
4. Missouri Fox Trotter

·
Registered
9 Posts
May I ask what region you're located in? Where I am on the northeast coast, the main options at school barns are QH, paint, Thoroughbred, Warmblood, or full on grade lol. Down south there are a lot more common breeds.
That said, I'll guess:
1: QH cross?
2: QH or appendix?
3: Standardbred
4: Morgan x? Pony x?
I could see 1 being some southern gaited breed I don't know much about. The head doesn't look QH to me.

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
I have no idea on 1, but I don’t think quarter horse. Whatever he is I find him pretty.

I think two is the quarter horse.

Three appears to be some sort of draft cross. Maybe a thoroughbred cross on the top side, but I’ve no idea what draft I think.

Four I also have no idea. My youngest said maybe it has some curly in it.

Reactions: Noel1210

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
“May I ask what region you're located in?”

Hi there! Sure, I’m located in the Midwest.

“I could see 1 being some southern gaited breed I don't know much about. The head doesn't look QH to me.”

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks that about him. He certainly has some unique qualities that stray him from being full Quarter Horse in my opinion as well. 😁

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
So you don't know the breeds and are guessing? Or he's a QH and you don't agree?
With the trend to diversify breeds to perform well at multiple disciplines there are several that no longer fit the original profile depending on the intended direction the horse is bred for. You can find just about every type among QH.

·
Registered
295 Posts
They all look like Quarter Horses to me. QH's come in so many shapes and sizes that it's hard to say a horse "doesn't look like a QH". They could be non-colored Apps or Paints too.

People think my Appaloosa looks like a draft cross. Nope. His sire is a registered Appaloosa (halter champion) and his dam is a registered QH (western pleasure bred). I personally know his sire, dam, and his dam's sire and dam, so I'm positive on his lineage.

I also had a 16.3 QH who people swore was some sort of warmblood. Nope. 100% AQHA.

And I had a 16.2 QH who people swore was a TB. Nope. 100% AQHA.

And I had a 15.2 QH who looked like a "typical" QH. Nope, he was an appendix.

So, I say QH, Paint, App, or some mixture of those for these horses. Maybe some TB in there in a couple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So you don't know the breeds and are guessing? Or he's a QH and you don't agree?
With the trend to diversify breeds to perform well at multiple disciplines there are several that no longer fit the original profile depending on the intended direction the horse is bred for. You can find just about every type among QH.
Technically speaking, I know what breeds the owners of these horses and my trainers claim they could be, but it’s hard to know for sure. Like you said, Quarter horses are generally in most breeds because they’re so common. So most of the horses on this list are assumed to be partial quarter horse. I made this post because I was curious to see what other breeds people might think make up these horses, I think it’s fun to see what kinds of breeds people might come up with.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
👍
I was curious. Thanks for answering.

Quarter horses are not in Warmblood breeding. Warmbloods are European in origin. Here a warmblood (note the lower case) is a draft crossed on a saddle type horse. Draft x QH is a popular cross. There are a couple of QH lines that have draft blood from way back and those were line bred to keep the size and bone in those lines.. There is no registry/breeding programs like in Europe. There are registries for crosses of different types though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys I thought it might be fun to show a few of the horses I’ve ridden and have some people guess what breed / cross breed they might be. I’ve made my own guesses on most of these horses already but I figured I’d get some second opinions on what other people might think.

Horse #1 (Smokey black , 16.2 hh)
View attachment 1135489
View attachment 1135490
View attachment 1135491
2.) Horse #2 (sunbleached black, 15.3hh)

View attachment 1135508
View attachment 1135509
View attachment 1135510
Horse #3 (sunbleached black) 16.1hh)
View attachment 1135513
View attachment 1135514
Horse #4 (standard bay, height n/a)
View attachment 1135518
View attachment 1135517
👍
I was curious. Thanks for answering.

Quarter horses are not in Warmblood breeding. Warmbloods are European in origin. Here a warmblood (note the lower case) is a draft crossed on a saddle type horse. Draft x QH is a popular cross. There are a couple of QH lines that have draft blood from way back and those were line bred to keep the size and bone in those lines.. There is no registry/breeding programs like in Europe. There are registries for crosses of different types though.
Yeah no worries I appreciate the question. Also the information about warmbloods is interesting too, thank you for letting me know!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys here are the official answers for these horses breeds. Thanks to everyone for making your guesses. If any new viewers want to keep guessing, you’re welcome to do so, just disregard this comment then 👌

Horse #1: Solid Paint Bred x AQHA
Horse #2: assumed to be: AQHA x APHA
Horse #3: Solid Paint Bred (she’s actually the dam of horse #1)
Horse #4: assumed to be: AQHA cross

·
Registered
12 Posts
And I had a 16.2 QH who people swore was a TB. Nope. 100% AQHA.
Me, too... Our boy is WP and Halter bred, but was 'show lean' when we got him. As soon as we got his nutrition to where it needed to be, he started to develop his nice round apple-shaped butt.

Here are my guesses:
1: Morgan cross
2: Appendix
3: QH
4: Pony... Still QHy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts