The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wanted to learn one, which would you choose?

I'm going to start taking lessons. It's a goal on my bucket list to learn and master at least one instrument. But you see, I'm really torn.

I love guitar. I love rock music. But I also adore some of the covers people have done on the piano. With my typing skills, I'm pretty sure I'd be good at it.

I've taught myself a few things on the guitar - the intro to Sweet Home Alabama, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Good Riddance... All acoustic though, I don't have an electric guitar yet.

I can take a guitar with me anywhere, but a decent keyboard would be a pain to take with.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I might be a bit biased...I play piano and I love it. I love rock music too, but I haven't found any covers that I like to play on the piano. So if you want to do rock I would go for guitar. I tried to teach myself guitar at one stage but I didn't really have time for both. To be honest, I don't think being able to type fast has much to do with how well you can play piano.

I don't think you can really go wrong here, as either are really good. With both piano and guitar you can sound half decent after not long of playing.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Youtube has some awesome covers, Bek! It's just wading through the 'mehs' to find the "O____O!!!"

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I've always wanted to learn to play piano. I even bought myself an old Casio keyboard and some lesson dvds/books, but I just can't seem to grasp it. I'll learn a song, or a scale or something but I guess I'm just not musically-inclined enough to just play. I might take some lessons one day!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah not sure typing's gonna help you with piano :?. I took piano lessons for quite a while when I was younger, but I'd love to learn guitar as well. If you've already been able to teach yourself a few things on guitar, why not stick with that for now? You have the rest of your life to pursue whatever other instruments you want. Besides, it's always nice to be able to take your music with you.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I've been attempting to learn to play guitar for several years. Still not to good :lol:
I like something I can carry around. A piano is way to heavy to take camping
I play accoustic and have no desire to play electric though.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
We had learn how to play the guitar in school and it's quit easy. I'm not good at it but I know the basic chords and it's fun. :)
So my choice would be guitar. :D
I like accoustic guitars though. They sound so much nicer.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Piano. I started learning years ago and have considered going back into it again a few times. With a piano there thousands of things you can do from fun songs, pop type songs to movie soundtracks to well known songs to making up your own music.
You could do the same thing with a guitar, but I find the sound of a piano is so much more soothing and find you can have a lot more fun with it.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You can buy 10 top of the line guitars for what a cheap piano costs. It's impotant to have whatever instrument you want to learn.

·
Registered
81 Posts
start with piano if you have long fingers. you could easily grasp they keyboard, its an advantage, then go with guitar.
Not having long fingers shouldn't deter you from playing piano though. I have long fingers..but a tiny hand so I can only just reach an octave. Although there is a few songs that have chords bigger than this it is very easy to get around.

I just wanted to add that you should try heaps of different styles. When I was younger I was all eww classical thats so nerdy, but I tried it and now I'm hooked.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL I love any music except rap - and I even like certain artists in that... So, I'm not close minded about it, and I play a lot of classical piano in the barn! LOL Its just a nice atmosphere. I just love rock.

I have short fingers but a wide hand so I guess it sort of evens out. I'm going to stop by the local music shop that gives lessons if they're open tomorrow... The thing is, is that I need to be challenged. I don't want to spend four lessons on one simple song - that'd drive me insane. I'm usually a pretty quick learner, it might just take me some time to find the right instructor.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I took piano lessons for 4-5 years I think? I play saxophone and it was supplemental learning for that and we owned a piano (other siblings were already taking piano) so there wasn't an added expense of another instrument. I've got short fingers and horribly short legs, I had quite a bit of difficulty with the pedals, ended up dropping my lessons so my lil brother who isn't short and has really long fingers could take my spot.

If you don't want to spend multiple lessons on the same piece of music, you aren't going to get very far. You can spend weeks or months on the same piece (depending on length/difficulty) before you move on. My brother has a Doctorate in music and the one piece he played at my wedding was one I loved because I'd heard it for years on end as he worked on it.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I play piano, I have since I was six years old, took lessons for many years. I love playing piano.

That being said, I would recommend, for your interests, to go with a guitar. It has the advantage over piano of being readily transportable (as Vidaloco mentioned, there's nothing like a guitar around the campfire when you are camping! Can't exactly toss a baby grand in the trailer for your trip). Guitars also give you a little more ability to branch into other instruments if you chose to go in another direction - there's a lot of stringed instruments out there you could switch to from guitar with minimal additional instruction! Piano doesn't really give you the opportunity to change to a new instrument without learning another style of play. I am able to go from piano to hammer dulcimer with only minimal modification, but I did take extra lessons.

Good luck in whatever you choose and enjoy it! Always remember to keep it fun, otherwise it becomes work and you lose your appreciation for it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not having long fingers shouldn't deter you from playing piano though. I have long fingers..but a tiny hand so I can only just reach an octave. Although there is a few songs that have chords bigger than this it is very easy to get around.

I just wanted to add that you should try heaps of different styles. When I was younger I was all eww classical thats so nerdy, but I tried it and now I'm hooked.
Agreed. I don't have tiny hands, but my left hand can only comfortably reach and octave and my right has to stretch to reach an octave. Makes playing some of the more difficult songs a pain sometimes, but you can always improvise.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've played piano ever since I could reach the bench (under 2 years old) and I guess I have a natural affinity for it. I can see the patterns on it and I play by ear to almost any song I hear on the radio or wherever.

That said, I tried to learn guitar and my hands just aren't big/strong enough for it. I can easily reach an octave on piano but just don't have big enough hands to reach around the neck of the guitar and hold down the chords. My fingers are also really slender so it's probably harder for me because of that as well.

PS there are plenty of rock songs that sound AMAZING with piano added in. I play along to rock songs all the time and have been in several bands that said it sounds way better with piano/keyboard.

Plus, if you want to play in a band, you'll have much better luck finding someone who needs a keyboardist vs. a guitarist, since there are way more guitarists already out there.

My 2cents. I'm a bit biased though. :p

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been thinking I could alternate weekly lessons LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.