The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is not that much of an issue up here. Minor one, just not taken as strongly as the Americans seem to do.

Do you REALLY need a gun for protection?

Doesn't that say that at least in the US that everyone thinks the next person is out to murder them?

Canada had an "old west" period of time just as the US did but it seems the US never really left that in the past and packing a gun ( or at least having one in the home) seems to be a must have.

Is this why the US is perceived to be more violent as a whole ?

I wanted to move to the US at one time but in hindsight I am glad I didn't with all the violent ( esp relating to shootings) stories that come out on the news.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Trust me, the violence here is overrated. There are MANY countries much more violent, some in Europe that would surprise you. The difference is our media reporting. Our media thrives on the violence as a way of attracting attention to themselves. We make celebrities of the violent schmucks. Every violent situation becomes big news.

Canada doesn't seem to sink to the same media blitze levels. Too bad they can't block out transmissions.

I have lots of firearms....I AM a firearms instructor for the police dept. I don't see it as simply protection (I rarely carry off-duty) but more as recreation.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I think that the bad in the country give the rest of us a negative name....sort of like most things in the equine industry. People in the States thrive on violence--they find comfort in watching it, glad it's not happening to them. In my entire life, I've never seen anything like what's expressed on the news. My dad has a concealed carry license, and I plan to get one when I'm an adult. Some people just like that extra security.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You are welcome to move next door to me, I will put a big sign in my yard with an big arrow pointing at your house, under the arrow I'll write,
"My neighbor doesnt believe in owning guns, there fore I promise not to use my guns defending her."

As long as bad people have guns, good people should have the means to defend themselves. Police dont protect anyone, they only arrive and investigate after the fact.
Hitler created modern gun control and registration schemes. Get all the guns registered to make the sheep safe, of course that made it easy just to go round up everyone.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Lol everyone around here is super ******* about gun control.. The gubment will NOT take our firearms!!

Personally, I am not confident enough to take guns with me anywhere. My step dad is a police officer, and always had his gun with him. I don't think that in a sticky situation I'd be able to pull out a gun and murk on someone.

But I think people should have to right to choose to have one, just like the right to abort, etc. Personally, I don't think there should be a seatbelt law, either for someone over 18, but that's just me.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Do I think anyone is out to murder me? Nope

However, I'm certainly not about to wander outside and beg Mr Rattlesnake to not bite me. Nor am I crazy enough to get close enough to use an axe or similar weapon on him.

I value my safety as well as the safety of my animals and children. Therefore Mr Rattlesnake gets the shotgun treatment if hubby isn't home to deal with him for me. Told Hubby I want a .22 as I don't like firing the shotgun so close to the house, we're debating if a pellet gun or a .22 would be more suitable. Either choice, our children will be learning how to use it as the more education they have on how guns work and proper gun safety, the better.

Worst gun accident I ever saw was a Armored Car driver. He got bored while waiting for his partner to collect the $$$ from me (I was a bookkeeper for a grocery store chain and prepared the bank deposits), took out his gun, was playing with it and managed to shoot it. Armored Cars are bullet-proof.... not only do bullets not go in, they don't come out either. Ricocheted around the vehicle, went through his arm and then his hand. He lost the complete use of his hand AND his job that day. Guns aren't toys and the sooner my kids learn that, the better.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
:lol: You know I was just discussing this in another place recently, what a coincidence...

I used to feel strange visiting the US from the UK, looking at your armed police, it was very odd to be sitting eating in a restaurant with people with real live guns strapped to them sitting at the next table. It was also scary to think that many other people would be carrying, and I just couldn't see nay need for guns.

Now I'm a proud Canadian and I own, or rather the family owns many guns, and I shoot, at certain times of the year I don't leave the house without a long gun in my hand. I live out in the prairies in the place a bit further away than the middle of nowhere, and we have all sorts of critters around here, while I'm happy to live and let live, if they threaten me or mine I will shoot.

Are any of my guns useful to me as protection against other people. I don't know and I pray that I never have to find out, because I never have and never will shoot to would anything, if I'm going to shoot it will be to kill.

I know for a fact that the amount of guns that are kept in say a 20 mile square around here will be scary, there wont be many people in that area but there will be 100's of guns, if you take away urban populations it is reckoned that rural Canada is actually very very high on the guns per head ratio.

I tell what is very different here though, I don't think that I have ever see a street sign that is riddled full of bullet holes, it seems that we use our guns for the purpose intended, not to randomly take pot shots at things.

Reactions: Eliz

·
Registered
48,980 Posts
I think a sociological comparison of Canada and the US would be fascinating; so close and yet not. I think that Spyder has a point in that the US has a fundamentally more violent society and some of the "Wild West" mentality still survives. It cannot be because our land required that kind of self reliance, because Canada is even more wild and natural and demanding on the human for survival.

I might like to think that it has something very fundamental to do with how we starteed out our "countryhood"; after 10 years of bitter fighting against our own "mother". I think that since the people of that time were NOT united in the idea of breaking from England, it was necessary for those that wished to revolt to use a lot of strong, emotional propoganda to bring the sentiments of those on the fence over to committing to independence. Thus things like, "Dont' Tread on Me", and "Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" .

There's a certain fierceness that we worship and respect, even now, and I don't see that in Canada (except for hockey games). Unfortunenately, that fierceness can also be expressed in almost a love for violence, war , the battle, the underdog. I know that when 9/11 happended, I was so angry that I would have gone to war! I said, "Now they've woken a sleeping giant and they'll be sorry they did!" and I was into it. Now, I am so tired of the whole middle East mess. It's a no win situation.

I have never in my life had any unlawful violence perpetrated on me. I dont' carry a gun, but we own several, tucked away with no ammo. I dunno why. Just kind of cool, I guess. And target shooting is fun.

It saddens me when we are perceived as violent as the number one adjective that comes to foreigner's mind when they think of "Americans".

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Surprising enough there are wild animals that are creeping into the cities. Many are killing small dogs and a baby left in the back yard could be in danger.

Outside of certain areas were it seems multi racial seems to be the area norm you won't see piles of guns or gun violence. We handle our "critters" very well.

That is what the police force is supposed to do, that is their job. Outside of pictures I have seen of guns on various forums it just isn't something that is the norm, to see, handle or come into contact with personally.

This is the way the US comes across to me as far as guns are concerned.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I'm curious how people with mental issues (and by that I mean they are under doctor supervision, not someone going PMS :wink: ) manage to get guns REGISTERED on their name. Isn't there a rule you have to provide the proof you are stable and all? I may be wrong, just from what I read while back.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
KV - That varies from state to state. In ND there is no waiting period to get a gun. As long as you have IDs you can buy one and take it home with you that day. Major, major hunting state here. We, personally, own more guns than there are people in the house. And that is including our children.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
You are welcome to move next door to me, I will put a big sign in my yard with an big arrow pointing at your house, under the arrow I'll write,
"My neighbor doesnt believe in owning guns, there fore I promise not to use my guns defending her."
Wow, just wow.

As long as bad people have guns, good people should have the means to defend themselves. Police dont protect anyone, they only arrive and investigate after the fact.
As a fifteen year veteran cop, I find this comment almost too offensive to risk commenting on. I have spent too many hours breaking up violent fights, separating violent domestic violence combatants, tackling drug dealers, for ANYONE to tell me we don't protect anyone. I got between a man stabbing another at great risk to myself. Even so, the victim had two stab wounds. He lived, but without my intervention he would have been DRT (dead right there).

Hitler created modern gun control and registration schemes. Get all the guns registered to make the sheep safe, of course that made it easy just to go round up everyone. Gun control worked well for the Jews.
I like owning many weapons, but I have all of mine registered. You can rant all you want but there are a LOT of people I don't want to see owning guns.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I very proudly own guns. I will allways own guns. When i turn 21 i will have a concealed license.

The as long as there are people there will be weapons. And there will be criminals. I pray i never have to use a gun on a person, but when it comes down to me, a female, being home alone and someone breaks in I want to be able to have a chance at protecting myself.

In most cases a gun will scare an intruder away. If not the sight, then tbe soumd of a warning shot. If he is still persiztant, then disabling him with a shot to the leg is next best.

Now if i didnt have a gun in that situation what would happen? Woild i be robbed? Raped? Murdered?

I'd rather not find out.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There are bad people here just like there are everywhere. We have gangs that come in all shapes, sizes and colors. That's about it, as far as what your visual reminds me of, Spyder. To say that's how America looks to you in general is pretty dilusional, I don't see that at all. Yes, I am a citizen and I do own a gun, but not owning one is not going to make this world a better place. Maybe if we all had the same idea at the same time and actually followed through on it. But how realistic is that?

I don't know a single person, other than the police, that carries a gun around on a daily basis for protection. Our country is not THAT dangerous. As far as protecting my children in MY home if some psycho randomly chooses my house to rob, or me or my children to rape, you better believe I'm proud to own that gun.

Not owning a gun just because the world SHOULDN'T be as violent as it IS, really doesn't do you a whole lot of good. That's crazy Obama talk right there.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
I own 7 guns. They are used for hunting, skeet shooting, getting rid of groundhogs & coyotes. My favorite gun activity is shooting clays off of my horse with my 20 gauge Benelli semi-auto (ear plugs for both of us of course)

Don't have any plans to ever aim or fire at another person but if it was to protect my life or that of my family, I'd not hesitate.

I have no problem with private citizens owning guns but I also have no problem with stricter gun control. Simply because I don't think everyone should own one.

Reactions: TamarackLane

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
KV - That varies from state to state. In ND there is no waiting period to get a gun. As long as you have IDs you can buy one and take it home with you that day. Major, major hunting state here. We, personally, own more guns than there are people in the house. And that is including our children.
Oh, I see. I was told you have to apply for license and all, but the person who said so probably just meant MD. I never applied/bought, so don't know the whole procedure.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I owned police pepper spray when I was living in NYC. Does it count as "gun" or at least "weapon"? :lol:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If guns were illegal then only the criminals would have them.

It wasn't but a couple months ago that a neighbor's home was broken into and the wife was at home. Thankfully they were a good gun toting family and she was able to meet them at gun point. They ran and the cops caught them after that. But what would have happened if she didn't have her gun?

A lot of people carry around here but you don't even know it because its conceal carry. Its not like folks are walking around the streets waving their guns around in everyone's face. Likely hood is you will never need to use it to defend yourself, but I would much rather have one and not need it then not have one and need it.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.