The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am new to the forum and I will taking on a new job of taking care of a ranch. My employer would like me to have a truck gun rack installed and is asking me to find one to put either overhead or rear window. Is anyone here have one installed in their pick up truck? I would like to know which one from the overhead gun rack or the rear window gun rack would be better? I am leaning over the rear window gun rack. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
To paraphrase Sterling Archer, "Do you want a broken window? Because that's how you get a broken window." In today's environment, I would not put a gun rack in a place where it can be seen from the outside. There are a number of good systems to mount a rifle behind the seat.

·
Premium Member
13,103 Posts
I used to carry one behind my seat. Never tried one overhead. Wouldn't want one on the rear window.

·
Banned
904 Posts
I’m a hunter and I keep one under the seat or behind the seat. I agree it’s best to keep the gun out of sight because there are plenty of ill minded people out there

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
4 Posts
More information would help. What kind of firearm do you anticipate getting/using? This should be determined by your anticipated need/use, expected range, etc. Under/behind seat is best. Is it going to be a farm use only truck, or one that will make regular trips to town? Do you need to have immediate access, or just keep it handy just in case?

Consider using one of the electric locks that are usually used in police cruisers. They are activated by a remote/hidden switch, or have a key for backup. They are usually available used on ebay for a good price. They are designed to use modern sporting rifles or shotguns, but would probably work with a lever action or bolt action as well with a little extra padding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts