The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Get off your butt and get a carry permit then carry 24/7. That's what I do and I'm glad for it. I also carry it on me not on my horse. If I get seperated from my horse I may need my gun. I also wouldn't go anywhere that I couldn't carry a firearm. I believe that carry in national parks is now allowed so I don't think there are many places you can take a horse that you can't take a gun but it's better to check than get thrown in jail.

Reactions: Smilla13

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Wow! Your horse charged at a bear? I'm pretty sure mine would have unseated me and headed for the hills! :lol:
It's not the four legged predators that worry me, but the two legged. I ride alone a lot and in very remote areas. I've run across a few guys that gave me the willies. Fortunately not problems, but I do have a side arm that I can bring along on such rides. I keep it strapped to me, won't do me any good if I get separated from my horse and it's on the saddle.

Get the permit.
You're right about the wild animals. I have never seen a wild animal that scared me but a few times I have seen people either on the trail or at the trailhead that I kept an eye on. Since I have gotten my permit I don't even go to the store unarmed. I live in a nice safe town but bad things happen even in nice safe towns. I couldn't live with myself if I left my pistol at home and couldn't prevent injury to my wife and kids.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You Americans and your guns! Up here in Canada...we just beat the crap outta people the old fashioned way...bahahahah

I saw a quote that said that gun control advocates believe that the woman that gets raped and murdered in an alley is morally superior to a woman that defends herself with a handgun.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I'd like to take the idiot that came up with that behind the woodshed and show them a little "moral superiority"!:evil:

It was a pro gun person that was making a point about the anti-gun crowd.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
The law goes into effect Feb. 20.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Painted Horse please dont ever bring up slitting a horses throat to kill it again. I am only so tough until a animals gets hurt or killed.
That's the facts of horse ownership. Sometimes bad things happen and it's alot easier to think and plan ahead of time rather than wait untill something happens.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If we were to meet a cougar on the trail I would hop off my horse let him run and I would bolt up a tree(yes I can climb like a monkey).

You realize that a cougar can climb like monkey as well.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Someone who is experienced with robbing and has a better shot than you do. They could also easily shoot you from a distance with you not even realizing they were around. If everyone had a gun, everyone would be dangerous. It would be similar to the situation with nuclear weapons, everyone would be tense and waiting for a trigger to be pulled so they could kill someone without thinking.

That's not what happens in reality. When some lazy scumball realizes that you are not a push over he moves on to other prey. I don't think everyone should have a gun. Only the people that can be comfortable and skilled in the use of a gun should have one. There is evil in the world and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. I don't just carry on the trail I carry when I go to the store or to pick my kids up from school or to go with my wife to the mall. You never know when you will need it. I stay alert and pay attention to the things around me and try to stay out of bad situations but if a situation develops that needs me to take action then I want to be prepared mentally and physically. I don't want to get in a fist fight with some AIDS infected druggie and I certainly can't ask him to wait ten minutes for the cops to show up. If you want to depend on the morals of other people to keep you safe then go ahead but don't try to take away my right to depend on myself to stay safe. The cops are not going to keep you safe they will just catch the guy(maybe) that commits a crime against you. I would not shoot someone to defend personal property outside my home and I would probably give up my wallet if I thought it would end the situation but if I have an incling that physical harm is going to befall my loved ones or myself I will not hesitate to use whatever force is necessary to prevent it.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
A hearty rant indeed, but I was discussing the issue of everyone having a gun. I believe that those who are truly qualified to carry one should be allowed to do so, but not everyone. Let's list the things you assumed with no factual evidence, shall we?
-"You never know when you will need it. " Yes, I do actually. I am fully aware of situations where a gun may be necessary and when it isn't.

Are you a super hero? You must at least be physcic if you know were a crime will be commited. The fact is you don't know when you might need to defend yourself. Anybody with one good eye and one good hand can be qualified to use a firearm. Since it is a right granted by our constitution nobody should have to be qualified. Being an american should be qualification enough.

-"If you want to depend on the morals of other people to keep you safe then go ahead" Nowhere in my statement did I say I would depend on other's morals to keep me safe. I would certainly not depend on another person's morals, I would depend on myself.

You may depend on yourself but have you given yourself the tools to save your own life? How big of a man would it take to overpower you? If you can't effectively defend yourself then you are depending on other people to not attack you.

Perhaps I am nit picking, but I find it disconcerting to see a gun carrier picking up on things that are not true and clouding them with their own opinions.

I have not said anything that is untrue. Most of what I said was my opinion and the rest of it was fact. If you are scared of guns or think they cause crime then fine don't be around them. I have mine and if the situation ever presented I would use it to the best of my ability to defend you. I truely hope that it I never point a firearm at another human being.
Sorry about veering off topic. I am done with the arguement but I needed to clarify a few things.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Because you might have absolutely NO desire to carry/purchase a gun or even think about shooting something? You couldn't pay me to carry a gun.

It's okay that you feel like that because your government thinks of you as a criminal that only lacks a gun to be dangerous. When your government banned handguns for the average subject (they don't think of you as a citizen) the crime rate jumped. Why? Because criminals were the only ones that didn't turn thier guns in. Why? Because they are Criminals. Every type of violent crime is already illegal and they still happen, so how can passing a law against using a certain method be expected to help?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.