The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I recently acquired a horse to be used as a trail-safe hubby horse this past November. This horse is an odd creature (an Arabian x Spotted Draft horse cross) and had been purchased out of an Amishman's pasture prior to being bought as a project animal by a local trainer. Although this horse wouldn't be my ideal, he seems to have meshed well with my husband.

My question is this: When I work this horse in the roundpen, he makes this odd sort of "gut sound" when doing anything beyond a walk. It's quite loud but he doesn't seem to be off or unsound. I simply wrote it off as possibly having something to do with his peculiar breeding.

I had a horsey friend over the other day and I proceeded to ask her what her thoughts were on the subject. She made a comment that I hadn't heard before (granted, I've only ever owned mares). She said that it probably had to do with him getting air up into his sheath. What causes this and is it the possible reason for that sound?

I assume that this poor fella has probably never had his sheath cleaned and I realize that that will be necessary as part of gelding ownership. Any recommendations and advice from you knowledgeable horse folk? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Perfectly normal, some horses do it much more than others, some don't do it at all. Giving him a good cleaning is a great idea if it hasn't been done in ages. Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.