The Horse Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
"Cricket" 2016 AQHA sorrel mare- barrel prospect and "Sky" 2018 AQHA buckskin mare
523 Posts
I think if you have to decrease calorie to feed a supplement then you’re fighting yourself. (My issue with these expensive supplements)
Making the supplement work harder by decreasing the calories it is said to optimize digestion for is kind of pointless tbh.
He does look better but he likely would look even better with more calories and something like gastroelm( $40 and lasts a couple months) instead of cutting needed calories and an expensive supplement.

I fed triple crown senior to my thoroughbred gelding and was incredibly happy with his overall weight gain/condition on it.

· Administrator
37,242 Posts

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have added alfalfa pellets and I think it's made a huge difference. I've not noticed gut issues, his only symptom is being a hard keeper. I've tried flax and rice bran and wasn't impressed but with the way he's gaining I think once I switch to TC complete or senior (seriously impressed by the ingredients) he'll hold weight ok. I can't find any TC gold near me or I'd try to get that.

Reactions: knightrider

· Registered
3,423 Posts
TC senior is good did wonders for my old guy that an alfalfa cubes soaked. Rice bran an flax did nothing for putting weight on my old guy. Did soaked beet pulp for about a year then he wouldn't eat it anymore. I tried it again after not feeding it for about 6 months still wouldn't eat.

Gut X helped my horse looks really good. Went through 2 gallons just finished second gallon. Don't plan on buying more. First gallon I saw some degree of difference, second gallon did the trick.

He's on pasture so not feeding much hard feed only 1-1/2 cups a day of alfalfa pellets to get his supplements into him

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That's a good thing it helped. I think it did too but I think the alfalfa is where it's at. Did it help his ulcer symptoms? (If he had any)

· Registered
3,423 Posts
He was cinchy still is, he did stop cribbing though so that's good. The cinchy part I was hoping gut X would make a difference. He's still very ugly about being cinched up. Reaching under him for cinch have to watch him or he'll get you. I've done the knock the tar out of him. Works but I would rather not be doing that,not that I won't if it's needed.

I give him a bucket of soaked cubes before I do cinch up, or reach under him for it. Keeps him busy an no being ugly no ear pinning no trying to bite. Just a better way to deal with him.

Here he is took picture today in the barn flies have come out there really bad.
Horse Working animal Mane Pack animal Sky

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
He looks good. I have a mare that is ulcer and pain clear but is a little cinchy. I've checked everything. I'm thinking it's a habit from when she had an ill fitting saddle. But the cribbing is a big deal, glad he quit that

· Registered
1 Posts
He looks great to me! What I'd give for my guy to look that good!

Here are the 30 day comparisons. I'm seeing improvement, though slow. What do y'all think? He has no muscle pretty much but he's also just been sitting. I plan on having the kids ride him lightly to build that up once I feel he's got the proper weight back on. I don't like seeing ribs on this one though I have pretty much as long as I've had him.

View attachment 1129616

View attachment 1129615
What was his diet during these 30 days? How much of the GutX were you giving him? He looks amazing!

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I've got to get pictures of the old man as he looks almost like a normal horse now. He's got next to no topline but is well enough for the kids (my brothers) to throw a bareback pad on and ride a little to start building some muscle. They are 10 and 12 and can ride him around the property (mostly walking, though he's got the spirit of a 4yo) and start to fill him out more as he's done nothing but eat for months. But he's really packing on the pounds with the TC complete. I've been feeding it to the mare too and she's about to get cut back as she's about to start getting a little heavier than I'd like. It's been cheaper than feeding anything else since he's eating way less and still maintaining condition.

the complete is a little bit of a spicy feed though, I've noticed the both of them are much more energetic.

He probably needs his teeth done though, it's been a year and a half. He doesn't have any issues as his teeth have always been maintained and he's always struggled with weight despite it, so that's not a factor.

I'm gonna give the GutX a good rating as I think it helped, it just wasn't cost-efficient. I'd definitely go for it again if someone comes down with ulcers as I feel it might have helped his gut heal from losing all that weight earlier in the year.

I'll get pictures of him after I give him a bath, which I can't do till it stops pouring rain every day for hours.

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm tempted to start him on another round now that he's on proper nutrition. If it made a difference when he was on that not so great feed, it should make a massive difference when he's on the triple crown. That and someone local to me is selling unopened containers of it for discount because they switched their horse to something different. He looks a million times better but I feel like it could definitely help him fill out and regain a top line.

I probably need to find a way to supplement their pasture with hay. While the pasture isn't bad, it's not knee high either. They are getting alfalfa hay pellets which makes a big difference but until I get a hay spear I can't put up my years worth of hay. I will be filling hay nets from round bales since the mild inconvenience is worth it for the price difference. I can't pay $11 a bail for 50 lbs of hay when I can pay 70 to 80 for an 1100 lb round roll of quality hay that I will be keeping in a barn. The mare seems fine on her pasture but the old man could probably stand a little extra forage.

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I got 4 unopened bottles of it for 300 bucks...retail that would be 500. I sold some tack so it didn't hurt so bad buying that much at once. Started both of them on it since it was so cheap and the mare is kind of girthy. No idea why as she's been cleared for pain but can't hurt. Old man has seemed to drop a bit (maybe the Gut X was the key? Idk) and we're battling the dang scratches on his feet again. Missed treating them for one day and he's got bloody sores on his heels again. Wide open, big as a silver dollar sores. Hnnngggg. If the grass wasn't so wet we wouldn't be having this issue. Everyone I know is having a hard time with scratches at the moment.

Gotta love Florida.

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Been back on the GutX for a couple weeks now. I think it helps for sure.
Horse Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

Hood Window Fawn Tent Vehicle

Sky Cloud Horse Tire Wheel

Still not much topline but I did ride him very gently today. And he did fine. In fact, he wanted to do everything I asked. Practically hauled me to the trailer and sat there pawing before I loaded him and screamed at me when I went to the barn for his tack. He didn't want to leave posse training (just walk/trot formation work this time) and I got nothing but complements on what a good horse he is. He was leery of everything because he hasn't been out of the house but other than that, perfect. I forgot how smooth of a ride he is. He's really a nice, nice horse. Worth his weight in gold.

He may be a little thin sometimes and he may be old as dirt but he's got a huge heart and is really worth his weight in gold. I'm gonna need therapy when he finally kicks the bucket, but by the looks of it, that won't be anytime soon. He can pick and choose if he wants to work or not. He's earned the right to make the rules. But as of now he gets real mad if he gets left out, so I guess he's going to have to start coming along.

· Registered
1 Posts
I decided to test run Gut X for a 29 year old gelding. Needed some weight but hoping to use as a preventative. I purchased Gut X after all the rave reviews. Unfortunately, it just didn't work like I thought. My horse had a flare up and now I'm treating with Omeprazole. I feel like I'm at ends wit, trying so many products.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts