The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not aiming for advice here but i just need to get it out there and maybe see other's opinions. But mainly to get it off my chest. Alright so prom will be coming up in a couple months for me. Oh what fun trying to find someone to go with. I've only ever had one boyfriend...it was two weeks i was too clingy i get it i've learned. Truth be told there aren't many guys around here that i like. I go to a pretty big school 626 in graduating class. So anyway i have not had one single guy interested in me. I'm not exactly super skinny or super pretty but i'm decent. I mean i am pretty short so i'm not going to be a twig. I have to fit all those organs somewhere!
I'm rather smart (top 7% of my class and have a 4.15 gpa with 3 AP classes to show for it : ]). Perhaps that is one of my problems. I'm not willing to dumb myself down at all and i want a guy who's smart as well. maybe that's my issue i am too picky. I am by no means that type of girl who NEEDS a boyfriend. In fact i don't think i'd want a serious relationship at all (even later in life) but honestly i am sick of feeling like the "thrid wheel" with my friends. I want a guy who is ncie,fairly good looking,smart, and interested in horses to some extent..or impressed by the fact i show drafts. I just don't think there is anyone around here that's like that. So i suppose i'll end up just taking a guy as a friend...well assuming that one of my two-three options agrees to that. I just don't know anymore. What am i doing wrong? Thanks for letting me vent and kudos to those who got through this. :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I know what you're saying about being picky. I feel like I'm kind of that way too. I can't even say what I would want in a guy anymore because I can come up with things I think I want in a guy, find a guy like that, and not be interested. As oppossed to my friends who are constantly finding guys they are interested in. In the amount of time it's taken my friend to go through about 5 guys, I've been interested in one. So I guess I'm pretty picky. But atleast when you find someone you know you really like him.

Do you know everyone in your class? I always feel that, with classes that big, there's no way you could know everyone. But what do I know? There were only a little over 100 people in my high school class.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Going with a friend is always a good option.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey, you could just go with other single girls, or maybe a guy friend. Prom is meant to be fun, not stressful! And if you do find a guy and you're worried about awkwardness (I have been before, so I'm just throwing this out here) go with a group of friends! It's a perfect, fun solution to having those awkward silences or not knowing what to say.

Good luck, and keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly I don’t think I’d ever go with a group of girls because I feel as if everyone views that as “well you weren’t good enough to get a date” I am by no means saying it is bad if you do more power to you and I agree it should be fun. But I kind of also want to have a date. I may just take a guy friend Idk. The guy I really wanted to ask (and I really like him) is going out with this psycho girl who I know I’m way better than but because she puts out he went for her. I just don’t want to be waiting around for a guy cause I’m not like that. I just hate how there are all these standards and stuff. But I defiantly want a date to take because for my entrance I plan to drive our family friend’s team of Percherons, and if he doesn’t have the one under harness yet then perhaps his team of Haflingers. Either way I want to be the one driving them in, since I learned how to this year. Plus it’d be unique because no one here has ever done that to my knowledge nor do many, if any, at my school know how to drive a horse let alone a team and I kind of just want to impress some people : P

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
In high school I was the same way. I never felt good enough.. I was not super skinny or super pretty, I wasn't as smart as you are, but I did really well in school. I graduated 11th in my class. I had one boyfriend who was from another school but I broke up with him shortly after because I just wasn't ready for a boyfriend at the time. I thought that was the biggest mistake because I felt like I was never going to find another guy again. I ended up going with a guy who was my good friend both my Junior and Senior year and I actually ended up having a lot of fun. My friends were mostly single as well so we just hung out and danced together and he was off with other girls (he was a big player hah).

I know it seems like a huge deal right now, but in the long run and in the grand scheme of things, it's really not. I'm glad I went because it gave me a chance to get all dressed up all fancy and get my hair done and all of that fun pampering stuff that I never do otherwise. Don't worry about what people will say if you end up going with a group of girls. A bunch of my friends did that and I ended up hanging out with them anyway because the boy wasn't worth my time :). He was a real jerk actually. But if people do say that you aren't good enough for a boy (which I am sure the people that matter wont because that isn't true) so what! They'll forget about it by the next week anyway.

Just keep your chin up :). Things will work out and if you go out there to have fun, you will! Don't worry about the boys. They get better after high school :). I found myself an awesome, awesome guy my first week of college and over 3 years later we are still together. It will be okay!! *hugs*

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Just go with a friend! Finding a boy to go with, and being with that boy at prom is just going to add a ton of stress to the night and possibly hinder you from having as much as you would. Bring someone you're comfortable around and just focus on having a great night!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I certainly agree with being comfy. Truth be told... i wouldn't mind ditching a guy for my friends...as horrible as that does sound but then again when i think about the guys at my school it is not like they don't deserve it. I kinda just want someone to impress with my entrance and ya know just look good overall. I mean there is still plenty of time right? I don't want to ask too early but i don't want to ask at the last min. either out of courtesy for them... I hope i am doing the right thing by not waiting for that other kid, he's cute and nice but i am not that kind of person. I've just kinda got self confidence last year and i really don't want to ruin it by waiting around for a guy. Like i said i don't want a long lasting relationship...that is unless he was a complete and total dork but cute and innocent then i'd consider it. I hope that isn't weird for a person... i am just quite frankly sick of being the third wheel i have gone 95% of my life boyless and its nice i will admit. I'm busy with my studies and i don't need the distraction espeically getting ready for show season with riding and also the potential clingyness...i mean i am trying to get into harvard here. It would just be nice to be asked i guess. I'm holdingout a bit of hope but thanks guys for making me feel more optimistic about it. At least there are many options! : D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
prom with a guy sucks. I was only a sophomore when a senior asked me to the prom. It totally sucked and we left at 10 to hit up another party cause prom was way too boring. I wouldn't recomend going wiht a guy unless you've been dating for awhile...but thats just me.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
How about you get a bunch of friends to go and stuff I mean I am sure you have a guy friend who could go with you right? You don't have to have a boyfriend to goto Prom.
I was friends with the guy I went with. If i had the boyfriend I have now then i would have gone to it with him but thats ok because I didn't :) so yea its not a huge deal and I know how you feel guys these days are so incredibly picky about girls they date.

·
Registered
36 Posts
first of all off topic: can anybody tell me what prom is? is it some kind of dance-event organized by school? (here in germany we don't have anything like that). ;)
hm. difficult for me to say what i would do if if i were you.
i think i would ask any guy who hasn't found somebody to go with. how rusticwildfire said, you can hang around with him for a little time and then go to your friends and have fun with them.
i wouldn't put me into stress and try to find a boyfriend as soon as possible. who knows what you get then :D
for me it's a good quality to be picky. i dont like this girls who behave like slots and change their boyfriends after 2 weeks or so.
i havent already found THE right one for me (if thats possible)...but i dont worry cause i'm still young and have enough possibilities to find somebody.

i hope i dindn't write only rubbish. correct me if i did :D ohh..in german i could write so much about the topic with guys but in english its very difficult for me to express my thoughts. -.-

·
Registered
779 Posts
first of all off topic: can anybody tell me what prom is? is it some kind of dance-event organized by school? (here in germany we don't have anything like that). ;)
Exactly. Prom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Draftgirl17, most high school boys do not want brains. They want Barbie. You're not missing anything. ;-) Do you know anyone from outside your school that you could invite?

Don't forget that it costs a lot of money to go out on the prom date. So, boys may not be asking girls this year b/c they don't have money. They may or may not show up stag at the dance. My niece in NC went with a bunch of her girlfriends last year. They had a blast. The whole "couples" thing at high school age is kind of obsolete now, anyway. The prom dates back to when people could get a decent career going with just a high school education. It was important b/c it was a rite of passage to adult life. Not so anymore. Many HS couples will break up because they are too young and have no vocation and will relocate for more schooling. So if you have no boyfriend at your age, it's not big deal. So what. Where's it going to go, anyway?

You do not need a man's company nor his permission to do anything. Why should you miss out on the prom experience due to not having a date? Why give some high school boy that power over you? If you really want to go, dress to the nines and go. Hit the gym or the free weights to get in shape. You can do a lot in 2 months. Get your attire, get all dolled up, and knock 'em dead. Walk in "large and in charge," as they say. Look elegant and be noticed.

·
Super Moderator
22,659 Posts
I'm not aiming for advice here but i just need to get it out there and maybe see other's opinions. But mainly to get it off my chest. Alright so prom will be coming up in a couple months for me. Oh what fun trying to find someone to go with. I've only ever had one boyfriend...it was two weeks i was too clingy i get it i've learned. Truth be told there aren't many guys around here that i like. I go to a pretty big school 626 in graduating class. So anyway i have not had one single guy interested in me. I'm not exactly super skinny or super pretty but i'm decent. I mean i am pretty short so i'm not going to be a twig. I have to fit all those organs somewhere!
I'm rather smart (top 7% of my class and have a 4.15 gpa with 3 AP classes to show for it : ]). Perhaps that is one of my problems. I'm not willing to dumb myself down at all and i want a guy who's smart as well. maybe that's my issue i am too picky. I am by no means that type of girl who NEEDS a boyfriend. In fact i don't think i'd want a serious relationship at all (even later in life) but honestly i am sick of feeling like the "thrid wheel" with my friends. I want a guy who is ncie,fairly good looking,smart, and interested in horses to some extent..or impressed by the fact i show drafts. I just don't think there is anyone around here that's like that. So i suppose i'll end up just taking a guy as a friend...well assuming that one of my two-three options agrees to that. I just don't know anymore. What am i doing wrong? Thanks for letting me vent and kudos to those who got through this. :)
Pick up some guy and go with his like just as a friend :). I think our prom is a little different here than you in USA, but my prom partner was just one of the guys in my grade. I lately ended up to ask him out but he refused and it was fine :). Some of the girls who didn't manage to have a parter in a same grade ended up to ask and go with guys outside of the grade or even whole the school.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Im picky like you. Havent been in a serious relationship. they way I think is that we should be aloud to be picky, Im not date someone for the heck of it. If I know its not goona go anywhere than whats the point of it right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts