The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been using my back on track saddle pads for years now, first started with a horse I leased and I REALLY did see and feel a difference with her from using it. So its all I've EVER used on my horse I own now. I always see super cute pads though and want them but then I'm like but my BOT paddddd wahhh he likes it what if it really does something for him!

LOL I'm just crazy most likely. The BOT pad just doesn't fit amazingly well under my aussie saddle :( What are your favorite pads and why? Am I crazy thinking that if I switch away from using my BOT pad my horse will get ****ed? hahahaha

Has to be like a dressage pad/square AP pad so it goes down below the flaps of saddle. I was going to buy the western BOT pad since its longer in the spine but then I'm worried since it doesnt go as far down the saddle flaps could irritate him? I'm just an overly worried mom arent I?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Part of the reason I held off on buying a thinline pad and am hesitant of other pads... I didn't want to turn into one of those folks that HAS to ride in a particular pad and CAN'T ride without it!

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Here is what I used with my Aussie-style saddle, and it never caused any irritation:

Standard western cheapie blanket:

32 x 36 New Zealand wool blanket:

I never used a pad that covered the entire flap. But then, I'm gauche. Not Mia - she is long-suffering with a fool for a rider, but she isn't gauche. She just has a rider with no taste:

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Ogilvy Profile pads comes in various sizes, including extra large pads, and they're my favourite. They look really nice, are very soft and durable (mine look brand new even after 2+ years of use), and they're easy to fit in the washing machine.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part of the reason I held off on buying a thinline pad and am hesitant of other pads... I didn't want to turn into one of those folks that HAS to ride in a particular pad and CAN'T ride without it!
hahaha come to the dark sideeee! I'm dying that I can't use my thinline pad with my aussie, it just isn't long enough so I worry about it creating a pressure point towards the back where the pad ends before the saddle :(

Thanks bsms! I've seen some of your other posts and I would think Mia would possibly be more sensitive then Dexter, so if she doesn't mind the flap being below the pad then maybe he wont either...mwahhaha so I can get the BOT western pad..hehehehe

I'll check out the Ogilvy Profile pads thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm pretty interested in the Ogilvy pads (how the heck do you pronounce that?!) Some people comment on how thick they are? How thick would you say it is? My saddle is a pretty good fit so I don't need something bulky. Also looking at the ecogolds and BOT Western pads

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
I was told that an Aussie saddle should fit like an English saddle, meaning that the pad is just there to keep the underside of the saddle from getting dirty. That being said, for the longest time, I have just used a saddle pad I made myself under my Aussie. Then my best friend gave me a lovely suede compression pad with thin wool liner that is shaped. It fits under my Aussie saddle perfectly. I have no idea what brand it is. I think BA said that it was supposedly a shaped endurance pad or something like that, but that she always used it under her English saddle.

Here's a pic of it. Not great, but gives you an idea.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
evil- I feel your pain... all the pads/ blankets that are really cute or flashy aren't really that great of quality and all the goods ones for riding are plain black or grey or something not very exciting.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told that an Aussie saddle should fit like an English saddle, meaning that the pad is just there to keep the underside of the saddle from getting dirty. That being said, for the longest time, I have just used a saddle pad I made myself under my Aussie. Then my best friend gave me a lovely suede compression pad with thin wool liner that is shaped. It fits under my Aussie saddle perfectly. I have no idea what brand it is. I think BA said that it was supposedly a shaped endurance pad or something like that, but that she always used it under her English saddle.

Here's a pic of it. Not great, but gives you an idea.

Posted via Mobile Device

oo thats not bad looking. Yeah, I know that about the fit too, his saddle does seem to fit pretty perfect so I want to make sure I don't get something thats too bulky. I mainly want something thats good for moisture wicking, that my girth can fit through the girth strap thingy (no idea what to call it lol), thats a bit longer down the spine and then something wtih a little extra shock absorbing I think could be nice?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
evil- I feel your pain... all the pads/ blankets that are really cute or flashy aren't really that great of quality and all the goods ones for riding are plain black or grey or something not very exciting.
Right? Wah, I just want something cute thats good quality. I got my BOT pad custom Embroidery which makes it a lot cuter but I just don't love how it fits with my aussie saddle. Fit great with my dressage saddle but I sold it and not sure when I'm getting a new one!

Just feel like it needs like 2 more inches in length lol

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
oo thats not bad looking. Yeah, I know that about the fit too, his saddle does seem to fit pretty perfect so I want to make sure I don't get something thats too bulky. I mainly want something thats good for moisture wicking, that my girth can fit through the girth strap thingy (no idea what to call it lol), thats a bit longer down the spine and then something wtih a little extra shock absorbing I think could be nice?
The wool liner is great for wicking moisture.

I hear what you mean about wanting your girth to fit through the girth keepers. Unfortunately my Aussie is rigged western (which I hate), so I have a whole different set of issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
The wool liner is great for wicking moisture.

I hear what you mean about wanting your girth to fit through the girth keepers. Unfortunately my Aussie is rigged western (which I hate), so I have a whole different set of issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
The Australian saddle I have for my boyfriend is western rigged, and I HATE it! It originally had the typical aussie rigging, but the previous owner witnessed an accident in which an English saddle slipped due to a loose girth. He decided that all non-western rigged saddles were unsafe, so got it redone by a local saddle repair guy. I have NO idea how he decided that this was safer than what was there before! The d ring is way the heck up under the flap, and I have not once been able to get the cinch even passably tight! I felt as though I was practically climbing up under the saddle whenever I tried.

Finally went and bought a western-English converted for the darn thing, and that is good enough! My boyfriend isn't very confident around horses, and the last thing I want is that saddle slipping on him!

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
The Australian saddle I have for my boyfriend is western rigged, and I HATE it! It originally had the typical aussie rigging, but the previous owner witnessed an accident in which an English saddle slipped due to a loose girth. He decided that all non-western rigged saddles were unsafe, so got it redone by a local saddle repair guy. I have NO idea how he decided that this was safer than what was there before! The d ring is way the heck up under the flap, and I have not once been able to get the cinch even passably tight! I felt as though I was practically climbing up under the saddle whenever I tried.

Finally went and bought a western-English converted for the darn thing, and that is good enough! My boyfriend isn't very confident around horses, and the last thing I want is that saddle slipping on him!
I hate that I (used to) end up with a big old knot of leather under my left leg where I'd tie the latigo. Now that Aires has grown so much, it isn't as much of an issue, but I still hate it. I'm planning on switching it back to regular Aussie rigging once my boyfriend has a job and we have a little more "play" money.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I hate that I (used to) end up with a big old knot of leather under my left leg where I'd tie the latigo. Now that Aires has grown so much, it isn't as much of an issue, but I still hate it. I'm planning on switching it back to regular Aussie rigging once my boyfriend has a job and we have a little more "play" money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Until then I'd HIGHLY suggest getting a set of girth converters and an English girth if you can afford to do so! I can guarantee that it'll make a world of difference!

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Until then I'd HIGHLY suggest getting a set of girth converters and an English girth if you can afford to do so! I can guarantee that it'll make a world of difference!
He's outgrown our western girth anyway. I have a nice leather English girth that should fit perfectly, so all I need are the converters. Hmmmmm...to the tack sites!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man I'm glad I'm not having those issues with my girth! I am sad though, I have a thinline dressage girth that I lovelovelove, but now I can't use it :( I tried getting a double billet over girth but the billets are too thick to fit in girth! So sad. I'm sure I'll get a new dressage saddle over the summer but man that girth is the best :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I'm kinda between a few pads:

https://ogilvyequestrian.com/index.php/store/dressages_products_details/20
funfunfun with colors and has a built in half pad. I contacted the company to find out exactly how thick the pad is and its not too thick to use

English Dressage Skirt Horse Contoured 100% Wool Felt Saddle Pad by 5 Star Equine Products | Winters Distributing
5star....everyone seems to love them.

Easyrider Saddle Pad with Bags
Thought this aussie pad was pretty darn cool, and its way cheaper lol....but not sure how good it actually is

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
That 5 star dressage pad that you posted looks more like an ap pad to me with the forward material in the front. As long as the drop is long enough it would probably work just fine, but it might look a little off. Don't worry- I regularly use ap pads with my dressage saddle :wink:

Have you thought about buying a wool pad specifically shaped for an Australian saddle? I love my diamond wool pad for the few days that I ride western- it compresses where it needs to, is shock absorbing, wicks moisture, and looks nice. A google search came up with these:
Aussie Saddle Pads - Saddle-Up Ranch
Same site also sells the aussie pad that you posted. I much prefer wool felt to any sort of fleece pads, but that's a personal preference. I think that if you're worried about shock absorbing abilities then a wool pad would help.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I figured it would look a little goofy, the measurements are ok on it though. the 5 star is kinda plain looking but the look of it is growing on me.

I have thought about ones shaped specifically! Just didn't do much searching on it yet because none of the name brand guys seem to make them.

I looked at diamond wool pads and they looked nice and were priced great, but the sizings wouldn't work :( The western sizes wouldnt be long enough in the flap, which I'm unsure if that would bother him or not? Then the english pads werent long enough in the spine. My BOT pad is 22" long, ideally I think I want something 24-26" long.

On the page you linked, the Wool Felt Schooling Saddle Pad, it has the cutout on the spine, is that good/bad? I'm liking that one, the shaped pad and then the one with pockets. Just wonder how much I'd use the pockets...I don't normally carry abything on me but my phone and knife when I remember and both of those I like to keep on myself.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Man I'm glad I'm not having those issues with my girth! I am sad though, I have a thinline dressage girth that I lovelovelove, but now I can't use it :( I tried getting a double billet over girth but the billets are too thick to fit in girth! So sad. I'm sure I'll get a new dressage saddle over the summer but man that girth is the best :(
Posted via Mobile Device
Why not have your local saddle shop trim the billet width to fit your girth? There can't be that much difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.