Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I was around for a few months last year and really enjoyed this site. I have a thread here http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/ms-riding-lesson-journal-270921/ on my riding lessons, trying to keep track of how I was coming along.

I had a really bad accident in October. Which I talk about in detail on that thread. Long story short..my lesson horse spooked at a construction noise and I was in the hospital for a week.

I broke my: forearm, radial joint (elbow), and four bones in my shoulder, and my t9 and t10 vertebrae. I had surgery on my shoulder and had a plate and pins put in it since everything was in the wrong place. I also wore a back brace for almost three months.

I'm in three different therapy sessions now, all for different things. From about December to now there were/are also some stressful and bad things going on with my family and friends, divorace, death, heart attacks, strokes, and I lost my heart bunny, Clover in December. (Which I'm still not over!)

Right after the accident I was just so grateful to be alive and have my little family. Now after so much, I feel like I was kicked while I was down and I haven't felt the same since. I don't have much motivation and with so many exercises to do at home that's not good. :( I would love any words of encouragement or stories you have that maybe everything will be okay again!

<3 thank you for listening

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am so sorry life has knocked you down and rubbed your face in the mud. : (

(I also know what good friends bunnies can be!)

One year I blew the engine in my favorite car, got pregnant, got fired, suffered the loss of both my Grandfathers, and was traumatized by the death of my first horse.

I concluded that the next year HAD to be better. And it was. :)

Please know that I am wishing you strength and good luck for the rest of the year. (It is the year of the horse in the Chinese calendar, you know!)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Marcie , so sorry for the loss of your darling bunny and for your horrible accident. Dealing with one is often overwhelming, but both at the same time.....well you know how that feels.

Not sure if I have any words of wisdom on how to stay motivated when one feels so beaten down. All I can offer is what I do and have done when life has dealt me challenges.

I try/tried to see where I wanted to be and kept that vision in my minds eye. Every step taken I would envision was taking me closer to that goal. when I battled broken bones in my back (stupid riding accident), I saw what I could do as a major step and then took small steps to reach further. Cancer battle, took each day and did what I could, while not beating myself up for those days that didn't allow for much. I could see which days I was on top of the chemo and which days it would score on me.

Small steps Marcie. And don't beat yourself up on the days that you just don't have much in you. Don't let those days be the norm, but realize you will have them. I know it sounds so cliche, but one step at a time. Don't let yourself become overwhelmed but all the therapy you have to do, but look at it as taking you closer to where you want and need to be.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: Marcie

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Piglet, I'm glad things finally started getting better for you! Since this happened at the end of the year I said the same thing. Unfortunately my grandma suffered another stroke last week and is not recovering very well. :s So there went that idea! And thank you, Yes Year of the Horse. that has to be some kind of sign!

Walkamile, I usually do the same thing. I have to have a goal in mind or I start having issues. (I've been on anti-anxiety meds on and off for a long time.) Every goal I had was gone. I'm slowly starting to figure something new out. But I feel like it's just a band-aid. I'm sorry to hear you have had broken back bones. I would not wish that on anyone! It really affects everything. Every day is a work out for me, just walking and living. I don't know how you managed to deal with that and cancer. You are very strong!

I am guilty of getting down on myself when I don't have the time or energy for more than the bare bones of my exercises. You are right about that. Some times I just hurt to much to do them and then I get upset that I should do them anyways.

I actually had a really good day at therapy yesterday! since realizing that my back shoulder blade isn't working I've been trying to use it more and it actually made a difference. I have to really concentrate on using it and not my shoulder but it really really made me feel good that the PT's could tell a difference. Hope is such a wonderful thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.