The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pinatubo came in for the morning feeding with a small cut on her face. After she finished eating, I went to put her halter on to doctor the cut.

I always toss the lead line over the neck to give me some control as I put the halter on. This morning, I missed, and it went to the withers instead.

When I went to move it into a proper position, she tried to spin and stomp at me. If I retreated, she would have gotten her butt in position to kick. So I threw myself onto her withers, wrapping one arm around her neck and the other hand onto her nose.

She spun and struck. But I was able to support myself on her withers and keep my feet and legs out of harms way.

We were about three quarters of the way around the stall when I got my fingers clamped down on her nasal passages. That And a gruff “ho!” convinced her to stop fighting.

As soon as she stopped, I released the nasal passages and got the rope in position near the poll then the halter on.

I put her in the cross ties and doctored the cut. Then I picked out her feet. She was a bit iffy on the rear ones, so I used the rope again. No sense for two fights in the same morning.

92952197-8BD8-427A-BC23-712FCA1C8EB2_1588748800229.jpg

I’m more and more appreciative that these horses are so small. And this particular horse will likely never be safe for inexperienced people to be around.

I

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
1. I’m really glad you weren’t hurt:cheers:

1.1. That took some fast two-stepping and quick thinking on your part. Aren’t you glad to know you still got it:bowwdown::bowwdown:

Quite the contraption you had laying in wait, lollollol.

2. What a bad girl you are, Pinatubo. You’re such a pretty girl too.

Maybe she is short on good manners because she’s coming in heat?

Or maybe the incident may have triggered a bad memory?

Maybe she’s just a witch? lollollol.

Regardless of the reason, it’s no excuse for such radical behavior, on her part.

3. She is very pretty and looks great, since your brought her home:)

4. But — I wouldn’t trust her around a novice horse person either:(

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m glad I wasn’t hurt either.

I’ll file it under “I ain’t as good as I once was. But I’m as good once as I ever was.” I’m stiff and sore tonight.

Not so much quick thinking as prior planning. I’ve worked with horses like this before. One thing I learned was that the closer you are to them, the harder it is for them to hurt you. I’ll latch on to them like a tick.

She earned her name the first time we met. I went to stand by her shoulder to get her height, and she tried to stomp me.

She’s about 12 years old, and I figure she has learned that if she’s aggressive right away, folks will leave her alone.

Not happening around here.

I do like her looks. Her coat has smoothed out and gained some sheen since we’ve had her.

I think she will get a long ride through the hills tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I am also glad you handled the situation well without getting hurt this where all the horse experience you have shone through, most important for her to know she can't misbehave with you as this has probably been her way of handling people all her life.
You did well, very confident and smart especially using the rope on her legs, this will show her that you are definitely in charge, without being too rough on her.

In time with careful positive management she will come round to your way of thinking, she really doesn't have a choice and you will develope a good working relationship and do well together, she might even be happier with a good set of proper guidelines on how to behave with C.C.:clap:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The long ride didn’t happen this morning. The goodewyfe had a project that needed done. So that was the priority.

Before that, I haltered her up, put her in the cross ties, doctored her face, and picked her feet without drama.

She did give me the stink eye. But that seems to be her normal attitude.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The little Witch!!!
Yep. That about sums her up.

Having said that, she does pretty good under saddle for me and any rider who knows how to handle it when she challenges you.

She bucked off one of our inexperienced helpers. I think the poor guy had all of his cowboy dreams shattered.

For me, she has hauled firewood with panniers, drug logs dallied to the saddle horn, opened and closed gates, and handled busy streets.

The previous owner used a low port, shanked curb bit, and like most folks hereabouts, pulled her around by the mouth. I put a solid snaffle on her. She turns tight circles with outside reign and inside leg. Somehow she already knew that.

Smart horse, but I will never be able to relax around her.

28D3A2BA-EFDA-48D8-A2C6-30BDED2C056A_1588821792309.jpg

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL! Glad you weren't hurt. Another example of why I don't name horses, Spirit, Blessing, Pinatubo, Lightning, things like that. I've found they tend to either live up to the name or give you the opposite (Blessing became Curse Bur).
Lol! That reminds me of a Western Horseman cartoon I saw back when the original True Grit movie came out.

Two old cowboys were leaving a movie theater. One says to the other, “I’d like to see John Wayne put ol’ Rocket’s reins between his teeth.”

1 - 14 of 14 Posts