The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had an appointment to go look at a 7 year old Appy gelding this morning. We drove two hours one way to get there at 10 am, and she acknowledges that shed be with us in a moment, that she was showing these people another horse.

As I am getting out of the car, there are 3 dogs walking around. The huge malnourished Mastiff walked up behind me and bit me on the leg. He then went over to my husband and bit his leg as well. He didn't break the skin, but we both have bruises. This was completely unprovoked. We were not even looking at or touching the dog when he bit us.

We saw the horse we came to see in the pasture and stood at the fence looking at him. He had a club foot and his feet looked like they hadn't been trimmed in 12 weeks. He had a halter on and walked up to us at the fence, so I was able to look at his teeth. He was at LEAST 9 or 10 years old.

40 minutes later she walks over to us and asks if we're ready to meet him. My husband told her we actually needed to leave because he had to get to work. She says, "Well why didn't you tell me you had a time limit?" He says, "We did. That's why we made an appointment for 40 minutes ago. And by the way, your dog bit both of us." She replies, "Did he break the skin? He probably just wanted treats." Not even an apology for being late or her dog biting us.

What a waste of my day.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Next time I would throroughly check out the person/place the horse is at. See if they have websites, or anyone that can give you a review of their experience.

Did you see photos of the horse before hand? You sure can tell a lot from photos (background, etc.). Just do your homework and you'll be a lot better off :p

Sorry you had to deal with this!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next time I would throroughly check out the person/place the horse is at. See if they have websites, or anyone that can give you a review of their experience.

Did you see photos of the horse before hand? You sure can tell a lot from photos (background, etc.). Just do your homework and you'll be a lot better off :p

Sorry you had to deal with this!
This was a private seller or so the ad led me to believe. They didn't have a website. He looked great in the photos. :?

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Did you really only set aside 40 minutes that close to going to work to look at a sale horse?

Do I think the owner handled things correctly? No. But I have a hard time imagining someone would only allow 40 minutes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you really only set aside 40 minutes that close to going to work to look at a sale horse?

Do I think the owner handled things correctly? No. But I have a hard time imagining someone would only allow 40 minutes.

We set aside two hours to look at the horse. But after walking on the property, both of us getting bitten by an unattended 100 pound dog, being ignored for 40 minutes, and seeing that the horse was in fact at least 2 or 3 years older than we were told, and that he had a club foot, we decided to leave.

·
Registered
394 Posts
We set aside two hours to look at the horse. But after walking on the property, both of us getting bitten by an unattended 100 pound dog, being ignored for 40 minutes, and seeing that the horse was in fact at least 2 or 3 years older than we were told, and that he had a club foot, we decided to leave.
Well I don't think you were being ignored...she had another person on property who also was looking at a potential buy. Yes perhaps tht all could have been organised better, but to say she was ignoring you isn't fair IMO. Also a horse w a club foot, w proper farrier work, can be easily managed.
She should have been up front re age, but 3yrs isn't huge imo, not like she said it was 5 and it turned out to be 15. But she may have also been told it was a certain age when she got the horse and is now just going on tht info...a lot of ppl don't know how to age a horse by their teeth.
Just saying that other then the dog incident I wouldn't be too terribly annoyed. Guess thts just me.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
some people are so strange....

·
Registered
480 Posts
First, the poor dogs need to be cared for, but there's a hint.. if they don't care for their dogs, they won't be caring for their horses. Also, a club foot can also look much worse with lack of trimming. But had he not had his teeth done either, that is a possibility that they were judged wrong with age. I wouldn't trust this woman.. she seems more about money then about her horses or "clients". She definitely should have scheduled better times. At least gave you an opportunity to look at the horse, brush him, walk him, etc, before waiting 40 minutes.. That's absolutely BS. Waste of a 2 hour drive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That sucks! What a crazy! I know what it's like to drive 2hrs to find exactly what u didn't want. Be glad it didn't break tge skin though:then it would rabies innoculation time :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well its only wasted if you make it wasted.
Who's to say the person before you didn't arrive late? Thus pushing everything back?
Yes, horse had club foot, yes horse may have been 2yrs more then first thought.
Both those things don't make me warrant just leaving.
I drove 2hrs I wouldn't just turn around n go home, I'd at least try the horse out.
Also I would NEVER let anyone I do not know work w any of my horses I was selling w out being supervised by myslef or someone I trusted... if something happened, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on legally if they turned around to try and sue me.
Yes, this would also be the case w a bombproof horse. Or who's t say the person in question is abusive toward your horse while your not watching...too many what ifs for tht situtation.
They had 40min to look at the horse, before riding..how he reacted to their presence, how he interacted w herd mates, could have checked him over for conformation, picked up his feet etc..all these things are mportant to see when looking at horses too imo.
Just think the OP is overreacting imo.
Would I have been a bit annoyed, maybe, but again wouldn't have just left without taking the time to try the horse out, yes the 2hr drive was wasted...but in the end it was them tht wasted the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Just think the OP is overreacting imo.
I think the word dramatic fits better than over reacting. But in general, I have to agree.

Maybe it was not the right horse for you.

In the big picture, it would make more sense to be more honest with the seller if nothing else.

"I am sorry to say that with what we have seen so far of Dobbin leads us to believe he is not the right horse for us after all. You did not mention on the phone that Dobbin has a club foot. His teeth show he seems to be older than you mentioned also."

I would not get my panties bunched over a few year discrepancy in reading teeth. Teeth are a guideline, they are not exact.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have to comment on the age thing...my horse whom I KNOW is 13, could be aged by several people as being 15-16 yrs old by looking at his teeth.... even my vet agree'd. You can get an estimate by looking at thier teeth, but it isnt exact! AND If i got bit by a 100 pound dog I am sure I would have made a comment to the owner as soon as it happened, not 40 minutes later. I would be fustrated too...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both my husband and myself got bit by her 100lb dog and she was no where to be seen, so we COULDN'T tell her until 40 minutes later when she finally came over to us. The horse had terrible conformation and there are plenty of horses in our price range that have excellent conformation.

And I'm being dramatic because I was irritated that her dog bit me and she didn't even apologize, and because I didn't want to bother riding a horse I knew I wouldn't buy?

Right.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think you're overreacting; I would be ****ed. However, next time ask for a video, ask for the names of other customers so you can ask for their experiences.

My first red flag should have been when I had to ask 3 times in email if he had ever had any injuries or lameness. She ignored the question and also ignored my request for a conformation photo.

Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You have all MY sympathies. I absolutely despise horse shopping. You cannot do enough "homework" to guarantee anything when it comes to horse shopping. When we were shopping for my daughter's horse, my husband told me to look at some very expensive horses and maybe that would guarantee at least some degree of better horse selling people. Not so. We also had the "forgot to mention" the club foot experience, when going to look at a $10,000 horse, and the people were so creepy. Trust me I did a lot of research before I went to look at a horse but sellers can be devious!.
I even had a supposedly very reputable dealer/ trainer try and sell me a horse that he had originally sold to a friend of mine, so I happened to know it's history of stumbling and back problems, which was why she was trying to unload it.. When I asked the dealer about it he said "oh that has been fixed". Ya, right.
So try not to get discouraged and be very wary!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts