The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my barn has a rescue mare from a neglect situation, and she lives in the same barn as cutter. her hair started falling out a few weeks ago and the vet came and checked her out and said it wasnt contagious, and that it was just alergies.

cutters hair around his star on his forhead is starting to come out, its not too much right now but when i was brushing his face and i noticed it, i was kind of pulling at it alittle to see if the hair was loose, and a smallish clump came right out.

the employees at the barn said i shouldnt worry about it unless more comes out and that its probubly rubs. what does this sound like to you?

i wish i had a picture but i dont, and my cameras not working.

his star isnt falling out, just the hair on the right and left side, and above it. the skin where the hair is gone is whiteish and flaky.

i have a EQYSS product called "micro tek". do you guys think it would be worth putting that on it?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Are you sure the she isn't just starting to shed? As for a hair stimulant, I like MTG. It works to assist in mane and tail growth as well as skin disorders. It's only problem is that is smells like a smoked pork barbecue.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Horses are just starting to shed here. I've noticed that all the horses with blazes or stars are shedding on their face before any hair on their body has begun to fall out. I'd lean towards shedding right now.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Smoked pork barbeque smells good. MTG does not smell good. To me it smells like burning tires.

OP, I would guess your horse is simply shedding. Sometimes it seems like it is coming out in big clumps.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive never seen it shed out like, to bare skin though before, and its flaky. i dunno, its posssible its just shedding, ill watch it and if hes getting more bald ill call the vet

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just got back from the barn and cutter has bald spots the size of a penny around his star. theres 3 of them. and the skin thats exposed is flaky.

are you guys sure simply shedding out can create bald spots?

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
It could definitely be a spot that's just shedding faster than the new hair can grow in. Last winter Lacey scared me really badly by getting a similar thing of her back, her hair was coming out in clumps along her spine and it was just coming out and coming out and coming out. I was very worried about it but everyone on here assured me that it was probably just her shedding getting a little ahead of itself so I waited a week or two and yknow what? It looked completely normal a week or so after I first noticed it.

I'd wait a week or so and then call the vet if you're still really worried. =)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright, thanks wallaby. i hope it is just shedding out.
i just worry about cutter, hes my main guy.

and this mare we got was 350 pounds underweight,sick and injured when she came here so i was already concerned about things spreading

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.