The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...obviously the price point is lower on the fleece because it's a less expensive material - but has anyone tried one of each material and have you noticed anything major with the performance of each? I've had both but never have used them very long so just wondering from some others who are frequent half pad users.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
One of our horses - who is pretty laid back on the whole - had a real dangerous freaky fit when we put a synthetic 'sheepskin' pad on her so I am put off ever using one again on anything

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm personally partial to real sheepskin, and that's having tried both.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sheepskin - a horse at my barn had an all out meltdown when his fleece blanket shocked him with static!! Test the sheet before you get it, if you feel static then DO NOT BUY. Think of it like sticking a mini cattle prod inside your sheet and it randomly going off at random times.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used a fleece wither riser half pad for a while when I was leasing a TBx with high withers, and it was fine to provide a little more padding around the withers and give that fleecy pad "look" but it's not at all comparable to the comfort/shock absorption of the real sheepskin half pad I have now.

ETA-
The fleece pad I used: Fleece Wither Pad - Half Pads from SmartPak Equine
The sheepskin pad I use now: ThinLine Sheepskin Comfort Half Pad - Tailored Sportsman from SmartPak Equine
Thanks! This is what I was looking for - any info on the shock absorption qualities/performance of sheepskin vs fleece.

And from the other posts sounds like it's just an all around better material!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.