The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’m waiting to enter my halter horse into a show. I’d like to keep his mane long and not cutting it since it’s taken forever to grow out. Is it allowed for a halter horse to have long hair in the ring? Thank you!
Horse Sky Working animal Liver Horse supplies

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yes it is - just make sure you have him cleaned and turned out nicely!

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
It's allowed but depending on the level of competition, it's not the norm and could count against you. I have shown a horse halter with LOTS of long hair and didn't band his mane either. I had gotten injured and they don't give refunds for class entries, so since I couldn't ride, hubby showed him halter. They also didn't have ranch horse halter classes available. We weren't going to cut and band his mane for a 'throw away' class, he wasn't fitted for regular halter either, so we just sent him in with shoulder length mane and long forelock, just made sure he was squeaky clean and pretty. Did ok, actually got Reserve Champ on 2 judges cards, that shocked us to death. We figured that if there were 10 horses in the class, we'd go 11th, since we don't do halter, LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
If it's a smaller open show, you should be fine. It's not done in traditional Quarter Horse halter classes at the larger shows (both breed shows and big open shows) because one of the attributes that you're showing off is the horse's neck. The short, tidy, banded mane is preferable for accentuating a nice neck. The log mane will cover it up and look less tidy overall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts