The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I adopted my 20 yr old arab a yr ago. She came to me with the nose hair rubbed off from a halter that was obviously to tight. I tried mtg (hate smell) tried vit e oil . Coconut oil . I need something that will regrow the hair back. She has Cushing's also. I am not there every day so it's hard to put on enough. I'm there 4 times a week. I'll try and post a pic.you can see it above the nose band.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree with AnitaAnne, I'm not sure if it can grow back at this point. My aunt's 30+ year old horses had permanent halter rub marks over their noses even though they had been pasture pets for years at that point and hadn't had a halter on for more than ten minutes a month in probably 10+ years.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
You might try a little vitamin e oil mixed with coconut oil to make a salve. It seemed to help Sarge when he came to us with old scars on him. Most faded and were gone in a year or so, but I kept a mix of those two oils out in the tack room and every time I groomed him, I slathered it on the scars. Don't know if it helped or if the hair was going to grow back on its own, but it's a cheap thing to try anyway.

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
311 Posts
So, little known secret that you can try: sesame seed oil. Yup, the food-grade kind like Dynasty works fine. Sesame seed oil contains the same proteins in it that are in skin cells, so it works to heal burns and multi-layered skin problems. Works sunburns - I mix it with sunscreen so that the sunscreen goes on easier. I haven't tried this on my horse, but I absolutely woud if it were applicable to something she had going wrong. It has a pleasant, nutty smell.

What you need to do is get the skin remoisturized and allow the cells to heal. Any oil or ointment you use should be warming (coconut oil is cooling, sesame is warming) - massage it in well (massaging the skin can stimulate cell growth), and then you can place a mild-adhesive bandaid over that area to trap in the moisture and allow the skin to absorb and metabolize whatever you used. Use water or oil to loosen the bandaid when it's time to come off - then it'll slide off instead of take hair with it. Eventually, the scab should simply pop off of that area, and new skin can grow and heal.

Corona ointment or Neosporin (meant for keeping wounds hydrated and disinfected) might help, and ... I have another, but I have to run out to my barn and see what it is. Haven't had to use it in a while, but it's guaranteed to help hair regrow...even under scabs and abrasions. I never had any reason to believe it didn't do that.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
If the follicles have died then the hair wont grow back. If there has been no growth in that long then they wont regrow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.