The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions. This morning I noticed a sore about quarter sized where halter was rubbing under our 22yo mares lower jaw. I cleaned with peroxide then applied gall salve, and halter off. Is that all that's necessary or other treatment?
Then noticed a front hoof split (maybe she stepped on a rock?). After this picture I filed it a little and put hoof dressing on it and started hoof supplement for diet.
Farrier was out a few weeks ago, due back in 2 weeks. Anything I should do for that?
She's on pasture, walks, runs fine...seems and acts ok.
Thanks! 20200722_143918.jpg 20200722_144516.jpg 20200722_144246.jpg 20200722_144027.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Do you leave a halter on at all times? I would suggest that you remove it until the wound heals.

As for the hoof. That is not a split but a large chip. The mares feet are very overgrown and it is chipping on its own trying to self trim. From this photo her toes seem very very long. I would call the farrier and ask if he can move up your appointment. You may want to change your trimming schedule to shorten it by a couple of weeks so her toes do not get so long. 6 weeks between trims in the summer is about right

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you keep a halter on 24/7 (am not a fan of) but maybe try one of the velcro ones? They have less intrusive buckles if any at all of the ones I've see... and probably not until its healed. Looks tender :<

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when cleaning wounds, is that things like Hydrogen Peroxide and Rubbing Alcohol actually inhibit healing and kill the 'good stuff' in a wound. Small wounds like this don't matter nearly as much, but if it were bigger, the healing really could be delayed by using either of these products.

Povidone Iodinie (Betadine) is a much safer cleanser for wounds, as it does not inhibit healing. Betadine is an essential in horse first-aid kits, and human as well. You can buy it pre-diluted, otherwise certain concentrations benefit from being diluted. If I remember correctly, 5% is preferred, and should not need to be diluted.

Otherwise, rather than special salves, I like using Triple Antibiotic combined with Bag Balm/similar product. Triple Antibiotic helps control infection, and Bag Balm/similar product helps control the flies from getting into it.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you leave a halter on at all times? I would suggest that you remove it until the wound heals.

As for the hoof. That is not a split but a large chip. The mares feet are very overgrown and it is chipping on its own trying to self trim. From this photo her toes seem very very long. I would call the farrier and ask if he can move up your appointment. You may want to change your trimming schedule to shorten it by a couple of weeks so her toes do not get so long. 6 weeks between trims in the summer is about right
Thanks
Yes, halter is off
Every 6 weeks is farriers schedule. I have tools and could nip and file some. Many years ago I did Dad's horses (certainly not great but ok I guess. Dad was "frugal").
I haven't checked, once healed I wonder if there is a padded halter? I bought the Velcro pads which stayed on 2 days.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I almost wonder if it wasn't a bug bite that was itchy.......or she got a sliver in there from rubbing on a board or something. It certainly could be from the halter. But unless the halter is pretty tight, I really don't think there should be anything rubbing in that area.......no hardware or anything. That's kind of interesting.

The hoof chip isn't a big deal, other than it is a sign the feet are getting long. But it's not anything bad or worrisome in itself.

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
To me it looks like a abscess beginning to blow...
When were her teeth last looked at with a extensive mouth exam?
A broken, cracked tooth, a injury could of had travel of a puss pocket and you got what you got...
I get the cleaning it, but watch it closely for discharge and use your nose for smell factor...infection has a particular, peculiar smell...
If you see discharge a call to the vet is in order and ask if a drawing salve can be used to draw the pus and poisons from the body or what is their professional recommendation to the ailment.

The hoof to me looks overgrown and it self-trimmed.
4 weeks schedule but if her feet might be to long even after a trim...add it is summer and the hoofs do grow faster might of created the opportune time for that chipped off appearance.
When the farrier arrives have them check carefully you don't have wall separation for a opening of organisms to start WLD, cause it is far easier to treat before it gets inside than treat after it has started the erosion process of eating away the hoof innards.
Anytime you have breakage you have risk...
And....the organism for WLD lives in the dirt everywhere..it just needs a opportune time and moment to get a start and oh boy... :frown_color:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a veterinarian visit is in order to be on the safe side. We gave her Ivermectin a couple weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
Ivermectin is for gut worms and neck thread worms...has nothing to do with any of this.

Yes, a vet call at the least, probably more likely a visit would be best.
See if you can send that picture of the jaw...but the "deep" look to that hole makes me think something is potentially going on and a pus channel exit was made...but what was the cause is what must be discovered.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ivermectin is for gut worms and neck thread worms...has nothing to do with any of this.

Yes, a vet call at the least, probably more likely a visit would be best.
See if you can send that picture of the jaw...but the "deep" look to that hole makes me think something is potentially going on and a pus channel exit was made...but what was the cause is what must be discovered.
I understand ivermectin, shouldn't have even mentioned.
I just now cleaned her hooves, that one I carefully nipped then filed just a little, as well as other one. There's no wall separation. Made calls farrier and vet.
The sore is exactly in center, she has several different halters, my goof was I usually change them every week or so since each one rubs a different spot.
For now antibiotic cream (Vaseline base) is on it. There's no bad smell there or in mouth.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Sore under jaw is just from halter rubbing her raw. Keep it clean and medicated it will be fine.

Hoof chip isn't a big deal get her trimmed, and that will be trimmed out.

Get some Alu-sheild spray. Clean raw spot and spray it with it. Will heal in no time.

·
Premium Member
23,921 Posts
Two questions. This morning I noticed a sore about quarter sized where halter was rubbing under our 22yo mares lower jaw. I cleaned with peroxide then applied gall salve,
Don't leave halters on horses. Unless it's for using a grazing muzzle, then it should be a safe breakaway one, and use padding - sheepskin is generally the best IME. If it's not that the halter was left on long term, then I suggest the halter doesn't fit, or there's something sharp or abrasive on that part of it, so I wouldn't use it.

Dunno what that 'gall salve' is, but it's likely fine. I would NOT advise putting peroxide or such on live tissue/open wounds, unless it's very watered down, & then rinsed off afterwards. For one, it likely stings, but more to the point, it damages healthy tissue so retards healing! I'd have just washed the wound with saline. Of course, disinfectants are sometimes necessary, but remember, heavy chems damage tissue too, so use very cautiously.
hoof dressing on it and started hoof supplement for diet.
If you'd like specific comments about hooves, best to give some more pics. Can't see any split present in that one hoof pic you posted, but hoof looks quite long & imbalanced & appears to have broken away at one quarter(common first point of 'self trimming' of hooves which are not adequately managed). **I am not saying you're negligent, but that horses generally need to be done more frequently than the 6-8 weekly norm, and that if you've read much re hoof care here, you will see that just because a farrier says/does, doesn't mean that's best for the horse, or that said farrier knows what he's on about.

Hoof 'dressing' is not at all helpful for health/strength of hooves. It is purely a cosmetic. BUT if there is any infection present, hoof dressings will create a 'cushier' environment for these bugs to thrive! So I'd save your hoof dressing for the occasional application to healthy hooves, if you want them to look prettier for an outing or such.

Good nutrition is vital for healthy hooves, just as it is for the rest of the horse. And hooves, being but one external part of the whole horse, shouldn't need to be treated differently with regard to nutrition, to the rest of the horse. So if you are already providing your horse with a well balanced diet, then you won't need extra 'hoof supplements'. If said hoof supplement provides the specific ingredients that are lacking in your specific horse's diet, then it may be the most appropriate nutritional supp to give.

·
Premium Member
23,921 Posts
Sounds like a veterinarian visit is in order to be on the safe side. We gave her Ivermectin a couple weeks ago.

Now just going thru comments... What do you feel the need for a vet for? Is it HLG's idea that the (minor looking skin deep injury) is an abscess brewing? If so, what makes you think it is? I don't understand why you, HLG would think this either, excepting that if you have had an abscess happen on your own horse, then maybe 'seeing nails' everywhere. If the horse is seeming like her face hurts, she has a headache, there is a stinky smell from the wound or her mouth, she doesn't want you touching her, she's having trouble eating, or some such, then I would indeed consider the vet & that this sore could be other than it appears on the surface. But I wouldn't jump to think it's something terrible without reason.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!
I'd rather err on side of caution as the saying goes. She's an absolute angel, well behaved, seems very happy, healthy, etc. We've had her a year, no vet yet so I'm thinking nothing wrong with a good exam, shots (if needed), etc.
Wound isn't that deep and 99% sure it's halter rub (location).
Farrier is really good, many years experience and trained younger farriers.
We'll see what he says. I'll talk to vet also.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
1. Ditto to not leave the halter on when horses are unattended:)

2. What that looks like to me is she may have had a tick bite, started rubbing it because they itch horribly, and as a result the halter rubbed her raw.

So yes, the halter did that but IMO the halter is not what caused her to rub in the first place:)

3. Also ditto the hoof has a chunk missing because it’s trying to self trim.

This time of year in the U.S. is growing season - that means hooves also grow more and faster. Add to that an oral hoof supplement that actually does what is supposed to, and you’ve really got hooves growing at warp speed.

3.1. As has already been mentioned, get the farrier out sooner than the appointment if possible. It would be best to get her trimmed every five weeks.

3.2 My foundered horse has always grown hoof fairly fast. I have him on HorseTech’s BioFlax20 and five weeks of growth (this time of year), looks like he hasn’t been trimmed for ten weeks.

I would be happier to have him on a four week schedule but my other horse wears his hooves down by himself and there’s barely anything to trim at five weeks, as it is. So we keep both horses on five weeks because the farrier lives 35 “you can’t get here from there” miles away:)

I say this ^^^^ if your other horse has slow growing hooves - you could compromise and have the farrier out at five weeks, at least during the fast growing season.

There’s also more to growth than those very long toes and big chips. The bars are also growing; if they fold over they could possibly cause hoof soreness- not always but it happens.

Heels are growing, possibly elevating the horse to where cutting them down to where they should be MAY sore up the tendons. Again not common but it can happen.

My horses needed a bunch of dead sole taken off and the frogs were starting to lift and shed. I had to do some cutting last week because the farrier wasn’t due until this week (Tuesday).

Meaning, I’d bet money the hoof in the picture and its three mates are in the same predicament, which is why it would be great if the farrier could come this week, this weekend, the first of next week.

This is also how thrush and whiteline get started :):)

4. I looked at the DuMor ingredients and they surprisingly don’t look as bad as I expected:). I won’t feed DuMor anything but the ingredients list of this product doesn’t look like it’s going to kill anyone, lollol

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
That really looks like a surface wound to me. I think you are doing alright with how you are treating. Keep an eye on it to make sure it is healing and try to remove the offending whatever that's making this happen. Yeah, I don't keep halters on my girls except for when I am messing with them.

Hooves are overgrown and self trimming. My girls were on a six week schedule over winter but Laela started growing like crazy in the spring and started self trimming so I upped it to five weeks. Now all three are on a four week schedule and it is fine for now. Come fall they will probably go back to six weeks when their hooves slow down in growth.

Honestly, if her hooves are that long after a short time. Either the farrier is leaving her toes to long or she is growing fast and you don't need hoof supplement. That is not a crack. Hooves are actually better off self trimming rather than hanging in there because then you will get separation and white line starting.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The farrier can't get here for a while so I trimmed her. Not a lot but nipped sharp edges off, filed it round and even, then smoother file side a slight bevel at edge.
Now they're even. I used a 6"x6"x18" wood block for a stand.
Her father was a dressage Holsteiner, mother registered Arabian. View attachment 1012835 View attachment 1012837 20200726_134652.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts