The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Friday, everyone! I don't know about everyone else, but these Friday night conversations were the highlight of my week before, and I was really missing hearing what everyone was up to.

So, how is everyone? Anything exciting going on this weekend? Carving pumpkins? Doing some fall cleaning? Just catching up on some shut eye?

What's for dinner? Any new recipes you are trying, or maybe a great recipe you'd like to share?

And of course horses too, any plans to ride? Are winter coats coming in thick, or for the folks going into summer, are your horses getting sleek and shiny?

Is life returning to 'normal' in your neck of the woods? Any food shortages at the store? Or having a tough time finding anything else? Have you started Christmas shopping?

Struggling at all? Having a tough time going into the holiday season? Frustrated by something or someone in your life?

I can't believe it is already October 23 - time seems to be flying by!! Can't wait to hear what everyone is up to!

·
Registered
84 Posts
My SATs got me
Struggling
lmao

I heard that my state's college might (or might not?) waive the SATs, but apparently I need them to graduate. I hate those fill-in bubble tests. I always mix-up the correct bubble-to-number fill in, which messes up the whole test. oof

They still have test centers. Masks on the entire duration and social distancing.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread!

So many questions, so little time!

We have a cold front coming in today that's not supposed to be too strong, then it rebounds on Sunday, then a super strong one on Monday morning. We STILL haven't washed off our turnout sheets from last winter, so I guess we're going to be doing that this weekend.

I love it when Pony grows in his winter coat -- it's so nice and black, and it won't fade as quickly as his summer coat. I was surprised to see, yesterday, how shiny he is. Usually you don't think of winter coats as being shiny. But his is thick and really shiny. He gets a really nice winter coat that looks like a normal coat when it's warm, but it all stands up and gets velvety and thick when it's colder. Sort of like the way a bird fluffs up its feathers when it's cold.

The other two have their winter coats partially grown in.

I'm planning on making my first big bowl of chili this weekend. Yay, cold weather!

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Beat me to it. Hope everyone is doing well.

One topic I wanted to add was Its The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown will not be shown on national tv for the first time since its Debut. Article I saw said it will be on Apple TV. Didn't finish the details, was busy mumbling something about 2020.

Its unfairly warm here, not a fan.

That makes it harder for me to get in the holiday spirit. But trying to.

Life is pretty normal here. No shortages.

As for what is for supper, no clue. I have grilled out a lot this week because it's been nice and Remington loves it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning on making my first big bowl of chili this weekend. Yay, cold weather!
Yum! Chili is my favorite - I actually have some sitting in the fridge to be heated up for dinner.

I'll stick the recipe here, in case anyone wants to try something new!

Ingredients:
- 1 lb ground turkey (or chicken, I'm sure beef would work too! maybe even venison, hmm)
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 cups of sweet potato (3 small sweet potatoes, or 2 large)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans (I added an additional can of kidney beans too)
- 2 cups broth (I use Better than Bouillon)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (I added 1 or 2 more to substitute for the chili powder)
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt

Directions:
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil over med heat, I used a dutch oven. Add in diced onion and bell pepper, cook for 5-7 minutes, or until soft.
2. Add in ground turkey and cook until outside it cooked, inside can still be pink.
3. Add in minced garlic, cubed sweet potato, diced tomatoes, black beans, broth, diced chipotle peppers, and seasonings.
4. Bring up to a simmer, adjust temperature so it stays at a calm simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fully cooked through.
5. Optional - blend 2 cups of chili and stir back into the chili pot.
6. Enjoy - I top with sour cream and cheddar cheese.

This recipe makes about 4/6 servings, depending on your appetite.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My SATs got me lmao

I heard that my state's college might (or might not?) waive the SATs, but apparently I need them to graduate. I hate those fill-in bubble tests. I always mix-up the correct bubble-to-number fill in, which messes up the whole test. oof

They still have test centers. Masks on the entire duration and social distancing.
Ick! It's been over 5 years since I took the ACT (never took the SAT). Standardized testing is a silly concept, but I'm sure you will knock it out of the park! I actually really like the prep books you can get from Barnes&Noble (and Amazon I'm sure), I'm reading through and taking the practice tests in the GRE Prep Book now. I think I had an ACT Prep Book in high school, and I wish I would've taken it more seriously, as they usually have good tips for whichever test you are taking.

The one thing I had to keep in mind for every test was: Slow Down. Take a Breath. Lot's of silly mistakes (like filling in the wrong bubble!) can be avoided by slowing down and being methodical about how you take the test.

Good luck!!! After you get into college, your SAT score will never matter again.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's chilly but dry here. The weather's improved after a few days of rain.

I don't carve pumpkins, I stick with our traditional turnips/neeps. The neighbourhood has a lot of Halloween/Samhuinn decorations already. I'm surprised by the amount given the restrictions. Usually most of my neighbours don't bother but I think people need the fun and distraction, even if they won't get Guisers.

Nothing special planned for this weekend. I'm going to start clearing out my garden, I'm supposed to be meeting-up with a friend to walk her gorgeous Border Collie and I've some reading and paperwork to finish in preparation for returning to work on Monday. I'm working from home, which should ease the transition after seven months on furlough.

We're still not at 'normal' in our area, The second wave is causing a huge increase in cases and it looks like there will be further restrictions starting on Monday.

Tea tonight is fish with steamed vegetables and homemade soup.

I spent today organising a few things at my parents house. It's empty at the moment and i wanted to see what was needing done regarding maintenance.

I took a break at lunchtime to go to a nearby shop and I cut through the grounds of the local estate. It always brings back memories as I used to walk and ride the trails in the grounds with my parents, and I walked the path in the photo twice a day for years when i was in Primary School.

Anyway, some photos from this morning.The big house was private, now it's commercial

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
Beat me to it. Hope everyone is doing well.
Glad to see you here with us aubie....
I've missed you and you starting this weekly "whatcha doing?"....

Although I seldom post in this section, I enjoy reading what others are up to and how life is going for all.

I vote for that chili cleardonkey, sounds delicious...
Think chili just went on our menu tonight too... :smile:
Lunch time and already anticipating supper...not good for the waistline expanding. :icon_rolleyes::rofl:

Enjoy all... off to clean the horses paddock..joy, joy. :cool:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
@horselovinguy the great thing about this kind of chili (@ClearDonkey's recipe is surprisingly similar to my own, which is one that I basically just came up with myself) is that it's quite healthy. I personally don't add meat, but Turkey is not bad for you. And other than that, it's all veggies. I also add:
- green beans (cut very small)
- bell peppers
- serrano peppers
- summer squash (sometimes)
- any veggies I have sitting around that need to get eaten.
- Lots more spices, LOL. I love spicy food. Cumin, coriander, chili powder, a little turmeric (why not?) paprika, smoked paprika, marjoram (because it keeps overgrowing my garden), bay leaves (my bay tree is over 12 feet tall!), maybe oregano if I don't have enough marjoram.

Of course, then I make Frito Chili Pies out of it, which sort of takes away from the healthiness. But oh well.

·
Registered
17,060 Posts
Happy Friday! :)

Stressful work week, but glad it's Friday.

Missed you, @aubie but I'm glad @ClearDonkey was able to also bring it back to life today!

Probably having pork chops for dinner, bought a ton at BJ's the other day. I kinda want pizza though... :lol: LOL.

Haven't thought about the major holidays, but tomorrow I am going to a scary attraction place with my friend, so it should be fun! :)

Really hazy, foggy & humid here the past few days. I don't like it at all, I was getting used to the chillier weather! :sad:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
My vegan friend made chili for us a couple years ago. It was a sweet potato chili. I'm not usually a chili fan, but this stuff was delicious.
I'm already struggling against the notion of the expanding waistline. I have yet to lose that last 5 lbs from pregnancy. I very much struggle with being consistent about any sort of exercise that is not horse or barn related, and my horse time is so limited these days, it's just not enough.

I thought today about how animals don't worry about how fat they are. In fact, they tend to be very happy being a bit on the plump side, lol. Humans are such vain creatures.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My vegan friend made chili for us a couple years ago. It was a sweet potato chili. I'm not usually a chili fan, but this stuff was delicious.
I'm already struggling against the notion of the expanding waistline. I have yet to lose that last 5 lbs from pregnancy. I very much struggle with being consistent about any sort of exercise that is not horse or barn related, and my horse time is so limited these days, it's just not enough.

I thought today about how animals don't worry about how fat they are. In fact, they tend to be very happy being a bit on the plump side, lol. Humans are such vain creatures.

I empathize so much with you on the expanding waistline - I have been saving a pair of really nice pants to tailor once I found a sewing machine to do so with, and upon trying them on, I could no longer button nor zip them - I ordered a scale on Amazon later that day.

Well, to my surprise, I've gained nearly 20 pounds since March. :oops: Working from home hasn't helped, neither has not really going out and doing things because of COVID. I try to ride as much as I can, but life is getting in the way of that.

My horse, Minnie, is round as a ball right now, so I tell her we are working on getting our beach bodies ready for 2021 as there was no reason to this year. :lol:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
My last post inspired me to do a yoga workout, so now I'm all sweaty. I started yoga last spring but stopped after a week or so because my toddler could not stop herself from climbing all over me and made it impossible. Now she's several months older, and was more interested in mimicking me, lol. I just need to stick with it, and I'm sure I'll see positive change. The trouble is sticking with it - like I said, I only seem to be consistently motivated by horse related exercise. Guess I'll just have to get y'all here to nag me about it.

My waistline is 31 inches, so I'm not too plump really. But I need to get a handle on it now and not just let it go until it spirals out of control.

Dinner tonight is a chopped Thai salad, because we bought the stuff for it last weekend and it needs used before it goes bad. It's delicious though, so I'm not complaining. I'm going to look around for a sweet potato chili recipe. So delicious, so guilt free for people watching their weight.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yea, @ClearDonkey! Thanks for starting this thread.

Today is my Dad's Birthday. He's been gone 18 years ... hard to imagine. Miss him (and my sister) every day. No doubt he's rolling over in his grave for what the US has come to.

Going to my Mom's this weekend. So will not get a lot done at home, which is fine. Still hoping the Theaters will be opening soon by her; we miss going to Movies. The one theater in Tehachapi will open over Thanksgiving weekend ... Yahoo! Can't wait!!

Dinner ... will be left over lunch (Chinese). Yum. Although I'm sorely disappointed @aubie is not making something I can invite myself over for ... :razz: I made "Best Ever Cowboy Beans" for a dinner I went to last weekend; it makes a TON, but they are really good. Have a huge container of left over in the freezer. Google it and the recipe pops up. Quick & easy and tastey.

Will not get a ride in this weekend more than likely, unless I get home especially early on Sunday. We'll see. Pi does not get much of a winter coat and she's already been sporting her blanket at night. Sunday there's a 40% chance of rain (what ever that is, LOL) and Monday ... a chance for SNOW!

Things are getting closer to "normal" although unlikely to totally go back to the way it was. Still have trouble finding disinfecting wipes, but that is about all that is on the shortage list.

Started back yesterday with walking; I popped my knee about 4 weeks ago but it's doing great. A little sore after the walking I've done today though. I completed 3 virtual walks before September and took a break and started another one yesterday. They are pretty motivating and fun.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My last post inspired me to do a yoga workout, so now I'm all sweaty. I started yoga last spring but stopped after a week or so because my toddler could not stop herself from climbing all over me and made it impossible. Now she's several months older, and was more interested in mimicking me, lol. I just need to stick with it, and I'm sure I'll see positive change. The trouble is sticking with it - like I said, I only seem to be consistently motivated by horse related exercise. Guess I'll just have to get y'all here to nag me about it.

My waistline is 31 inches, so I'm not too plump really. But I need to get a handle on it now and not just let it go until it spirals out of control.

Dinner tonight is a chopped Thai salad, because we bought the stuff for it last weekend and it needs used before it goes bad. It's delicious though, so I'm not complaining. I'm going to look around for a sweet potato chili recipe. So delicious, so guilt free for people watching their weight.

Well done, keep up the yoga. I was reasonably fit until the lockdown. It's added cms to my waistline. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until a runner overtook me while I was puffing up the hill to my house. I see this guy regularly and he must be in his 80s! Recent posts encouraged me to return to Yoga as well, I've also increased the distance i walk and, most days, added a half hour workout. I lack motivation unless the exercise is entertaining like riding or some other sport, I couldn't hamster away on a treadmill. I doubt that my joints would thank me!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Multiple choice tests are easy. On a question you can easily weed out the ones that are wrong. It is essay questions that are difficult.

To student nurses- The NCLX nursing exam freaks people out. But if you paid attention in class and took good notes and read them over again (whatever you hear in lecture will be seen again) it is not that hard. In the test if the computer switches to just one subject watch out. It is finding your weakness to trip you up. If the screen suddenly says test over, you may go it is one of two things. Either you flunked or you aced it.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
@ClearDonkey, thanks for starting this up again:thumbsup::thumbsup:
@aubie, YAY! It’s GREAT to see you!:happydance::happydance:

We are having early summer weather - mid70’s with humidity & dewpoint both in the 60’s. Makes for uncomfortable horses. I shampooed both of them really good with MalAcetic on Monday. That got the old crud off at least.

I have their ulcer meds and the Equimax ready, if we ever get Middle Tennessee’s idea of a hard frost. Rusty & Joker are both mid-20’s so I start them on Egusin about seven days before they get the wormer shoved down them. Joker has had ulcer issues in the past, giving him the Egusin before the worm meds really seems to help him.

Cool front is moving in, following storms later tonight. Lows in the 50’s with highs only in the 60’s tomorrow. This will be great for the kids to unload/stack the hay I brought home today.

Today I went after what I hope is my last 100 bales of hay until next spring. Good hay is at a premium and it’s been almost scarcer than hens teeth.

I thought I liked my new post cataract surgery gradient bifocals until I had to back the trailer into the workshop. It took me longer to back the trailer in than it did to drive the 15-you-can’t-get-there-from-here-miles to the feed store, lol.

DH will bring supper home from Rafaels when he gets off work. Hopefully they still have shrimp quesadilla on the menu. If not a cheese calzone with onions will work.

Weight - blah - I am still the same 20# overweight the doctor told me to lose eight years ago. He’s stopped saying anything, lol

I have hung into a pair of 1980’s something size 8 jeans - when they really were size 8 - in the hopes I might at least get into them again, even if I never wear jeans again. I might be able to if I lost that 20 pounds but I still eat the same amount of the wrong foods I ate when I wasn’t slowed down by a cane, so they stay buried in a dresser drawer, lollol

We still have ~11 acres left to bushhog for the last time this year. The grass was dry and dying off, so I was able to take my JD with the finish mower and do some extra trimming along fences to save some corner turning time on the farm tractor.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
@ClearDonkey, thanks for starting this up again:thumbsup::thumbsup:

@aubie, YAY! It’s GREAT to see you!:happydance::happydance:

We are having early summer weather - mid70’s with humidity & dewpoint both in the 60’s. Makes for uncomfortable horses. I shampooed both of them really good with MalAcetic on Monday. That got the old crud off at least.

I have their ulcer meds and the Equimax ready, if we ever get Middle Tennessee’s idea of a hard frost. Rusty & Joker are both mid-20’s so I start them on Egusin about seven days before they get the wormer shoved down them. Joker has had ulcer issues in the past, giving him the Egusin before the worm meds really seems to help him.

Cool front is moving in, following storms later tonight. Lows in the 50’s with highs only in the 60’s tomorrow. This will be great for the kids to unload/stack the hay I brought home today.

Today I went after what I hope is my last 100 bales of hay until next spring. Good hay is at a premium and it’s been almost scarcer than hens teeth.

I thought I liked my new post cataract surgery gradient bifocals until I had to back the trailer into the workshop. It took me longer to back the trailer in than it did to drive the 15-you-can’t-get-there-from-here-miles to the feed store, lol.

DH will bring supper home from Rafaels when he gets off work. Hopefully they still have shrimp quesadilla on the menu. If not a cheese calzone with onions will work.

Weight - blah - I am still the same 20# overweight the doctor told me to lose eight years ago. He’s stopped saying anything, lol

I have hung into a pair of 1980’s something size 8 jeans - when they really were size 8 - in the hopes I might at least get into them again, even if I never wear jeans again. I might be able to if I lost that 20 pounds but I still eat the same amount of the wrong foods I ate when I wasn’t slowed down by a cane, so they stay buried in a dresser drawer, lollol

We still have ~11 acres left to bushhog for the last time this year. The grass was dry and dying off, so I was able to take my JD with the finish mower and do some extra trimming along fences to save some corner turning time on the farm tractor.
Good to see you to

1 - 20 of 30 Posts