The Horse Forum banner

Happy Thanksgiving to all the American Members!

317 9
Today dawned bright, cold and clear; my favorite Normal Rockwell weather for Thanksgiving. I know there is another thread about Thanksgiving prep, but I just wanted to wish you all a really nice day today . If you have family, I hope you can be with them, and if you are with them, I hope you ENJOY being with them! I hope your weather is good and that no wind storm knocks out the power half way through the cooking of the bird or the pies. I hope nothing burns, the gravy browns, the turkey browns and the mashed potatoes are fluffy. May you not regret how much you eat and may you all share in the clean up!

Happy Turkey day!

My house feast will be best suited for diabetic family members:

Cornish Game hens, rice, a big vegetable stir-fry with lots of Chinese greens, roasted butternut squash and baked apple dumplings using fake sweeteners.
Anything unusual about your feast?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,557 Posts
No, ours is regular old turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, cranberry salad, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie w/ whipped cream. Mmmmm! Shirley and I have been putting it together since 8:00 except what time I took off to straighten up and run the vacuum. Dinner will be around 1:30 and I'm ready and hungry. Then will be turkey coma time in the loveseat!

· Registered
675 Posts
I have to start getting ready for work soon but at least it pays time and a half on holidays. My family will save me some leftovers but wish I could be there. Thanksgiving dinner is the best ever IMHO. Love all the traditional food--soooo good! Helpful hint--my mom uses corn starch to thicken gravy instead of flour. No lumps and less fattening that way--tastes great. :)

· Registered
16,653 Posts
I started cooking on Monday. Not because we're having so much but because I decided a few years ago that I was no longer going to leave all the work until the day and then be too tired to enjoy everything I did. So, Monday, I made the fresh cranberry sauce. Not a lot of work, but probably my favorite dish. I also started the brisket marinating with the dry rub. Tues. I did the dressing, got that all fixed up and ready to just set in the oven to warm up and crisp the top. Weds. I did the butternut squash custards. Today I stuck the brisket in the smoker and made the pumpkin cheesecake pie. It's all doing it's cooking thing and will be ready for supper at around 4 pm and we'll all be comatose by 5 or 6. Works for me!

Oh, and we've been adopted by a sweet Great Pyrenese LGD, so he's getting fed and a shelter made out in the car port and tomorrow we'll call the vet to get a check up appointment made for him and see what he needs. He's been kind of hanging out and we finally found a number on his collar and found out he has no home, so he's chosen this one. Name of Hoss. Seriously underweight,, so gonna be a while before that name fits again.

· Super Moderator
18,198 Posts
Man, I can and will get fat-ter just on the delicious descriptions read...

We are just doing us, extended family is to far away to get to and leaving this time of year when the animals need us...not happening.

So turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes {real from peeled potatoes}, stuffing made from home not a box, I do do jellied cranberry sauce, green bean casserole are on our menu too.
Dessert is a apple pie and pumpkin for hubby with whipped cream on top.
Apple cider chilled for beverage....
Then we watch one of the TV channels that will have the traditional must see being broadcast or....we can put a movie on.
But today is about family and peaceful togetherness.....

May your celebration be a joyful one with much love and laughter shared.... 😘

hlg...🐴

· Registered
951 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving!

I had to go into work this morning, so it was a bit later until I was able to leave for my family’s house.
im having two thanksgivings this year! One at my aunts with my brother his Gf, and my parents and a few of my aunts friends. And then one at my parents..
my mom is diabetic and so is my aunt, but the rest of us aren’t so we had a mixture of food..some good for diabetics some normal.
I made carrot cake cupcakes (secret recipe from our bakery… I used the usual recipe but I guess it was tripled because it was such a large batch i almost stayed up all night baking and decorating them) and two apple pies, and white rolls.
But we had Turkey, rolls, mashed potato’s, stuffing, sweet potatoes, etc the usual.

so I’m now traveling back home, it’s a few hours and the horses are probably getting impatient! (Thank goodness for the horses..they are the best excuse when you need to leave!)

For anyone traveling, or with family, etc, hope you have a safe trip back and a great rest of your day :)

· Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,549 Posts
Right back at ya @tinyliny hope that your Thanksgiving was a good one and you didnt over eat to much :whistle:. Our Thanksgiving well its been raining all day long and no Sun Shine :( , this gloomy weather has been going on for a week now, need some Sun shine :rolleyes: But other wise is was all good..

· Registered
3,422 Posts
Happy thanksgiving everyone! Had our big dinner at 4pm. Turkey on the grill. Mashed potatoes,acorn squash from garden this summer, cranberry salad homemade stuffing an homemade gravy an biscuits. Desert was pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream on top.

Before dinner ride was absolutely beautiful weather 43 degrees an sunny. So got on horses bareback an took a ride.
Horse Plant Snow Mammal Tree

1 - 10 of 10 Posts