The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! My mare is a bit hard to catch sometimes. She doesn't like a direct approach, so I often go into the pasture and pet one of the other horses until she warms up and walks over (I don't want to push her and make her afraid to be caught, I feel like that would make the whole situation worse.)

I feel like we are figuring it out slowly but surely. do you have any tips for hard to catch horses?

Thanks for the tips!!:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Don't catch your horse, let your horse catch you." -Monty Roberts

I would try join up. There are many tutorials on how to do this. Then your horse will be running to you!! Another good idea is to always have treats on you. Make being caught a pleasent experiance with lots of praise.

Pick a day when you go down and play with your horse in the field. Turn her out, and mess around to try and catch her. Do anything, even if it's crazy or weird. When you catch her, pat her, treat her, then let her go. Continue to do this.

I once had to catch a horse who wouldn't come. what i did was walk towards him, and when he was about to run away, I would turn and sprint towards the gate. He got so confused by this that he started to run to the gate as well!! He still wouldn't let me catch him though so when he started running to the gate, I simply stopped and sat down in the middle of the feild. Completely mind blown, this horse just walked over to me wide eyed and I slipped the halter on, praised and gave him a treat. He was still bewildered!!

The point i'm trying to make is do whatever you need to to make being caught fun and exciting. If it become stressful try something else or do what you're already doing. If it becomes something nice, she'll look forward to it and the bond between the two of you may even grow :)

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Whether treats or otherwise, I agree with the above basically. Make it worthwhile for her to come to you & make it a bit difficult for her when she avoids you. I'd just walk after her, keeping on *light* pressure whenever she's walking away/trying to ignore you, & take off all pressure whenever she hesitates/moves towards you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have you tried giving her treats? Our horses have to get beat back left right and center when they spy a feed scoop or bucket in your hand. It never hurts to offer an incentive.

Try drawing her towards you. Approach her and every time she gives you her attention instead of looking to move away, stop and back up a few steps. If she looks away, start approaching again and so on, and see if she'll start following you.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.