147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone work with Trotters?
I have worked for one of the best female trainers in the southers hemisphere =D
She trains alot of her horses at the beach which is so much fun to drive on =D

·
Registered
886 Posts
we have both trotters and pacers. :D my broodmare is a NZ bred pacer, and we have had somet other NZ horses to. theyre built beautifully. we just had our trotting broodmare bred and she foaled on july 4th to a beautiful chestnut colt.

·
Registered
634 Posts
what sort of speed would you expect a full bred trotter/pacer to do,i don,t mean champion times more the average one

·
Registered
886 Posts
it all depends on the size of the track theyre on (1/2 mile, mile, mile+1/4), the size of the horse on the track (some larger horses have a hard time racing on a half mile track, but are fine on a mile size track because of the size of the turns) the track surface, and the class of horse they are.

for example where i am, our trotters (putting class aside) typically trot an average mile in 2:00-2:02. but thats an average. some go faster some are slower. our pacers go an average of 1:58-2:00.

yet you can take these same horses to a better track and your trotter can go 1:59, and your pacer 1:56.

my pacing broodmare for her size (shes very large) they usually go about 1:58-1:59 on a half mile track. my mare has a record of 1:54:3 on a half mile track. she was extremely fast for her class of horse :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
My grandfather and father both have raced and trained pacers so i have been around them my entire life. while i dont groom anymore, after i graduated high school i worked at the track for about 4 years. i love standardbreds and i miss working with them like crazy!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almagron, What are your NZ horses?
We had som USA horses sent over last season for the inter Doms =D
And we have had various horses sent to USA aswell =D
Do you know Delft?

·
Registered
886 Posts
our NZ hoses were Slim N Fit (whos now my broodmare), Almagro, umm thats all i can remember off the top of my head right now!

·
Registered
148 Posts
oh and you guys that are interested in the NZ bred horses, one of my favourite horses i looked after was Franco Justin N. i dont know much about the NZ horses and he wasnt a fast horse persay but he was a huge teddy bear and i loved him. definitely a gentle giant, he was quite large. luckily i know he has a wonderful retirement home but i would have much rathered that he had come to be one of my saddle horses.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm a trotting person. Started with pacers but started working for a trotting only (female) trainer. Our trotters average a mile in about 1:56. We race on bigger ovals, though. Mohawk and Woodbine are big, fast tracks. Fastest trotter I ever looked after went in 1:53. I've been lucky enough to look afer some good horses...2 that went over the 1 million in earnings before retirement. Love the trotters!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My alltime fav Is called The Man Himself he was a big black trotter but he was EXP to aus... =(
Yea the lady i help trained Delft (who was the giant of the trotting world) when he was in NZ and she got him trotting again and going really well. He broke records and won Interdoms for her but he is back in USA now

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
I've always had a passing interest in Standardbreds and grew up near Yonkers Raceway in NY. I've never had the difference between a trotter and a pacer explained. What is the difference?

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Trotters, trot :) Pacers, pace! A pace is a two beat lateral gait: the front and hind right legs move together, and the front and hind left legs move together. Vs the trot, where the opposites work together: front right with hind left, and front left with hind right.
Duh!! {smacks forehead with heel of hand}

·
Registered
886 Posts
Duh!! {smacks forehead with heel of hand}
hey, thats the most common question im asked. most people dont even know standardbreds race on those gaits. either they know there are pacers, or trotters, they never know there are pacers AND trotters racing lol.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The crazy thing is how DIFFERENT trotters and pacers are in personality and looks. You can tell a trotter from a pacer from a mile away in most cases. I love the personality of a trotter - they are a little hotter in my experience, but they are a great challenge. It's so awesome when you get a going well, a real sense of accomplishment. Trotters are way trickier to figure out!
Oh, and my fave trotter I had was Laddie - he made 1.1 million in 2 seasons and took me to the Hambletonian where he was 3rd. That was the best! He's in Sweeden now, I think he's a stud.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MMM very much so! Alot of the trotters are very "traditional" looking, much more solid =D

·
Registered
886 Posts
MMM very much so! Alot of the trotters are very "traditional" looking, much more solid =D
actually i wouldnt call them more solid than a pacer. if your speaking in terms of racing, no trotters are more apt to break than pacers. if your speaking body build, no again- trotters may seem more solid, but thats because their muscle is concentrated, more to the chest and rear due to them working opposite legs at the same time, where as pacers muscle is more even through the body because of having to work a whole side of his body at one time. a good pacer will always "rock" when pacing, its a sign of using the WHOLE body to work, rather than the pacers who just wort their legs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I mean big horses in general. Here in NZ we have a fair bit of Sundon around on the trotting side of things and he can throw some giant colts! Such as Delft and Lightning Don... But by the traditional looking i mean you are more likely to get a trotter that looks very similar to how standardbreds looked many years ago than a pacer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I mean big horses in general. Here in NZ we have a fair bit of Sundon around on the trotting side of things and he can throw some giant colts! Such as Delft and Lightning Don... But by the traditional looking i mean you are more likely to get a trotter that looks very similar to how standardbreds looked many years ago than a pacer.
im confused here. STBs arent supposed to be big, 15-16hh at the largest. and truthfully your pacers will look more like early STBs as they tend to be sleeker and longer legged. early STBs more resembled TBs (though a tad bit heavier), as thats who they originated from (Messenger). your trotters tend to be stockier and heavier than pacers, and sometimes shorter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I work with the standardbreds. We only have 3 trotters and 10 pacers right now. Trotters are more rewarding but can take a lot to figure out and keep flat. But once you have a good one, they are great!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts