The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of debate about Clinton Anderson but has anyone actually taken their horse to one of his clinics? Or to one of his apprentice's clinics?
I don't mean as a demo horse but where owner and horse participate for three days.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Nope, but I have heard stories where he's gone and thrown tantrums about people -giggles- I know teaching some people is frustrating, but it's not like he's not getting paid hella good money.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard those rumors too but I am wondering if there are any people who felt like they learned a lot and got their money's worth. If it was a good experience. Not that I am thinking about doing it! For two grand my horse and I could spend a long time with the trainers after all.

·
Registered
872 Posts
There was a post on fuglyhorseoftheday that he did some pretty nasty stuff to a clients horse.... I have never liked him, so I would never use him, plus I ride english. ;]

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Probably because the people that have that much money, have very little sense and are probably doing some corporate job, trying to get along with their horse - not actually educating themselves.

Like you said.. You can spend quite awhile at a trainer's for that.

Reactions: Palomine

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Well since most of the responses were not from actual participants in a CA seminar, I may as well throw in my 2 cents.

A trainer from my trail club did participate in a three day when he came to Maine. She was very pleased and felt she got her moneys worth.

Though this is still not from an actual participant, take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I can't imagine that if he was as awful as some people say he would be very succesful as a clinician. I have seen him and I didn't feel like he was arrogant or abusive to horses or people. He told them the way it is and what they had done to get thier horse in the shape it was in. Some people find that hard to take. I would ride in other clinics before his but if that's what you like then go ahead. He does great things with horses regardless of how he acts towards the people that own them.

Reactions: PixiTrix

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have to agree with the above post....He has to be getting results with his clients and horses. Can't say he would be my first choice but I do believe one could learn a lot from him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm glad I went to an apprentice clinic

I have not been to one of clinton's clinics but I have been to a 3 and 10 day clinic by what I believe to be the only person to survive his apprenticeship. Shana Terry. I learned a great deal from her and was very impressed by her knowledge and abilities. I could not say enough good things about her and it would seem clinton did a great job teaching her how to handle both horses and people. I probably would not attend another clinic simply because the majority of the people at them have a tendency to slow the progress of the group more than I would like but I am glad I attended both clinics.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I would like to attend a 3 day with him if it wasn't so painful for the pocket book lol.

I have a feeling most of what people "hear" about him that is so negative is just gossip from someone who was told they were the reason their horse was so messed up.. and the "abuse" to the horse is someone who thinks their horse is made out of candy canes and spun sugar and will just shatter with the smack of a leather popper or point of a spur, or they couldn't stand the thought of poor little Ponypoo being treated like the 1000lb animal that they are....

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i would love to go to one, but have never had the opportunity....i also agree with some of the other posts that he would not be so successful if he was super abusive to horses & a total sh*t to people.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I saw him at the equine affair in MA a few years ago. He took a lunatic 3 year old and transformed it into a calm, licking and chewing cooperative horse within 30 minutes. It was very impressive. I don't know about is clinics, but he's extremely entertaining in front of crowds.

I have a feeling that most of the negative comments come from people who didn't appreciate the truth that their 1100lb baby walks all over them. He is a man and therefore is verbally blunt by nature. He's not their to coddle the participants. He's there to help them train their horses. That being said, it's a lot of money to blow on 3 days where you may just end up offended.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya, it seems like a lot of money to spend for three days. How much can you really learn in three days. Our trainer charges $600 a month. I can have as many lessons as I want included in that while my horse is there. But the thought of a clinic sounds good in that you are immersed for that time and probably learn more because you are not distracted. I would love to do a three day clinic. I did one on my old horse and the clinic was $200. It was a huge waste of time and money. Mostly we stood around and told each other about ourselves and then people went one at a time to work with their horses and the rest of us stood there being bored.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was trying to find some reviews on CA's clinics, we just attended a three day clinic and though I love the method, I will never spend another penny on any of CA's clinics, publications, etc.... I am no tree hugger, believe me, but when you gets run into at a full gallop, by one of his own trainers in training, and your leg gets broken in two places, and Mr. CA doesn't even take 2 seconds to acknowledge the fact because he's too high & mighty, that's just being a complete jerk (LOL, I have much better words for it). He was a very unpleasant person to be around. I was on the sidelines in a cast & crutches, and when he told everyone they were taking the horses to the obstacle course, (I was SO disappointed, as I had SO looked forward to that!) he was getting down off the fence and I said, Hey Clinton, Can I ask one of the guys running around on the Gators if they can give me a ride over to the obstacle course? He turned around, rolled his eyes and said, "Uh NO...." then mumbled, find a piggyback.........
The spectators that were sitting by me were shocked, as was I. I kept hearing, Did he just tell her that? Does he know she's the one who's leg was broke by the horse that ran into them? OMG..... I was so disappointed, they used my horse as the demo horse on the obstacles, and I couldn't even get to see...... He has let the fame go to his head, and when people look up to you, and pay **** good money to learn and to soak in the knowledge, then it's even more disappointing to see how uncaring he is to not only the people but the horses as well. I know 8-9 people who said they will never return for a clinic or anything else. My husband and I had originally thought about leaving my horse for the 6 week academy, since my leg was broke the first day of the clinic, I knew I would not be able to come home and continue what was learned, we had the money in hand to leave him, but after the way CA treated everyone, I would never have left my horse on his property. I will sit out for the 8 weeks needed to heal, then I will start where I left off, without CA nagging and bitching.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.