The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He had 19 starts and I haven't done the pre purchase exam yet but he has big bones for a thoroughbred. The bad thing is he's 16.3hh. He passed the flexion tests my instructor did and I rode him. I think he probably has done some jumping already but I didn't get to pop him over a cross rail. He definitely is at training level in dressage. I don't know who owned him in the 4 years after he stopped racing. I'm buying him from a dealer place (he's getting a detailed ppe).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought him but I don't think we'll be jumping

When the vet did the x-rays and I asked my instructor if she thinks he'll even be able to do first level dressage she said she didn't know but my instructor hates thoroughbreds and I think maybe she didn't want me to buy him just because of that. I felt sick and don't know much about x-rays. I didn't get to x-ray his feet but the radiograph machine showed his front fetlocks and coffin bones. How the vet did that w/out removing his shoes I don't know. He has a chip floating right on his coffin bone and in the other front leg he has calcification of the sesamoid bone. The leg with the sesamoid doesn't bother him other than not being able to flex as much during the flexion tests. The foot with the chip near his coffin bone is bothering him a little. But he is also a little one-sided. No ouchy feet behind but he's hip high on one side which surprised me because he's not as one-sided as my instructor's lesson horse. His feet are in horrible condition right now and about 2-3 weeks over due for a trim (dealer's shoer has been doing his feet and says he came to them with bad feet. He has long toe/low heel condition. I hope it can change. His shoes are too small and have wedge pads underneath them (under the shoes, not over the frog or heel). He has back shoes on and his hoof is growing over the shoe. I don't think he'll need back shoes, especially since its winter.

·
Registered
804 Posts
There are so many questions mixed up in there. First of all tbs are the most noble of horses, easy and sensitive (and the basis of a lot of warmblood de jour as well).

And any horse should be able to do first level (wtc/go 'on the bit'/etc)

How can you have radiographs while shod? Really. #$(*#$& IF the horse as a broken coffin and problematic sesmoids imho it is not a horse to jump. And wedge pads are trying to prevent pain, big flag imho.Sounds like a maintenance nightmare, but certainly not a horse to be jumped.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone had a horse with sesamoid damage?

I don't know what imho stands for but the chip on his coffin bone was a tiny dot on the screen. I'm not sure that is in fact what was bothering him, he moves better on it after warming up and you need a really good eye to even notice it but the vet confirmed that foot is ouchy. The vet did take radiographs with the horse shod. He's the head vet from a university and I was standing right there while he did them. I'm not confused, I know what the basic bone structures look like, especially the coffin bone and the vet pointed to it and said "coffin bone". We had a conversation about the chip. As for his sesamoids, on one side of one sesamoid it was calcified. It looked blurred on that side. The foot with the sesamoid damage doesn't bother him but I think its the more serious of the 2 old injuries. All the horses at the dealer had wedge pads so I'm hoping they didn't all have lameness issues. He moves fine but it does seem to be headed for a maintenance nightmere when he gets older. I'm hoping he will be ok without the wedge pads and can grow some heel. I won't jump him. A girl at the dealers who was practically crying when he got sold told me she jumped him over 3'0 after I asked her if she had tried jumping him over anything besides a cross rail. Has anyone had a horse with this kind of damage before?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He was going to auction or sold as a jumper which he can't do

He had been at the dealer for months. Before the x-rays I was thinking he wouldn't pass the health check but he did. This dealer had just gotten a new truck load to sell of 20 more horses. I knew if I didn't take him after 3 trips and a ppe, he was headed for the Camelot auction in NJ. He was not a horse for a beginner rider (he was jumping around a little bit when I rode him and threw his head because he's stiff from being stalled all the time, he did stretch pretty easily though and leg yields. He kept spooking at something in the bushes too)and If he was sold to anyone I knew they wouldn't take x-rays and since he's been trained to jump, he would be jumped until he broke down and had to be euthanized or live a miserable life on stall rest with probably awful care. I use to train another ottb with a very similar personality as him. I've ridden allot of ottbs and while riding him I felt like I was riding my old horse (who wasn't technically mine but I felt like he was mine). He also turned his head and stared at me after I rode him like, your my new best friend, get me out of here! His conformation was also very impressive. Even my instructor said "that's a $10,000 horse" when I asked one of the grooms to bring him out of the barn.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
In regards to your initial question: 19 is not that old and, with the right conditioning and maintenance, you could definitely event a 19 year old TB. ...In theory.

That said, this horse sounds like he could be more trouble than he's worth.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Zex, he's had 19 starts. From the title it sounds like he's at least 10.

OP, I wish you lots of luck. It sounds like you bought with your heart. I hope that all of the issues you've listed resolve themselves. I hope for your sake that you aren't disappointed and that he isn't an equine money pit :-(

FWIW (for what its worth), I would never buy a horse who has any hint of lameness issues. Too costly on my pocketbook and my heart.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
2pics of him, he's 10 and will be 11 in March

Here's 2 pics I took of him at the dealers. He's 16.3-17hh and 10 years old. This morning he looked very pretty when I turned him out and he trotted the length of the paddock with his tail up and his neck out. His back toes point out but he's not at all cow hocked. He's got nice big straight hocks. I wish he would've used them in the paddock this morning. He cantered down a hill and then bunny hopped to a stop instead of rocking back on his hocks. His back feet, hocks and stifles passed all the flexion tests done by the vet in the exam and I had him tested for drugs.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Congrats on the new horse!

His age shouldn't stop him from starting eventing. However, you said that you were worried people would buy him and jump him and he'd break down? If you honestly thing that, then eventing wouldn't be for him.

I think the best thing to do is just start it and keep an eye on him. If he has difficulties then evaluate the situation.

I wouldn't probably get a horse knowing those issues. However, probably 90% of horse buyers don't get x-rays and a lot of them don't get vet checks. I'm sure many horses competing at the lower levels have problems that are unknown to the owner.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mine is 10. He sat in a paddock for 3 years after he finished racing.
I plan to focus mainly on dressage with him as he damaged his front right suspensory when he raced but I have taken him eventing at low levels which he seemed to enjoy. His leg has held up fine and we have had no problems with it.
This is us last weekend.

Horse Bridle Equestrianism Animal sports Sports
Horse Equestrianism Bridle Animal sports Sports

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
He's a nice shaped horse - how he performs is really all down to how that sesamoid bone problem holds up when he's in harder work and you wont know that until you reach that point
As for his age - there are many eventers that are competing at top level well into their teens. I'm not that well up on US horses but UK's Rosie Thomas was shortlisted for Badminton or Burghley on her Barry's Best who's now 19 and by all accounts he's still as much of a handful as he was when he was young
A 10 year old isn't an old horse at all
Good luck with him

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.