The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I just dissolve my horses' dewormer in warm water and pour it over their food. Once all the liquid is soaked up, I stir it and give it to them. Works like a charm, and I don't have to fight anyone.

What if you have a horse who's a PITA to bit, or one that's retired? This would only work well if your horse is easy to bridle and bit.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
my question is how much of this dose not go down
The US 'Easy wormer' kind has a hard plastic plunger that is inserted after the wormer or med is given. Only the side you insert into has a tract inside the 'bit' & the plunger pushes it all in. The bridle should be adjusted shorter than you would with a regular bit to instill the wormer/med onto the back of the tongue.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
ive heard of them but if my horses see the tube they know whats coming so this preobley wouldnt work for me. but looks pretty cool.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Good idea but waste of money.
Most of the wormer get stuck in/on the wormabit thing.
To me the only reason I would think someone would get this thing would be for a horse that is hard to worm but as you can see this horse is still able to toss his head and get away if he wanted, a firm grip on a halter would work just as good.
Also, I would mix the wormer in with feed or get a feed through before I wasted my money on this thing.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Good idea but waste of money.
Most of the wormer get stuck in/on the wormabit thing.
To me the only reason I would think someone would get this thing would be for a horse that is hard to worm but as you can see this horse is still able to toss his head and get away if he wanted, a firm grip on a halter would work just as good.
Also, I would mix the wormer in with feed or get a feed through before I wasted my money on this thing.
Any horse can get away from anything if he wanted. I use this on a 16.3 Saddlebred with a huge neck & when he raises his head I can't even reach his halter much less his mouth. He does lower his head for haltering & bridling though.
The plunger pushes it all out & the bridle is left on for a while after use. There is very little if any wormer left on the bit.
12 bucks is a small price to pay to avoid a fight.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Mudpie needs one of those xD He's terrible :\ Poor guy...

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Any horse can get away from anything if he wanted. I use this on a 16.3 Saddlebred with a huge neck & when he raises his head I can't even reach his halter much less his mouth. He does lower his head for haltering & bridling though.
The plunger pushes it all out & the bridle is left on for a while after use. There is very little if any wormer left on the bit.
12 bucks is a small price to pay to avoid a fight.
Still a waste of $12 in my opinion.
Also, like I said....I can just mix it in their feed if it that big of a deal.
I also do not understand how this helps you if a halter does not help, if he is going to throw his head with the halter he is going to do it with this.
the times I have used one there has always been a lot left in it, no matter how long it has been in the horses mouth.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I wish they where that cheap here, In australia they are anywhere between 35 40,
Wow. Can you order one on line? The Aussie one is a little different than the ones here so maybe that's why the price difference. Yours has a nicer color & thicker nylon & uses a pipe cleaner/ brush instead of a plunger but the concept is the same.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm always told to worm my horse before she eats or is fed.
why?
Also mixing the wormer in the food in a good idea.

Yeah I'm almost certain I would be able to order online but worming doesn't really bother me, I'm just terribly short and can get my thumb to the end of the syring so I get my boyfriend to do it, haha

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I'm always told to worm my horse before she eats or is fed.
why?
Also mixing the wormer in the food in a good idea.

Yeah I'm almost certain I would be able to order online but worming doesn't really bother me, I'm just terribly short and can get my thumb to the end of the syring so I get my boyfriend to do it, haha
That's so there is nothing in their mouth to spit out with the wormer. Some say the wormer works better on an empty stomach but when does a horse ever have an empty stomach?
Yeah, I'm short to & have the same problem with some syringes. Small hands don't help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.