The Horse Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have no idea what other essential oils were in it! Sorry.
Just found out what it was called!

It is called Garlic-Barrier.
I hate when directions call for only a little dosage, I feel like it doesn't work, but for the GB all you need is 1 Tablespoon!
smells so strong!

It is certified Organic as-well. geves them dapples and darker skin aswell!

·
Registered
97 Posts
It was made for Plants and trees, but they found out other uses! It is usually only used for sheep and goats, but don't worry, alot of people around here uses it for Eq.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the tip zephyr911, I'll try this out. Our horses live on an organic farm so I've been looking for a fly treatment with no pesticides :)

·
Administrator
35,675 Posts
We fed garlic in the UK where you can (or could) buy it really cheaply but can't say that it did much at all to repel anything - and you need to weigh the risks of feeding too much garlic against any benefits
I had better results using it as an ingredient in DIY fly potions
Things like deer and horse flies, as far as I've ever found, aren't so much repelled by any smells because they're attracted to moving shapes and shiny shapes - if you wash a horse on a sunny day you'll soon find some moving in for attack.
Its better to use something permethrin based for blood suckers like them as they're sensitive to it so contact will knock them back
If your horses go into a barn or shelter they don't bother them

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the tip zephyr911, I'll try this out. Our horses live on an organic farm so I've been looking for a fly treatment with no pesticides :)
No Problem! I swear you wont be disappointed With that stuff.

same here also, Organic farm!

I have had many a days, in the sweltering heat, fly spray dripping down my arm, ready to run screaming away as my horse had blood dripping down her "fly protected legs".
Oh the horror! this is much easier, and, once you add up all of the costs, it is slightly cheaper than using fly spray, especially the Eco-stuff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
jaydee,

I find it does not work at all when you "spray" it on.

But, when they say you are what you eat, they mean it! Flies can just get past sprays and have a blood feast.
But when your horse EATS the garlic routinely, their blood tastes like a really juicy garlic clove. say buh-buy to bites. It also brings me great satisfaction when a fly tries to bite and gets grossed out!

·
Administrator
35,675 Posts
jaydee,

I find it does not work at all when you "spray" it on.

But, when they say you are what you eat, they mean it! Flies can just get past sprays and have a blood feast.
But when your horse EATS the garlic routinely, their blood tastes like a really juicy garlic clove. say buh-buy to bites. It also brings me great satisfaction when a fly tries to bite and gets grossed out!
We found the opposite - spraying it on, especially if you use fresh garlic to make your potion, worked but feeding processed garlic didn't.
Garlic should be fed with extreme caution
The Great Debate: Feeding Garlic To Horses - Horse&Rider | Western Training - How-To - Advice
Feeding Garlic to Horses - benefits and dangers

·
Registered
7,868 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use Eco-Vet as well. It works really well but yes, has a strong smell. I only use it on the cannon bones since that is where the flies really attack here in KS. One thing I have noted, it will kill the grass if you get overspray, I was really surprised so now make sure to spray when the horses are not on my yard.

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
I just got a sample of the Eco Vet and I LOVE IT. It does have a strong odor, very reminiscent of cedar liners and other herbal sort of smelling things. I put it on out in the barn aisle, it's a little TOO strong for me in a stall. But! I put it on the legs and under belly, neck and just a smidge rubbed from my hand in between the eyes and no flies. NONE. It's worth every dime, IMO.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yup ecovet is best I've found. My horses hate it so much though so I try to only use it when I'm riding. The equideerma still seems to be working well though! So I'm using that for at home and ecovet for trails.

·
Administrator
35,675 Posts
Care to share your "potion" recipe jaydee??? I grow garlic :)
Cold black tea, cider vinegar, garlic and Avon Skin so Soft body lotion. It tends to separate so you have to shake it really well before using if you mix larger amounts.
We also used to use a British antiseptic liquid called TCP to repel midges.
Both work about as well as anything else does and nothing is really 100% effective

41 - 52 of 52 Posts