The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shows seasons coming up, and my pony and I are starting to work on showmanship! However, I am not confident that he will do well in straight on halter class. I don't see any glaring issues, and neither do my friends, but it's always good to know others' opinions. I must apologize for how sloppy these photos are! They were screenshotted from a video my mom took of me.

For context, he was born in 1990 and has just recently brought back into constant work.

Edit : We're working on showmanship to improve his respect and patience. To qualify for division awards at our show, we have to be in every division class. Open In-Hand also includes halter.

Attachments

73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're trying! He's 30 next week, so doesn't hold his weight well. He's going out on full grass and hay once spring/summer rolls around. Definitely something we're working on. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
He looks amazing for 30! If I were the judge in the halter class, he'd get first just for showing up & longevity. He could use some more weight, and needs it on his top line which is where it's hardest to get. You don't say where you are, so I'll go by what I'd feed here because it's easy to get. Purina Ultium & Alfalfa pellets. You could also get Ukele's Tri Amino summplement, the amino acids are great for putting weight up at the top line. And of course, lots of hand walking and up/down transitions to muscle him up a bit.

But seriously, he looks great for his age! You're obviously taking really good care of him.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
This is a lease horse correct? Is it a riding lease or full care lease where you are in charge of his feed or is it the owner/barn where he is leased? He looks phenomenal for 30 so someone has been keeping up with him quite well to this point. You say he is just now being brought into work. How long was he off? How much riding are you doing? What type? At that age there will only be so much muscle that can be built.

73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@QtrBel Yup! Riding lease technically, but I help out around the barn to get a small bit off. He's been out of consistent work since he got to the barn a year or two ago. Used in lessons every once in awhile for intermediate riders. We're now in show prep for the season, so the majority of our rides are practice, short stretches or crossrails. I'm riding 2x a week right now, and will soon be riding more once the weather gets better! He's already built tons of muscle from when I started riding him. My trainer has him on a strict feed regiment, and he'll be getting more grass once summer rolls around.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
For 30, I think he looks great. Yes, lacking topline and some muscle .... but he's 30!

As far as halter classes, I assume you mean just local open shows? Personally, I don't know how well he is going to place. The thing I see is his hind end. Usually for halter horses, they like that good ROUNDING of the hindquarters and your horse does not have that. Shoulder and neck look decent -- back looks long but again he's lacking topline and muscle, so that could be influencing that too.

So in my opinion, I don't know that he will place in a halter class, but it just depends on who else is there! Go and enjoy your pony and be proud of him.

My Red usually places (or wins) at the local level for halter. He's proportioned well, thick like a typical foundation quarter horse, and has a pretty head. (the judges like a pretty head) Excuse the shadows and the fact that he was standing in a hole with this front end, but it shows a good example of a nice rounded hindquarter. Compare that to your horse. (I may show him at a AQHA show this summer .... just to see how he does in halter.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Out of curiosity, are you doing a halter class specifically, on an in-hand showmanship class? They are quite two different things, but are pretty easy to confuse sometimes.

For all classes, I think if you have your showmanship and skills down well and you know the pattern, I think you'll do fine. Local shows typically care more about actual skill it seems, but every area is different. I know my area would have placed the slightly lesser horse with excellent manners over the slightly nicer horse with bad manners, but I don't know how yours are judged. :)

For an actual "halter"("conformation", if you can call it an actual conformation class anymore - not to gripe at you, but AQHA's prized "halter horses".), I think he'll do fine. Conformation-wise there's nothing majorly wrong with him that I see from that photo, and he looks phenomenal for being 30. Typical halter classes do like to see more muscle and horses more filled-out(or fat, sometimes :| ), but I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. You don't want to get an older horse overweight or over work him trying to get him into condition, so if you can safely maybe build up a little muscle do so, but if not just go out and have some fun. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts