The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ugh, Otis. If there is one tiny gap in the fence, he always manages to squeeze his marshmallow butt through it.
In total, he's probably escaped five times in the last three years. Luckily, he's helped us find every space in the fence (they're hidden in the bushes that have grown over the wire portion of the fence), so now it's completely idiot (or smart?) proof!

2009, New Years Day (Odie's Big Day Out), was one particularily annoying yet funny incident.

I had just returned from a sleep-over party at my friends, only to find that Otis had reportedly gone missing at some point in the morning. I was still in my pajamas, and went out to assist with the search team.
We first searched our fifteen acres, then the neighbour's garden (which he has run through twice, both times while the old lady was planting/harvesting it), and finally ended up at the back driveway, comtemplating searching the rest of the neighbourhood on foot or in the truck.
We noticed the horses at the acreage across the street were running around in their paddock. And guess what we see through the trees on that driveway? Two white ears flicking around. We called, "Odie-pony! Come on home!"
Those two ears shot back in our direction, and Otis comes galloping down the driveway, on to the road, and back to us. Only, he's not stopping.
We had jump out of the way, just in time to watch him blast into the three-foot deep snow, sending a spray of it on us. Otis just bounds away like a bunny, leaving huge circular tracks from his belly in the snow.
The first thing he did was go and pig out on the hay slats. Not a scrape on him, he was just a little hungry.

How he escaped? We found little pony footprints leading from a tiny (barely fifteen centimetres wide!) space between a thick bush trunk and the first fence post on the north end of the pasture. Don't know how he finds these things!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.