The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
My ponies have escaped 3 times.

We have mostly 3 strand electric but right next to the barn we have split rail.

One evening I heard the neighbours dog barking around 9ish but as this dog barks at the wind, I didn't think anything of it. The next morning I went out to the barn and as normal, the ponies were standing patiently waiting for me. As I walked towards them I realized there was no fence line running across the front of them, it was behind them! So I opened the gate and they politely followed me in for their meal. Luckily, they didn't wander far, just back and forth across my back yard and my neighbours back yard leaving deposits all over the place. My neighbour loves animals and also is an avid gardener so he didn't mind the extra fertilizer.

The next time I was at work and my husband, who worked from home, heard my mare whinnying. She's normally not very talkative which even my non-horsey husband realises, so he went out to investigate. And there was Dai behind the fence and Jake in the back yard, again, grazing away. So hubby grabbed his halter and lead rope and led him back in. He thought it was hysterical how Dai 'told' on Jake.

Then another dark, foggy morning, just 2 months back, I walked out to the barn and only saw Dai in their regular spot. I heard movement behind me and then hooves on asphalt and there was Jake standing there looking at me like...where is my breakfast! The funny thing is, he's 17', 1600lbs and only the top rail of the split rail fence was broken in half. So how he got over the 2 and a half foot bottom portion without breaking it, I don't know. I'm not sure he can lift his feet that high!

Suffice it to say, that fence is now very very secure!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.