The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You could use a bandana or paper towels rolled up under the lip to make it tighter. I hardly ever wear mine anymore because it just doesn't for right. I have a small head so I use those little tricks often.

Reactions: Barrelracer88

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I wear a helmet when I ride. Never have to worry about it falling off. ;-)

However, I did the rodeo queen stuff for a quite a few years and learned lots of tricks for keeping your hat on.

Some people will say to spray hairspray on your forehead and then put your hat on. It will work really well but...... if you treasure your hat at all, don't do that because the hairspray WILL ruin your hat over time. I had expensive hats ($400+ each) so I did not dare use hairspray to get my hat to stay on.

First thing is to make sure your hat fits your head well, and fits the shape well.

I had great success using bobby pins. I would smush the ends of the bobby pins so they are not like this:

But are more like this:

And then shove the bobby pin into my hat band, grabbing some of my hair with it. Worked like a charm.

If there was little wind outside, usually I could get away with 1 bobby pin in front of each ear, and 1 bobby pin behind each ear.

If there was a TON of wind, sometimes I'd put well over 10 bobby pins on my hat.

Be careful where you place them, because you WILL grab your scalp. Granted, this hurts BUT your hat will not move.

Reactions: Corporal

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I take Pantene Freeze Hold spray can hairspray all along the brim. It WILL NOT come off if you do it right, kinda force it on and give it a few seconds to dry. I have yet to loose my hat, it's not annoying/painful like bobby pins, and stampede strings (for me at least) tend to be an annoyance.

I haven't had an issue with it on any of my hats, really nice felt and straw. They are all fine and have had it done a lot.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I haven't had an issue with it on any of my hats, really nice felt and straw. They are all fine and have had it done a lot.
I guess I should have clarified. I was not talking about felt or straw hats in terms of "expensive" hats and hairspray.

If you have a nice 20x beaver fur hat like I do, you don't put hair spray on that. :wink: It will ruin the fur pelt.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As long as you use an unscented hair spray, it won't ruin the felt...I have used it on my felt hats for decades (on the outsied) so the felt will hold it's shape...still black as they were when I bought them 10+ years ago(well, after I clean them...). I learned that trick while being an Army Drill SGT...how do you think we keep those Smokey the Bear hats looking so good??

·
Registered
48 Posts
I second the helmet.

I ALWAYS wear one. But I am an old fart who doesn't have young bones and have those who depend on me to be able to work even if I fall.

But that isn't what you asked.

I say if you are not wearing a helmet, I wouldn't bother with the hat. I would put my hair back to keep out of my eyes (an 'nother safty thing for me) and be done.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
My favorite hat when I did CW Reenacting was a tan Stetson we found for $5 at a garage sale! We did plenty of racing around the field and the way mine stayed on was to tightly knot the hat string under my chin. It ran through the hat and around. If I didn't, my hat would always fly back and ruin my image (female masquerading as a male soldier.)
UNfortunately I was Union, and often forced to wear a blue kepi or black slouch hat and they never fit as well as that Stetson. Still have it, still wear it for pleasure riding.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
As long as you use an unscented hair spray, it won't ruin the felt...I have used it on my felt hats for decades (on the outsied) so the felt will hold it's shape...still black as they were when I bought them 10+ years ago(well, after I clean them...).
Again, you are talking about FELT ... not high quality beaver fur.

Apples to oranges.

Beaver fur holds its shape on its own, and can easily be reblocked and reshaped. Felt doesn't work as well in those aspects. Hence why there is a difference in how hairspray affects beaver fur versus felt.

I say if you are not wearing a helmet, I wouldn't bother with the hat.
Some associations have rules that require a hat be worn while you are competing, so it may not be feasible for the OP to just "not wear one".

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know how you feel about it but I cut the inside leather flap of my hat. I did about an inch and a half. Then I pull it out after I put the hat on. I have a beaver pelt one too. I hate riding in it so much. But the cut flap I think makes it a little tighter so it stays on. I know you already bought your hat but I advise getting one that is pretty tight on you head if you want to game in it. Mine will give me a head ache after a while so I just do the run and rip it off. Also if you hat has the leather strip like mine you could put hair spray on just that part. Maybe use a tissue?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
If you are showing in a class like the queen competition or something, I can understand the need for bobby pins and/or hairspray as a method to keep the hat on.

But, for just regular riding or if you are running barrels, I'd personally just go with a stampede string. Easy to use, no excess work to put your hat on or take it off, and some of them look pretty darn eye-catching.

Because I ride in the Texas panhandle, which is a pretty prominent wind zone, I have stampede strings on all my hats. If I didn't, I'd spend more time chasing them than I would riding LOL.

If you do go that route though, I strongly suggest that you stay away from the strings with the pins on the ends like this

And go for one with loops instead. They work a whole lot better and if things get really hairy, you don't have to worry about the string ripping free at the wrong moment LOL.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Personally, I prefer the pins on a stampede string.....as they will come loose rather than choke you to death should it get caught up in something....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.