The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at trailers recently, looking for a two horse, bumper pull, straight load with a dressing room. Almost all of the trailers I looked at claimed to have "removable dividers so you can trailer as a box stall". So I was just wondering if people actually did that, like trailers the horses with no dividers? If you did, you wouldn't tie right? Is that safer, not safe at all, same safe as with dividers?

I'm just kinda curious
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It's just like hauling in a stock trailer. It's perfectly safe. Actually, most professional horse haulers haul with the horses in a 'box stall.' I like it, it gives Clem the leeway to balance herself and correct for bumps and turns.

As for tying, it depends on the person. I don't tie, just because I worry about the trailer flipping and their heads being tied up. Some people like to tie.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I did it. My horse absolutely loved it. I would load him loose and he would turn around and ride backwards. Guess he felt more balanced that way.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I only put the divider in my trailer when hauling two horses. My mare used to always turn around, as it does give them more security for braking, but the last time I hauled her she didn't. I guess she just doesn't care anymore. She does prefer to turn around when I leave a back section open.

I never tie. I agree with Shoebox thinking of the what-ifs. I leave a halter on though so someone else could catch her if need be.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Exactly. That's what a stock trailer is = a box stall.

Some people tie; some don't. It's personal preferance.

Whenever I haul in a stock trailer, I prefer to leave them loose so they can stand however is comfortable. Most horses prefer to ride backwards, actually.

Have even hauled 2 or 3 horses together in one "stall" of a stock trailer and have never had a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.