The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Got on a horse and just "clicked"? Like you fit perfectly together, unexpectedly?

This type of thread is a little out of character for me, but lately a mare has me wondering. I have ridden dozens and dozens of horses, and owned well over a dozen personally, of all shapes, sizes, breeds and ages. I really like the vast majority of horses, and feel that I 'click' with a few. My current arab mare that is my main saddle horse was NOT love at first site, at all, but I sort of slowly fell for her, and now I don't think I'll ever sell her. My 3 year old chose me at 10 months old, I thought she was hideous, but I've grown to love her.

anyways, more to the point of my story, the mare. I will start by saying that I AM NOT a quarter horse person. I started riding on drafts, fell in love with English riding, then moved on to endurance. I have been bitten, kicked, bucked off and generally abused by more quarter horses than anything else.

I was at an auction this spring with my BO, who was looking for a project for the summer that was, ideally, a potential kids horse. well this little bay mare walked into the ring(or should I say jigged in) and they started to auction her off. she was in a long shanked bit, which she clearly hated, and she raced nervously around the ring, head in the air, fighting her rider the whole way. But I liked how she was built, and something about her made me think she wasn't as bad as she appeared in the ring. I nudged my BO, who ended up buying her for a reasonable price. The first thing she said was "what have you gotten me into??".
It quickly became apparent that she must have been owned by a rider that didn't have the skill to work with her, and she scared them. she was also used to running everywhere, had a fairly tough mouth, and believed leg pressure of any sort meant "RUN!!!". She acted like she had never been outside an arena, and had been blanketed all winter. She had no idea how to interact with a herd of other horses. She is 6 years old.
I got on her for the first time, and felt 100% comfortable, instantly. Typically I have to work through a bit of nervousness with her type of horse(a lot of bad memories of being bucked off, reared on, etc), but not with her. I started having a bad day, and spent the whole ride grinning ear to ear. I felt fantastic. Turns out this mare has a work ethic like nothing you've ever seen. begs to be worked, desperately wants a job. You can work her, HARD, for hours, till she's dripping in sweat, and she'll still beg for more. She'll stand at the gait after you've turned her out, asking to come back in.

Its ok if I don't ride her at all. Then I forget what it feels like. But every time I get on this horse, I have a fantastic ride. She is crazy athletic, and will always be 'experienced rider only' type of horse. Most of the boarders on the farm are intimidated by her. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels like she is a horse version of my own personality. We understand each other perfectly, and enjoy each others company. I have all the horses I need, and I don't particularly want to sell any. I had avoided riding her for months, thinking I would forget, but the BO saddled a horse for me last night, and the horse she picked was of course, this mare. And I had an amazing ride. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
That happened to me twice. From the day I first took a lesson on my mare everything felt right. She had a bad habit of not picking up the right leads and as a child on their third lesson she picked them up perfectly for me. I've never gotten on her and felt out of place and (as cheesy as it sounds) her body is like an extension of mine.

The second time was with a horse like your describing. Flighty, nervous, sweet as pie and a terrific work ethic, but under saddle was (and is) a ticking time bomb; basically everything I detest in a horse that I'm riding. I hopped on him though and it was like with my mare. I've never been on a horse since him that would literally rip his heart out and give it to you if you asked. Though he's still flighty I know in the first minuet what horse I'm getting and he's like an open book for me. I ask he does, no if ands or buts.

It's always great when you find that connection even if it is with a horse that's temporarily in your life.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Good for you! :) It's not very often that those type of horses come along.

To answer your question, yes. Used to work with an old, fat QH (basic handling, leading him during hippotherapy lessons, etc.) that, from the ground, didn't seem like much. Just a grumpy, slow old guy.
One day somebody asked me to exercise him, and we just clicked. Very unexpectedly. Like, incredible work ethic, try to jump over trot poles, got very excited to canter.
We had to put him down last Monday. However, I'm so grateful for the time I got to spend with him and the lessons I learned from him. He was truly a diamond in the rough.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its so tempting to buy her, but I would have to sell Pickles to do it. It just seems...rare, to find a horse you just click with instantly. Thanks for the other experiences.:D

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
yes, it has happened.

Even more weird...when I was 14, I looked across a friends field and this POA gelding was staring at me. Our eyes locked, and the rest was history. He was mine from that moment on. His previous owner talked with his mother that night and said 'Dakota isnt my horse anymore' and this is coming from someone that was never going to sell him...

I have yet to feel that connection with another horse. My mare Rumor is probably the closest Ive had since Dakota. And that is mainly because of the horrific injury/illness she had that took 9 months to treat and heal.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I hadn't even trial-ridden the horse. The guy was walking him off the trailer, I looked into that horse's eyes and knew he was coming home with me. I didn't care if he was the rankest horse east of the Mississippi, he was coming home with me.

He almost didn't come home with me. I offered the guy full price for the horse, which was double the going price for a good gaited horse in my area in 1990. I went to shake hands and the guy pulled his hand back, trying to back out of the deal.

The owner's riding buddy was a guy I'd gone to school with, so he forced the guy to honor the deal.

That argument ensued over the horse in my avatar when he was a coming three year old. He was 16 in the avatar pic and just turned 26 in October.

Wowzer, what I would have missed out on if my school chum/riding friend hadn't been there.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I had that happen in March with Gavyn. I saw a beautiful bay with a white face on top of the hill. We locked eyes and he actually came down the hill to greet us when we got in the fence. I hopped on him (That is the only horse out of the 40 I could have tried that day) And well the rest is history!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, It has happened once before. I was riding lots of horses for my BO when she bought a thoroughbred mare that had done some jumping. I liked the mare, and ended up doing some compeditive trail on her. Found out she was in foal to a hanovarian stallion. I told her I would buy the foal, and she laughed at me. I was a teenager. I was the one to find him the day he was born, and I made an offer right there. I fell in love with him the moment I saw him, instant connection, had to have him. He was perfect to the day he died, at 1.5 years old, of a pelvic fracture that was the result of a freak accident. I spent the next nearly 10 years, buying, training and reselling horses, looking for the same feeling I had with him, and not finding it. I finally came to the conclusion that I wouldn't find it again, and ended up finding the two I have, and I love them dearly.

This mare is the closest I have ever come to the feeling I had with that colt.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My childhood pony and I had that click. My parents had bought Cherokee as a gift for my older sister- who is 15 years older than I. I wasnt born at the time they bought him. He was your typical stereotypical pony, stubborn, bull headed and had a mind of his own. He dumped my sister a few times and then that was it for her. And Cherokee became a pasture pony... When I was a year old my mom put me out in the yard on a blanket to take pictures, they left me for only a couple seconds to run and get something from the house but when they came out they had found that i was not there but had crawled into cherokee's pasture and was clinging to his legs. Cherokee had stood so still and was gentle with me as an infant. From then on I was always asking someone to take me out to ride cherokee. And I will never forget the day I got my first saddle! I ran on cherokee, round and round the yard. I grew up on his back basically, I learned to make him mind and in his older years we went to the local 4h shows and totally kicked butt. He got me through my dark days when I actually was afraid to ride horses- but I never was afraid of him. He has been my best friend and teacher all my life and I am happy to say I still have him today. He turned 30 this year (im 22) and I feel so blessed for every moment I've had with him. Every day when I go out I call him and he greets me with a whinny. Most of my horses I have a connection to but this one between myself and Cherokee, is the strongest bond I've ever experienced. I dont know if I will ever have one this strong again but Im thankful that I've had this.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I've had it happen. But I don't think it's a mystical click so much as you just ride a horse and you're in sync.

When I was 12 I had outgrown my first pony and was looking for a showjumper. We saw an add in the paper and went to see this horse, an 11 year old TB. He had points in jumping and decent dressage, and I got on him and it all just worked. The owner hadn't thought he would be suitable for me, but he did what I wanted, we popped over a few jumps, everything.

I had him for a few years. We'd always do well in competition, we did a fair bit of pony club and we'd always place in the jumping, ridden classes and barrel racing. Often dressage too. On the ground was a different matter though, we were not "friends". We weren't close or bonded and often we'd have blow ups at each other.

So yeah.. sometimes it all just works, but I don't know why.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yep, I have :)
His name was Eiger, and he always had this anxiety that made him loose weight. Everyone insisted he was vicious and mean, but I went in and brushed him every night and he was a saint! He never threatened to kick, bite, etc. He use to put his head in my arms all the time :)

Unfortunatley, seeing as he wasn't actually mine, he was sold. I haven't really had any other "connections", none like this. But I guess every one is different!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had this happen recently actually. My boyfriend just moved about 2 months ago and when he did we went to get his horses. I had never seen his horses before but he had told me there was one he was fixin to sell. While he was loading them up he hands me Dallas. Instantly I knew I wanted this horse. There was a vibe i caught coming off of her that i just fell in love with. Come to find out this is the one he wanted to sell. I begged and begged him til I was blue in the face not to see her and i succeeded. Granted Dallas has a few issues or he wouldn't have wanted to sell her. But the first time I got on her he told me she had never responded or listened to him like that before. And now he believes we will make a great team.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It happened to me. I was looking for a totally broke, bombproof gelding for trail riding. I hadn't been on a horse in 40 years, and wanted something that I had a good chance of riding without getting dumped all the time. Also, I hadnever liked palominos, but as I was looking at the ads, all of a sudden I had to have one. I kept being drawn to an adfor a two year old filly, which was exactly what I didn't want - my horse trainingdays were way behind me. Anyway, I went to see her, and the second our eyes met, I knew she was mine. I didn't ride her or see anyone else ride her, I didn' t have a vet check, nothing. She was delivered to my daughter's farm an hour and a half after I first saw her. I was lucky - she is perfect. She is calm, well behaved and willing. She is totally bombproof - we have had deer and turkeys jump out right infront of us and she does't even spook. I have a medical condition that makes me unstable, and I have fallen on her front feet while leading her,and all that happens is I bet nuzzled. She is a rock - I love her to death. I don't have much strength in my hands, and she actually lifts her feet and holds the up for me to clean. She stands quietly while I wrestle the saddle onto her back, and doesn't move when I sometimes struggle to mount. I know she is young and at some point I may fall off, but I have so much faith in her that I know she,d never dump me on purpose. I truly believe something led me to her.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just once. I've always been fortunate to have great horses that I love dearly. I trust my mare enough to ride her bareback and bridle-less -not to mention I've had her for nearly 9 years now and she was my first real horse. My mom's gelding and I click, but (again) he's my mom's horse. I rode him while she was pregnant, but now I'm back with my mare again (not that I mind -she's more like me than any of the other ones, which I guess could be a really good or really bad thing.. :lol:). I used to ride my aunt's mare like a crazy woman and she was perfect for me. I look back now and can see that was because of the countless hours I spent on her back demanding her respect.

One summer I went to visit my dad and ended up working at a horse rescue for a family friend. They got an Appaloosa mare in that literally was the rankest horse I've EVER heard of. She crushed the hood of a car on her way in and then proceeded to kick and/or bite everyone who got within range. When she was in her stall, she'd weave back and forth until you let her out. Of course, she was the dominant mare so we had to be careful who we let her out with or else she'd come in the next day with an attitude the size of Mars. I intended to work with her and get her to the point where you at least didn't have to worry about moving her from her stall, to the pasture and back. The moment we saw each other, for lack of better words, we clicked. I'm talking the biting, kicking, everything stopped -well with me anyway. She still needed work though, so I started groundwork with her and got her very respectful on the ground. Just before I was going to ride her for the first time I was sent back home for school to start. I've never seen her again but I will never forget the way she'd stand there with her head in my arms or the way she'd follow me down the fence line. She had an outstanding work ethic and really just wanted to be the center of your attention. I've never met another horse like her and I doubt I ever will.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The day my heart horse was born was that moment for me. Throughout my mare's pregnancy I talked to her pretty much every day. I was so nervous. This was my baby girl's first baby. I had seen MANY babies born, including my broodmare, but never had I felt like that.

When she had him, it took her a while to recoup. He was this tiny plain chestnut baby and he was up before her. As he was wobbling around, I scooted over to him. When I said "Hi, baby." He jerked his head towards me and he was mine. It was instant recognition. There was NO baby fear or uncertainty in him. Just immediate "I know you." He came to me, let me touch him, let me be with him. My mom was sitting right there and has been working with broodmare a longer than I have been alive. She had never seen anything like that.

He was truly the best horse I have ever met. He was only three when he died. Muh of my heart and soul died with him. We had so much fun in those three years. I miss him every day.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 15 of 15 Posts