The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I joined to ask a question that's starting to concern me. I have a boarding barn, and recently have been contacted by a cell company requesting to lease a portion of my land for a cell tower.
My question is, do cell towers pose any health risks to horses?
Also, my neighbor has cattle, and I've heard that cell towers pose major health risks to livestock. Is this correct?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Yes agreed! There was a movie made years ago with Julia Roberts (true story) about a town that was effected by it. Everyone was dying or sick. It was called, Erin Brockovich.

Edit: I was wrong about the movie, oopsie, Sorry!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Erin Brockovich was about contaminated groundwater. Not cell towers.

But Id agree that Id be concerned having it around my horses and myself all the time. Humans have more to worry about IMO because our lifespans are much greater than the average horse. You can google and get conflicting reports, but Erring on the side of caution is always my motto.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Oh my bad!! But didn't it have something to do with power companies?? Now I am embarrassed. Thanks for clearing that up.:oops:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
yeah it did. Something about a chemical used to keep corrosion out of some tank or something that was getting into the groundwater and making ppl sick.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You all are joking right?

The Myth of Cellular Tower Health Hazards | News | Wireless Week
Cellular Phone Towers

Towers are ugly as sin at times, but safe. The Erin Brokovitch case centered around chemical contamination of groundwater, nothing to do will cells towers, and even then, there was never actually an increase in the cancer rate in the town compared to the average, despite the company settling and the dramatization in the movie. "Based on a true story" does not mean "IS a true story."

ETA: Oops! I see you all settled that before my post was finished, sorry! I'd like to see the evidence that towers are a risk to all life, especially if it's so cut and dried.

·
Registered
566 Posts
So since there is the possibility of having a car accident and dying you won't drive anymore?

And yes the movie/story was about groundwater contamination, not power.

Just curious if the OP has a cell phone? I mean I am all for livestock, but we aren't going to worry about humans? cause there sure are a lot of those fugly things sitting right next to homes. But if I owned property and they wanted to put one up I would say yes in a heartbeat. They pay rent in our area, around $800 a month and that would certainly offset any boarders I would lose.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Of course wirelessweek.com is going to say its completely safe lol. JUSt as other sites will say its potentially dangerous. Cell Tower Health Risks

I dont think we have enough long term data yet to really say for sure its ok and will remain ok no mater how much is traveling through the air all the time. IMO, high levels are probably not good for living things to be exposed to long term.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Of course wirelessweek.com is going to say its completely safe lol. JUSt as other sites will say its potentially dangerous. Cell Tower Health Risks
Agreed, just as a site devoted to monitoring and reducing the 'dangers of EM radiation' will post what furthers their cause. But I wouldn't think cancer.org would be terribly biased? I still think getting a sunburn is more likely to cause cancer than a microwave or cell tower.

If someone is seriously concerned, they also need to be seriously concerned about every wifi network and using cell phones period. One of the studies you linked pointed out that in order to measure the levels from the towers, users would have to shut down all their own devices. I'm all for everyone making decisions they can live with. I just get confused when people don't apply beliefs consistently.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That was exactly my point. Its probably somewhere in the middle. High levels are likely not good over long term exposure such as living under high power lines etc. EMF is already proven and accepted to cause physical problems. Also, Its only going to get worse over time. Gadgets arent going anywhere.

Would I knowingly put myself or critters near something like that? Nope. Would I allow it on an outer edge of a big area? Maybe. It depends. But its still something we should keep in mind. We poisen our air land and water in many ways. How much can we get away with bombarding our bodies with and not suffer some sort of consequences someday realistically? It makes sense to avoid as many risk factors as possible IMO.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
You probably need to worry more about your cell phone an inch from your brain than an 100+ foot cell tower in a field.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
405 Posts
Everything causes cancer and people become unnecessarily paranoid because they believe anything they read on the internet. Just for example" the Erin Brockovich" thing. Before the OP realized that their post was in error. Someone read it and RAN WITH IT!!!!!!!! If you don't want your horse near a cell tower then don't put them there. They will be just as likely to perish from acid rain, parasites, ground water contamination, lightning strikes, eating a toxic substance, malaria, lyme disease, hypothermia, or just good old age. It's a dangerous world we live in.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I would think those neighbor cattle have alot more to fear from Outback steakhouse, than a cell tower.
My concern would be the aesthetics, but trust me if they asked you then they have picked out the best location. If you say no, it will end up right next door on said cow pasture. As that guy is gonna say heck ya ! now you get the health issues real or imagined, the ugly scenery and NO money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well if you want your land and house to go down in value several tens of thousands of dollars when you go to sell if because of a cell phone tower, and potentially have your health go down, and maybe even some ****y neighbors that will bring their house value down too, then sure go for it...lol

But if your neighbors are going to accept the cell tower if they had the chance, then u might as well do it lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts