The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering changing good coastal hay to a good coastal/bluestem mix hay. I have a 10 month old and an 11 yr old that both get safe choice grain and free choice coastal. They look great , but are going through hay like crazy and I thought if I get this mix I could save a little money and slow them down. My concern is that I have heard of horses getting "hay bellies" from lower nutritional forage. Has anyone experienced the hay belly from bluestem hay? Im taking a sample of the hay to the Texas Dept of Agriculture to get a nutrition count on it tomorrow, so Im sure Ill get some good info. Thanks for any experiences with a "hay belly"!:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im considering changing good coastal hay to a good coastal/bluestem mix hay. I have a 10 month old and an 11 yr old that both get safe choice grain and free choice coastal. They look great , but are going through hay like crazy and I thought if I get this mix I could save a little money and slow them down. My concern is that I have heard of horses getting "hay bellies" from lower nutritional forage. Has anyone experienced the hay belly from bluestem hay? Im taking a sample of the hay to the Texas Dept of Agriculture to get a nutrition count on it tomorrow, so Im sure Ill get some good info. Thanks for any experiences with a "hay belly"!:p
hay bellies usually occur when a horse is given too much food and not enough exercise. so as long as the horse gets enough exercise and good regulation of food, the hay belly will go away. i give my horses alfalfa pellets twice a day with the occasional alfalfa hay and bermuda (half a flake to a flake depending) once or tice a day. though my horses are taken out everyday with 2 hours of social and a good soild hour of running plus any work they do

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have two horses the same ages. My little guy has a belly, its harder to work it off a young horse without over working him. We're checking to make sure its not worms right now. They live outside 24/7 and I dont see them play too much in the winter, and I dont ride the 11 year old because shes not 100% sound. I feed good quality alf. pellets and beet pulp with some 12%. My mare gets about what the little guy gets and I dont notice a belly on her at all, just the little guy. Its very simmilar to getting a man getting a pot belly. Just make sure they still get the nutrients they need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two horses the same ages. My little guy has a belly, its harder to work it off a young horse without over working him. We're checking to make sure its not worms right now. They live outside 24/7 and I dont see them play too much in the winter, and I dont ride the 11 year old because shes not 100% sound. I feed good quality alf. pellets and beet pulp with some 12%. My mare gets about what the little guy gets and I dont notice a belly on her at all, just the little guy. Its very simmilar to getting a man getting a pot belly. Just make sure they still get the nutrients they need.
sounds like he's getting too much of one thing and not enough of another

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hay bellies are not like a man with a beer gut! Hay bellies are not an overweight horse with fat rolls! Hay bellies are a distension of the entire digestive system on an animal such that the animal gets an enlarged belly. Usually there is not good muscle tone or a good fat layer on the topline. Hay bellies come from large amounts of poor quality forage! A horse eating too much will get fat and will devolope a belly, but this is not a "hay belly". Extreme hay bellies will also be accompanied by a poor hair coat.

·
Super Moderator
13,884 Posts
Is anybody available to give advice on this topic? I know im a few years late but cant seem to find a way to post a new thread
Hi Emma and WELCOME to the forum....

So...go back to the opening page of the Horse Health section...
When you look at that page it will break down then to hoof care, horse nutrition and then underneath, if you look closely you will see a black button " > Post New Thread "
Click that and you should have a empty page appear.
On it will be several boxes...
Fill them in as asked...
Make a thread title... Help with Hay Belly or something like that...
Then in the large topic box ask your questions.
Try to give as much background information as possible.
Age of the horse, sex of horse, breed of horse...activity level of horse, currently what horse eats and type and amount of exercise the horse currently is doing.
You should get many responses from posters who can relate to your issue and offer what worked for them.
Hope that helps some...

Again, WELCOME to horseforum.

:runninghorse2:.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.