The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought someone said that hay pellets have to be analyzed when packaged, but I cannot find any information about any pellets besides CP, Fat, and Fiber. I am looking for macros, micros, vitamins, etc... Are those available or do I have to call the company or something?

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
Hay pellets are just that...hay.
They don't often have fat, vitamins or anything added to them.
They are moistened then formed dried hay/grass...that's it.

Standlee and Dumor carried at Tractor Supply have labeled P/F/F numbers if you look for them...
Except for "ash & moisture" there is noting else seen on the labels as they are pure in what they are, not fortified.
:runninghorse2:...

Reactions: LoriF

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not say that they were fortified...

They must contain *some* kinds of minerals/vitamins, like normal hay, right? Otherwise, why test hay (bales) or grass?

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
You do realize that when they do "a run" or process in the plant they probably are doing 1000 acres or more of hay...
That is a lot of land to analyze for this vitamin or that mineral content.
I would imagine in this they do 10's of thousands of bags of pellets that ship across the country.
They do own their own growing fields from where their product often comes from or are selective in what farmers they contract with for more product.

You can certainly contact Standlee and ask about analysis but how accurate it is per bag...yea, no. :|

Most who do a hay analysis are doing it on a smaller acreage being harvested as hay, or hay they just bought and stacked in their barn..pulling a handful of stems and sent out....
Hay growers who know their craft and are true haymen do a ground analysis on a field they harvest...but those bales of hay stay local not often shipped across the nation or continent to sell...
Those that sell those huge distances do very often a soil sample and then a hay test on finished product but again, you are not referring to tens of thousands of acres of product being milled into pellets.
Honestly, I don't think you can fairly test with the size of the run raw product.
I can not imagine the railroad cars, the tractor trailer loads that arrive with product to the mill calling for a run to be made of pellets.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
I would write to the company and ask. While they may not be able to guarantee that a specific bag has exact numbers of minerals, etc., they may have more information that what's on the bag. If not, then they'll just say they don't know. You could see if a company like Equi-analytical would do an analysis. They analyze my hay for about 30$. It would be interesting to have samples analyzed from different bags.

I'm assuming you're looking for things like iron/zinc/copper/manganese ratios?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts