The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to hear what you all are paying for hay.

Really want to know about the ton, but all sizes are ok.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
i feed orchard grass/alfalfa mix and we're currently getting them fro $12.50/bale which comes out to ~$200/ton. straight alfalfa is less (~$150/ton) and straight grass is more (~$230/ton).

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
i feed orchard grass/alfalfa mix and we're currently getting them fro $12.50/bale which comes out to ~$200/ton. straight alfalfa is less (~$150/ton) and straight grass is more (~$230/ton).
That's very interesting. When I checked prices in different places alfalfa was always more expensive than timothy and orchard, and just grass/mix was the cheapest one.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
for whatever reason alfalfa is the cheapest stuff to get anywhere around here. a good grass hay is harder to find = more expensive.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
We feed orchard/fescue round bales ($60) which works out to about $160/ton.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Around here, one sixty pound bale of alfalfa is 6.00$ and one sixty pound bale of grass hay is 6.50$.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Straight grass hay is usually 10-12.50 per bale but most of them are 120 lbs+

Alfalfa is about 10-11 a bale.

Right now I have clover hay and we pay $5 per bale which ways 60 lbs..MAYBE 70 lbs.I believe it is 31-32 bales a ton or a little under. We usually get 20 max at a time but we are going to switch to straight grass hay which is $12 a bale and that weighs around 120 + lbs so in the long run we will be saving money.

·
Registered
956 Posts
A good quality bale of alfalfa, orchard or a mix is about $6.50 (the bales are ~ 80lbs)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Hay is usually around $2.75 (for the ok stuff) and $4 (for the really good stuff) and round bales go from $25 to $45 a bale. With $45 being a barn kept good mix alfalfa and orchard grass.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know I'm in NS but I pay $2 for a good grass hay 50 pound bales so $80 a ton, I have to pull it from the fields though. $3 from the barn. $30 to $45 for a large 5' across round bale. But for anything else you can expect upwards of $6 a small bale and $60 to $80 a large round (these would be alfalfa, but I find it grass is just as good as far is Mooney worried).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts