The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
Those prices are nuts. Cost has gone up just slightly here from 4.50 to 5$ a square bale last year to 6$ this year. These bales are about 60 lbs.

The biggest problem here is that it has been raining too much to cut so we will likely have somewhat overmature hay again. Hoping we get a break soon and fields can be cut in the next week or two which would still be within a reasonable window for our climate. We don't have a choice of hay, and alfalfa doesn't grow well here, so this is predominantly timothy hay that is seeded, limed and fertilized. We pick it up in the field so the supplier has minimal handling and no storage costs. It means having to be on the ready to go get it the minute we get the call (we get a day's notice) but it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
@Zimalia22 I don’t think most people would blame the growers. If anything we are mostly commiserating and hoping you guys stay in business. At least I am.

Locally most small time farmers had to get their cows processed for meat and stopped keeping them because it was costing them more to keep them than what they could sell them/the produce for. It’s only big corporate farms that are still in business. I think that has happened a long time ago in the western countries but over here a lot of people were keeping 10 or 15 head of cattle on their family farm up until two years ago. Not any more, unfortunately.
That's very sad. And one more reason I no longer eat meat unless I know the farmer (also, my husband is a hunter so we mostly eat wild game). Really not interested in eating meat from those big corporate farms. Since my daughter is vegan, I mostly eat what she eats with the odd bit of wild meat or locally-produced meat here and there. I don't really miss it, having been a vegetarian most of my life until I had kids.

I made it clear to my hay supplier that I have no problem with his price. I know it doesn't seem like a lot to some of you, but I'm sure he'll be hearing complaints. Every year he says it may be his last cutting hay.

I've said this over and over again: we have such low hay prices here that no one wants to grow it anymore because it doesn't pay like other crops. As a result, it's really hard to find good quality hay. Few people feel it's worth investing in seeding, liming and fertilizing hay fields. So instead, there are farmers who drive around cutting random fields of weeds. It's awful. I had hay one year that had a ton of goldenrod and raspberry canes in it! Big sticks! I get that you'll get the odd unwanted weed, but this hay was junk. Glad I found a couple of farmers who still invest in hay, but not sure how long they'll keep doing it if we can't pay them a good price.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts