The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what hay prices are in other areas. It is up there in SJV So CA. 17.50 for oat hay , 23 for alfalfa hay . I did not price the grass hay. Hay this year is double of what I paid last year.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have empty fields, or they have been turned into orchards. Cheaper to water young trees. With cut back water not many hay fields. i did forget to put the bale size they are 100 lb - 110 on the bales.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The guy I am getting hay from , goes and bids, picks it up and brings it here. He clears .75 cents a bale. I did not bid on any field this year. I have not been out looking, hubby said all the fields look weedy, and a lot of the farmers did not plant alfalfa this year. The hay I am to have delivered on Saturday, may have gotten a light rain today. I sure hope it was not heavy . We have had thunder lightening and rain the last couple of days.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We are just now baling first cutting. Price of twine has nearly doubled. We all know what the price of diesel has done. Don't blame the grower! We're at the mercy of prices too! And heaven forbid if something breaks down! IF you can get the part, you pay thru the nose for it!
Got my hay today. Hubby talked to the driver, whom stated he is working for the hay company because of the cost of fuel and insurance on his squeeze truck is about a grand a month now. It is just outrageous. The water shortage i snot helping either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts