The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,608 Posts
We are just now baling first cutting. Price of twine has nearly doubled. We all know what the price of diesel has done. Don't blame the grower! We're at the mercy of prices too! And heaven forbid if something breaks down! IF you can get the part, you pay thru the nose for it!

·
Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,608 Posts
@Zimalia22 I don’t think most people would blame the growers. If anything we are mostly commiserating and hoping you guys stay in business. At least I am.

Locally most small time farmers had to get their cows processed for meat and stopped keeping them because it was costing them more to keep them than what they could sell them/the produce for. It’s only big corporate farms that are still in business. I think that has happened a long time ago in the western countries but over here a lot of people were keeping 10 or 15 head of cattle on their family farm up until two years ago. Not any more, unfortunately.
We sell mainly to the local cattleman here. We stack it down near our road, and we're done. His guys load it, mark it down, and go feed. It works out well as we only have to handle it once. Thank heavens for bale wagons!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts