The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I cleaned out stalls for this lady who is arthritic and earned 33 bales of hay. Some of it looks a bit sun burned but the inside is green. She has a lot of hay so there were some cobwebs but i picked those off but what i didn't notice was some feces on some of them..I had gloves on and picked that off too(sorry,sounds gross)...my question is what is it's opossome poop(sorry i don't know how to spell that off the top of my head). Is it still okay to feed if I picked it off? I don't know what kind it was..maybe even some other rodent.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Any hay that's been soiled by rodent or oppossum feces needs to be discarded.

Don't take chances on your horse's health.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
We have the same issue and are limited on our hay. We found some poo too and tossed the whole bale. I think whether its possum or coon poo, it can carry the EPM. I could be wrong but we won't chance our horses getting sick.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay,so here is the problem...I picked it off so I don't know which bale is which O.O

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Your fired! kidding! Just becareful with what you use. Thats all. Look up EPM and see what it says. I think your ok throwing the hay but next time becareful. Not much you can do now. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree...I'd be careful. Toss the rest of the poo-ey hay and stick to using the clean hay. Maybe let the lady know that rodents are in her hay storage?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright. I am going to call my vet and ask if EPM is common here in Oregon. I will also call the lady. I just don't want my horse getting really ill.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no it looked like raccoon poop. I know it had berry seeds in it.
I looked up pictures of oppossum poop and there's look way different.
This stuff was really dark in color(although it was dried out it will be darker but you know..i think).

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol,it's okay =P I called the lady and she told me that there is a nest of digger squirrels that go in her barns and thats the poop. SOOOOOO I called a vet and asked them if they carried the virus and they said nope and it's perfectly fine. Just to not directly feed them the feces which is a no brainer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts