The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a hay net for our round bales. What has your experience been with them as far as wastage and slowing their eating down? How do they hold up and what size holes are on yours? This is the one I'm looking at. Thanks!
Texas Haynets - Texas Hay Nets - Home

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I love the slow feed hay nets and got mine through tackwholesale.com because their prices are cheaper and the shipping is fast.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I ordered netting from a sporting goods store and it has held up very well, it definitely slows them down as well, although with the uber cold weather we have been having I have pulled a couple corners out so they can really dig in.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered netting from a sporting goods store and it has held up very well, it definitely slows them down as well, although with the uber cold weather we have been having I have pulled a couple corners out so they can really dig in.
Thanks, I will check into that...what size netting did you buy and how is it fastened around the bale?

I'm in N Texas with mild winters , our TB and Appy are slightly overweight and our senior QH is at an ideal weight. The TB is a non stop eater!!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
It was awhile ago, but I believe it was a 12'x12' square of a heavier duty netting. It's not fastened to the bale, it's actually fastened to the feeder. Works pretty well, especially for me because oftentimes I'm doing this alone.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Make sure you have a large bale holder. The problem with nets, is as the horses eat their way down, you end up with a huge flat pancake, with all the netting corners underneath. Also have lots of loose netting. Getting the netting off is a pain!

And my horses always stand on top of the pancake! Not sure how safe that is!

My new design which I am meaning to have built, is to make a square wood hay holder, and attach the netting to the board on top with zip ties. I have plenty of netting- I use 1 3/4th inch used fish netting from the netshed seller on ebay.

Right now I have 3 small mesh nets, and a large bale net, which I bought for about $50 from thenetshed. It does have a salty smell but not a fishy smell. Be sure to call if you want to buy from her. They have thousands of nets, and you can't tell how thick they are from the pictures. Assuming that seller is still around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.