The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to get an HDR saddle for showing hunt seat equitation and pleasure. I just do open shows, and I am looking for something nice yet affordable. I have had an awful time trying to find what I am looking for, so I am almost ready to throw in the towel and buy a new Advantage. So, if anyone is selling an HDR please PM me or post here!

My first question is what size tree to get my mare. I have talked to the people at my local saddle shop and they suggested a wide tree. She is a bit of an oddball, all I know is that she definitely has mustang in her and possibly some morgan. She is only 14.1 but she wears a 52" English girth. Most people I have talked to suggest a wide tree, but I would like any in put I can get!

Finally, I am stuck between two Advantage saddles, and one says flocked in the description while the other doesn't. I had never considered this before and I would like any opinions about flocking. They also look quite different, so I am wondering which would be more appropriate for hunt. Thanks so much in advance, I will take any help I can get!!!
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Henri de Rivel Advantage Close Contact Saddle (Flocked)
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Henri de Rivel Advantage Close Contact Saddle

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Hmm they are the same price which confuses me even more.

Biggest advice is, get the wool flocked. A lot of HDR's are "memory foam" and while they are great at first they don't keep the shape and usually change the fit of the saddle over time.

I don't really have much advice in terms of what size to get. If you have access to a few different saddles to try on her that would be your best bet. Or do a wither tracing and take it into the tack store.

I have the HDR Fletcher and am head over heels in love with it. I prefer it over the custom fit Schleese I had. I used to have the HDR Advantage CC and I loved it as well. I am a big fan of HDR. They are well made and last. Big advantage to them is they are made by Pessoa, so you know you are getting quality.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Easiest way to judge the width is do a wither template, trace it onto a piece of card then cut that out and take it with you when you go shopping. You can offer it up to the front of any saddles you like to check if the wither angles match the tree point angles.

Then if you buy a flocked saddle you can have it adjusted to your horse's particular back shape, which you can't with foam panels :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.