The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be fun to create a thread based on those awesome but fully crazy stories of silly things our horses did.

It was my first time out in pasture, if you can call 500+ acres, pasture. I was sitting in the back of a pick up truck with a bag full of carrots. It was probably my third or fourth time around horses. I had the bag sitting next to me in the back and would feed whoever came over to me. This white horse, who I never did figure out his name (There were over 100 horses out there) came sneaking over, looked right at me, snatched up the entire bag in his teeth, and took off galloping as fast as he could. You could just see the glee in his eye. The even funnier part is that since there was a hole in the top where I would reach in to take a carrot out, as he is running you can just see carrot after carrot flying out of the bag! So by the time he stopped he had nothing but plastic all to himself! Hahahaha! :rofl:

And the moral is, kids, don't be greedy! :lol::lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
bahahaha!!! thats hilarious! i bet he was like YES! VICTORY! and he stopped and was mad haha. my last gelding. i would yell for him to come get his morning grain. if i didnt have it hed run back to the other side. so being a thoroughbred there was no way in catching him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
975 Posts
My sister had a 16.3 hand 3/4 Percheron 1/4 QH bay gelding who LOVED mares! He had his special girlfriend Foxy, the breeding stock APHA, and then he flirted with all the others (Foxy would get extremely jealous, and go over and kick/bite the other mare). We had just gotten back from a ride and were going to lead the horses into the barn to untack. Miguel (Mugel) got all spooked and was walking along with his neck all arched and snorting, making the mares and fillies stay behind him. Ellie took the opportunity to jump and 'boo'. Miguel jumped and jerked back, then he realized that it was Ellie that spooked him and he got all embarrassed, hung his head and went into the barn no fuss. He kind of hid his face from Foxy while we were untacking. LOL! He was such a show off, and was so funny when he got tricked.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
The thing I cannot get over that my gelding does is, he will stand by the gate for us to come get him, and there are times (not always) he will walk out into the deepest mud and just stand there. I am like REALLY!? Oh Hell no!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I was cleaning an automatic water'er and as always Burt was there to help. From "helpfully" removing my hat, you know so I can see better. To carrying the hammer to a more helpful location like the middle of the pasture. Burt is my go to "helper" horse or more often my "get the ^%$^ away" as I push, shove and slap her away. She never lets my less then positive feedback keep her away for long. So, I am cleaning this water'er and I have this long screw to put the top back on. Burt is monkeying around with another section of the water device so I ignored her. Burt had previously picked the screw up and fooled with it. I took it out of her mouth and sent her firmly away. She had of course returned and I could either get the task done OR spend every 5 minutes chasing her away. So when she returned and was an apparently suitable distance from the area of interest I said "meh, fine be there". This was my first mistake. I learned it was a mistake when I heard this "plunk". I looked around but could not see the long screw. I knew it was missing but I could not figure out where it went. I looked over the device, around the sides, felt every nook and cranny inside, Burt did not have it in her mouth. It was lost. Then I looked down this very long tube that is about 4 inches wide and goes down probably 6 feet into the ground. There was the long screw. I looked over at Burt who looked at me. The expression on her face "hmmm, thats quite a pickle you are in and I have NOOO clue how it got down there". I managed to get the top on the device, and went to the hardware store to find a long screw.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Oh my.. a couple of weeks ago I decided to lunge my 3,5yo Dubai in the outdoor school. The front is flooded but the back is okay.. wasn't going to be a hard work out but it's nice and deep out there so he has to work.

He worked a dream. So, I take his kit off so he can have a mooch. This is the LAZIEST baby you have ever met, so I wasn't expecting the YEEHA that came next. He went crazy.

So, I tried to slow him down. It's pretty wet outside and the back leads on to the hacking routes.. if he broke free, he'd have gone!

He slows down..

Gets to the top...

Comes round.. and wipes out! Legs go completely from under him.

I laughed. And laughed. Then thought oh burger.. my horse! He gets up.. he's dark brown.. on one side.. grey on the other, mouth full of sand, and wanders over to me in a complete daze!

Then he got a nice cold hosing whilst my coach and I laughed ourselves in to the floor xD

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You know how most horses spook at flapping bags and such? Well, one evening this fall I was out with my friend doing the evening feed. I'd just emptied a new 50 lb bag of something into a barrel, and was standing by the feedroom door holding the empty bag, talking to my friend who's mixing feed buckets, when I feel a little tugging on the bag. Turn to look, and there's Ellie with her entire head and neck stuck in the empty bag, calmly trying to lick up the few grains left in it.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Bag: I gave an empty feed bag to my colts to play with. Sharik picked it up, shook it, wouldn't let go, started running, big 100lb feed bag covering his face completely, he kept running, scaring off everybody, except his buddy. His mom was the most rattled of the herd, it took half a day to convince her it was her son, not a crackling, flapping, horse-eating monster....

3 year old OTTB, all excited about his feed coming, started running in circles in his stall, got more and more wound up, smacked chest first, head and neck straight up, in the wall. I open the door, ask him what he thought he was doing, he came over, head lowered, very guilty look on his face and pressed his face against me " sorry mom, that was stupid, don't tell anybody paleeeeeeeeeese"....... had me rolling all day:)

·
Registered
811 Posts
One time, my sister went out to catch this old, placid horse out in a big pasture. He is generally a sweet guy and simple to just grab him from the pasture.
First, it took her a while to find him. She searched up and down the pasture, checking the gates to see if he could've gotten loose. Finally, she found him hiding in one of the shelters (in the corner with his dark bay coat and his dark navy blanket). She thought maybe one of the other horses had chased him in and was holding him hostage (he's pretty low in the pecking order). She snapped on his leadrope and started to lead him out.
All of the sudden, he stopped dead and wouldn't follow her. She, continuing with the idea that the other horses wouldn't let him through, tried everything to get him to move, but he still wouldn't follow. Finally, she was able to get him to come one step toward her.
When she stepped back to let him do it, she stepped into a huge, deep mud puddle! Her leg and boot were soaked up to her knee (she's not even 5ft so the puddle wasn't that deep).
The best part was that Banjo knew the whole time and must've just sighed and decided he had to let my sister learn the hard way!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The horse I rode as a teen was a fantastic arabian mare. We kept her at home with usually another horse and three sheep. The sheep were a white one, a black one and a grey one. The pasture was a dirt pasture and I would set out three piles of hay. One for Shammy (the mare), one for the other horse and one for the sheep. I let Shammy out one morning and she was eating one pile of hay. Something the other horse did did offended her because she decided that she needed their hay NOW. She took off across the pasture. The sheep were crossing the area between the horses. Shammy took no notice or assumed the sheep would move. Well, you know what they say about assumptions. The world slowed down as I watched Shammy run and trip over the biggest, white sheep in a brown pasture. Shammy fell to her knees. The sheep looking totally distressed having been knocked off its rocker and to the side. I can still see its eyes wide with terror in that moment, clearly its only thought was "What the ##$%". The other horse took off. The sheep got up and took solace in its comrades. While Shammy looked at me with the most embarrassed expression I have seen in a very long time. I just about fell over. I did check her and she had no injuries due to her sheep accident. The sheep was less then willing to be approached by any animal at that time and was completely fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
We tied my then long yearling and since we had an empty feed back my SIL decided it'd be good to see how she'd react when she stuck it in the tree next to her. It was quite noisy. We were expecting some spooking so we could work on desensitizing. My little girl looks at the bag, pulls it out of the tree, sticks her head in, finds it doesn't contain food, so she stomps on it. So much for that desensitizing lesson ;)

My old one, he gets full of himself and starts throwing his neck around. One day he is particularly full of himself so he is throwing his neck back and forth and knocks his head on a little tree. We laugh (small thin tree, so no damage to him) and he walks off embarassed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
My herd of 11, tearing around the pasture, Arab boys and TB boss first, Arab girls next, then the Hafi mix, last the warmblood. 2 year old. A tree had fallen, herd runs around it, warmblood arrives, jumps.....front end only, stops, tree under his belly. Turns around, looks at me "now what, mom"....me, already laughing" lift your a** end".......and so he did.......clear round!!!

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Our John donkey, James had escaped from his pen (little houdini) and was having a great time evading us and snooping around. He found a TidyCat litter pail that we re-use to carry different things in, and hoping that there's something yummy in it, he shoved his face completely in for a look. Finding nothing, he snorted and lifted his head to take it out...and realizes that it was stuck. He jumped backwards on his back legs, bucket firmly attached to his head all the way over his eyes, and started hopping like a kangaroo, fell over, and laid flat out for probably a good half minute before carefully standing and following the voices of me and my trainer laughing hysterically, runs into my stomach with the bucket and starts head butting me with it, like 'ha ha, yes I'm a greedy idiot. NOW HELP ME YOU FOOL I'VE GONE BLIND!'

Just this week I had an iced coffee that I was drinking while I was adjusting a new driving harness on my mare. I had set it down by my harness bag. Her suckling mini mule filly was SUPPOSED to be standing tied quietly on the other side of her dam, but while I wasn't watching the filly (Honor) loosened her lead rope enough to edge over to my soda, grab it with her teeth...and guzzle the ENTIRE thing and tossing it shamelessly when she was finished and looking at me, ears at half mast and eyes totally content. I can just imagine her saying 'man, that was a good cup of joe.'

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
China, my first horse, was out in the field on a windy day, with more bad weather coming fast. So the conscientious barn owner went to bring collect all the horses and tuck them into their stalls, but China was absolutely full of herself. She took off running up the hill, laughing all the way, right into a pile of newly fallen trees: big ones!

But she didn't care; she was full of the wild! She jumped a downed tree in front of her, right into the crotch of another. She was stuck fast in a triangle of fallen trees, no way out. The long suffering BO had to get out the chainsaw and cut her out. Fortunately, she stood still for the chainsawing; I think she was feeling rather humiliated.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Our John donkey, James had escaped from his pen (little houdini) and was having a great time evading us and snooping around. He found a TidyCat litter pail that we re-use to carry different things in, and hoping that there's something yummy in it, he shoved his face completely in for a look. Finding nothing, he snorted and lifted his head to take it out...and realizes that it was stuck. He jumped backwards on his back legs, bucket firmly attached to his head all the way over his eyes, and started hopping like a kangaroo, fell over, and laid flat out for probably a good half minute before carefully standing and following the voices of me and my trainer laughing hysterically, runs into my stomach with the bucket and starts head butting me with it, like 'ha ha, yes I'm a greedy idiot. NOW HELP ME YOU FOOL I'VE GONE BLIND!'

Just this week I had an iced coffee that I was drinking while I was adjusting a new driving harness on my mare. I had set it down by my harness bag. Her suckling mini mule filly was SUPPOSED to be standing tied quietly on the other side of her dam, but while I wasn't watching the filly (Honor) loosened her lead rope enough to edge over to my soda, grab it with her teeth...and guzzle the ENTIRE thing and tossing it shamelessly when she was finished and looking at me, ears at half mast and eyes totally content. I can just imagine her saying 'man, that was a good cup of joe.'
That's doping, you know that :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I was mustering cattle once and all of us stopped for lunch. I hitched my horse Cisco to a branch in a tree, made myself a coffee, pulled my sandwich out of my saddlebag, and sat down with my back to the tree to eat it. I had Cisco on my right and my cattle dog, Pepper, on my left, sitting in the shade. I leaned over to my left to reach for my coffee cup and as I did my sandwich got a bit close to my dog’s mouth and he went for a bite so I pulled my sandwich away from the dog. Unfortunately I held the sandwich a little too far out to my right, right under Cisco’s nose and while I was trying to give my dog a clip round the ear the horse ate the whole damned sandwich. And I went hungry.
Cisco would also enjoy walking up to me and grabbing the brim of my hat in his mouth and pull it off my head, he would then either, with a flick of his head, fling it across the paddock, or he would just walk of and stand there with my hat hanging out of his mouth.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Back when I was shopping around for horses, I had just finished a ride on a really sweet mare and the husband, wife and a boarder sat down and offered me water or a beer. It's hot out here in AZ! so I asked for a water, and the husband (a real old-man cowboy type) goes "I always share a beer with my horse after I ride" and laughs. Of course, I laugh, so he gives me a "you don't believe me look?" and goes over to the paddock where his personal horse was, and this horse locks his lips around the bottle and drinks from it! I didn't know that horses could drink from glass bottles, let alone enjoy a cold brewski. ;)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Back when I was shopping around for horses, I had just finished a ride on a really sweet mare and the husband, wife and a boarder sat down and offered me water or a beer. It's hot out here in AZ! so I asked for a water, and the husband (a real old-man cowboy type) goes "I always share a beer with my horse after I ride" and laughs. Of course, I laugh, so he gives me a "you don't believe me look?" and goes over to the paddock where his personal horse was, and this horse locks his lips around the bottle and drinks from it! I didn't know that horses could drink from glass bottles, let alone enjoy a cold brewski. ;)
My cousins horse LOVES beer but only from the bottle and his favorite is Tangerine Wheat beer or any wheat beer for that matter LoL

I discovered this one night when we heard the horses worked up and went to check the commotion. I set my beer on the fence post and climbed between the planks into the pasture. As we were checking over all of the horses I happen to look over and see her horse with my beer between his lips, tipped up, with him guzzling away LoL It was too funny :D He would also steal her cigarettes and eat them too... strange horse LoL
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 40 Posts