The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm absolutely FUMING right now, that's about the best description I can use without using unforum friendly words :evil:.

Mitch has gone through my standard and reel fencing TWICE in the last 4 days. I can only imagine that it is because there is grass on the other side, yet only hay , water and hardfeed on his side.. There is a reason for it though, his gut does not tolerate sugary grass well at all! He is on toxin binders and magnesium and whatnot, but I still monitor his grass intake carefully... Till he does that. How do I stop him?

I have come home again today to find my fence reel snapped, and no marks on my uncovered horse. The fence was electric, and when I am in eyesight he will not touch that fence (so I know he can see it, and knows it's electric), but whenever I leave, he must be either jumping it and not quite making it, or just running straight through it. I'm just confused as to how there are no marks on him at all to show for his efforts.

He is paddocked in one of our empty Bull paddocks, which have higher voltage fencing to hook up to, so I'm not sure what to do next other than to try running a secondary tape behind the first one.

HELP!! It's driving me crazy!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
From experience I'm going to tell you to just double check your fence. Make sure it's not grounded anywhere. Our horses kept going through one spot in the fence and we couldn't figure out why - the wire up by the gate was definitely live. We figured out it was grounded farther down the fence and that's where they had been busting through. Are you sure the whole thing is live?

Other than that all I can suggest ishigher voltage. What kind of fencing is it? Rope, wire, tape? Wire will give him a stronger zap, but you also want to be careful if he keeps breaking out because it'll cause a lot more damage.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
829 Posts
Are you able to put some stock or other animal in the grassed area to get it down? I find that my old horse will jump over/run through hot tape if there is long grass on the other side but he wont bother if it doesn't look like there is much to eat in there.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yip it's definitely live the whole way through.. I got belted several times today trying to fix it again.
I had a rope type reel up, looks like this but one not 3:
http://www.agrisellex.co.uk/media/c...f78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/-/3-reel.jpg
I swapped it out to a fence tape this afternoon, and zig zagged it down the paddock, looks like this:
http://www.patriotglobal.com/sites/default/files/ptt/images/Temporary-Electric-Fencing-Guide-2.jpg
I can always run up it with a volt meter, but I can't hear any faults in the fence anywhere and after several belts along the fence today I'm pretty sure it's still live.

There is a Jersey bull and another horse on the other side eating it down. He never used to do this but apparently it's funny to do it as of lately.

I actually contemplated getting his shoes put back on, as he never did it while he had shoes on, but he doesn't need shoes right now so barefoot he stays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.