The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my mare on full loan now for 7 months and 10 perfect days, the only problem is she has a very high head carridge when I would prefer it collected and nice but not hurting her, do you have any ideas how to collect in in all paces. Walk, trot & canter.
Thank you :D

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Phew that's a loaded question. When you take a look at the "collection pyramid" you will notice that there are a few blocks to work on before you will truly attain collection, firstly starting with getting rhythm down.

The best way to excel in this is to count! Literally, count your horses strides out loud and strive for consistent, not too fast and not too plodding pace.

After that there comes relaxation, suppleness and impulsion.. Things that lead up to full blown collection.

But the real kicker is.. You won't be riding the horse front to back, but rather, back to front. Forget about what her headset is at first because the more she learns to motor through her hindquarters and work through her back and correct parts of her neck, the better the headset will become in turn.

Good luck!

·
Registered
49,777 Posts
there are just oodles of threads here on how to create a headset, or lower a high head, or collect. spend some time perusing them, and you'll come up with some more specific questions or points to clarify.

basically, the very first thing to ensure is the horse's comfort. lack of comfort is the number one cause for any horse to go around with their head in the air.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Where are your hands?

That is usually the main reason for a high headed horse, the rider's hands.

Lower your hands would be something to try.

Horse could also be reacting to pain, and coming up to relieve pressure on spine too.

Saddle could be pinching also.

Video would help us to see what is going on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.