The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the flies started coming out this year my horse began shaking his head which is normal I guess, but he always seemed to do it when I was haltering or unhaltering and leading. Honestly, although I blamed the flies, I also thought that he was putting it on a bit, and was it partly behavioural.

Today I went to check him, I was pretty much just checking on a cut he got the day before in the round yard, and from the moment I entered the paddock he seemed agitated and kept tossing his head. I went to catch him and he turned his bum to me, so I sent him off, and after half a lap of the paddock he allowed me to approach, but he continued tossing his head up and down. I tried putting his fly mask on, thinking the flies must be really bothering him, but it didn't stop his tossing, and there were hardly any flies anyway.

I've heard of head shaking syndrome, but knew nothing about it, so I've just done a bit of research and scared myself. Obviously I need a vet to check him out and diagnose, I guess I'm more after other explanations as to why he might have been tossing his head so much. I've never seen him do it so much and so constantly, and it was violent enough that I was a bit worried he was going to whack me with his head plus was distressing for me to watch.

I'm sort of worried, I really hope its nothing, but if anyone has any thoughts about it, I would appreciate it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.