The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone has a similar experience. Our older gelding, who will be 28yrs old in a few months, has been showing some very worrying signs. Had the vet out, with nothing conclusive as far as the cause.
The issues are ataxia, unsteady gait, frequent stumbling and the biggest problem, is head throwing that seems uncontrollable and gets worse with any kind of stress. I don’t know how to post a video here. So if you have suggestions I’d love to hear them.

So the vet said he does not think it’s anything like epm or other viral diseases but rather a lesion that is pressing on the spinal cord somewhere that is causing all these symptoms.

Has anyone had anything similar? We have tried dexamethasone for 2 weeks with no relief and previcox doesn’t do much either.
I do wish I could link a video so that everyone could see what I’m talking about it.
Thanks I’m advance

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Looking to see if anyone has a similar experience. Our older gelding, who will be 28yrs old in a few months, has been showing some very worrying signs. Had the vet out, with nothing conclusive as far as the cause.
The issues are ataxia, unsteady gait, frequent stumbling and the biggest problem, is head throwing that seems uncontrollable and gets worse with any kind of stress. I don’t know how to post a video here. So if you have suggestions I’d love to hear them.

So the vet said he does not think it’s anything like epm or other viral diseases but rather a lesion that is pressing on the spinal cord somewhere that is causing all these symptoms.

Has anyone had anything similar? We have tried dexamethasone for 2 weeks with no relief and previcox doesn’t do much either.
I do wish I could link a video so that everyone could see what I’m talking about it.
Thanks I’m advance View attachment 1110085
I don’t know what to say about the horse’s issue but to post a link, click this little button here, which brings up an area where you can enter the URL of a video on, for example, Youtube. Then click insert

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
It could also be a pituitary tumor. Some horses with Cushing's, even undiagnosed or young horses can develop large tumors that cause neurological problems.

At your horse's age especially it might be a good time to consider quality of life. With a spinal lesion or pituitary tumor a horse could end up seizing or losing the ability to move when you are not around, leading to injury or suffering.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I’ll try to upload it to YouTube and then link it here.

Quality of life is something that’s been on my mind for a while. Although in general he’s still happy and active. Enjoys a good roll and groom. Food and treats. Although he doesn’t enjoy his face and neck touched and scratched like he did before. Seems to increase the throwing of the head. As long as I just brush everything after the withers he’s happy. The closer I get to the head the most the tiks bother him. Even if he’s the one that initiates the face scratch to rub the winter coat off.
For Cushing he has no obvious signs. But of course everything is a possibility.
He sleeps more than before, and will lie down to do that sometimes too. But at this age I don’t think extra sleep is abnormal.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just standing he is spaddle legged so there is definitely a stability problem even when not moving. Sometimes the greatest gift to a beloved friend is peace and a release from suffering.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres a few videos of him doing what he does at worst that I have seen it so far.

When at rest he still throws his head around, but not to the same degree. Started with a minor twitch of the head back in November 2020.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is how he stood as the farrier was trying to trim. This was end of Jan 2021.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
My son has Tourettes and it makes me think of him. It could be a neurological issue. Have you checked teeth to ensure no areas of discomfort such as a bad tooth or feed getting caught between cheek and gum? Also might want to clean the ears out to rule out ear mites and any possible infections.

I'm kind of thinking neurological...

Reactions: Kalraii

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Teeth have been checked and floated this Jan, with no abnormalities found. I specifically asked the vet to do a thorough check. Ears seem clear. It’s not jsit the head throwing it’s also the unsteady gait. There’s something def neurological I just don’t know what.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Have they done a panel to rule out EPM and Wobblers Syndrome? It could be a number of things. I don't know what West Nile Virus looks like but I know it can also cause Neurological issue.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No we haven’t. I asked the vet about it and he said in combination with time of year (winter- no bugs to transmit disease), lack of other signs that are normally present with the viral diseases he didn’t feel that it would be helpful at this time. He thinks there’s pressure being put on the spinal cord somewhere along the way.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Like a floating tumor. I've heard of that before. I don't know the proper name for it but I have heard of it. Blood test to check white blood count?

·
Banned
67 Posts

Thanks I’m advance View attachment 1110085
We lost our 29 year old hackney pony a week ago. I hope it’s nothing too serious... ❤

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ll have to look into the floating tumour. No bloodwork was done.
Unfortunately I think it is serious and non curable. And we’re grabbing at last straws at this point. I just want him to be comfortable.

·
Banned
67 Posts
I’ll have to look into the floating tumour. No bloodwork was done.
Unfortunately I think it is serious and non curable. And we’re grabbing at last straws at this point. I just want him to be comfortable.
I understand. So sorry, it’s not easy to be in a situation like this

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I went out yesterday to once again check on Montana. While I was in the house, my dad came in and said Montana was down and couldn’t get up. So we went out and found Montana struggling and but he made it to his feet after quite a bit of effort. That was a relief. However as i stayed and kept an eye on him I noticed that he was very unstable and weak. He was having a hard time not swaying and stumbling. He was agitated and walking in circles and honestly looked like he was searching for a place to die. With a heavy heart I called the vet and made arrangements to let him go same day. Our beautiful boy is no longer with us. I know we did the right thing. But my heart is broken ...

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
I am very, very sorry. Yes, you did the right thing but it must have been very difficult. Sending hugs and thoughts your way.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Oh @Saigold , I am so sorry to read this update. I've admired him over the past few years every time you posted about him. Something about his overall looks and expression made me think he'd be a horse I'd really like to be around. Of course you did the right thing for him, but that doesn't make it any easier. I hope you and your family enjoy wonderful memories of him for a long time to come. ❤

1 - 20 of 27 Posts