The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new horse, Dixie, is suffering with heaves. I've only had her a couple of months, and this is the first I've noticed a problems. About two weeks ago she started with a slight cough when she ate, I thought she was choking on food (she does need her teeth floated, vet is coming August 21).

But now, a couple of mornings when I've brought her in to feed her, she's having obvious problems breathing, using her abdominals to push air out, nose flared, etc. She doesn't seem overly distressed and is otherwise fine, but it's very worrisome to me. I've never dealt with this.

I do know that we seem to have a lot of horses with heaves in the summer months where I live, so I am hoping it's seasonal and can be treated symptomatically.

Vet is coming August 21.

I am wetting her feed. I just read that I should wet her hay as well.

Anything else I can do in the meantime until the vet comes? I don't think this is an emergency situation, as horses live with heaves, but I want to help her if I can.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There was a horse at my old stable who had this. They hosed down the hay, put her in a stall with a run so it was more open, and made sure they wetted down their shavings each night so she wasn't breathing in all the dust.

That is about all they did and she got better.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Dixie is out most of the time and my barn is not close, but an open style barn. I think she will need some meds to get the inflammation under control. Poor girl.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Flax supposedly helps with inflammation. I'm not sure it if would work for your situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts